Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Actuator Control

Pickles

Question

Hello everyone, would the roller shutter 3 be able to control a linear actuator? I’m looking for position control if possible.

Thanks Chris 

3 answers to this question

Hey Chris, yes this is possible, if you have an actuator with 3 wires (up, down, common). But many have a DC motor with 2 wires, and you change direction by changing polarity.  For this you need the Qubino Shutter DC, as Fibaro don't make a DC version. One thing to be aware of is the maximum 2A current allowed.

Have you already selected the actuator?

• Inquirer
  • Thanks Tim, I’ve not bought the actuator yet but the ones I’ve been looking at do only have the two wires. I’ll have a look at the options you’ve suggested.

I’m building a custom projector lift, my initial option was to use a Fibaro dimmer module to control a relay that switched the polarity but the downside is that I don’t have position control. It’s not the end of the world it just means I have to be much more precise with the measurements for the drop as opposed to allowing a slightly bigger drop than needed and using the control to position it. 

If you want to control separate relays, I'd suggest using the Fibaro Double Switch so you can control two relays.  One rigged up to control polarity (DPDT) and the other for on/off (SPST).   I've done this for a ventilation damper - the hassle is that you need create scenes to control the relay sequences (though you can use block scenes).

I'm in the process of setting up a Qubino Flush Shutter DC to control an actuator that opens a window shade. The hassle here is that there is no zwave template for the Qubinos, so there are no advanced parameters available.  I think these can be included manually - a work in progress for me.  For now I can control it using the icons and by the attached switches.  Tip: If you get a 24V motor in your actuator, you can switch twice as much wattage as a 12V motor, given the 2A limit.

This site has a good selection of devices: 

Please login or register to see this link.