Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HCL3 in Slave mode update fails

lsiepel

Question

My main controller is an openhab with usb z-stick instance. This Z-wave network used to have a HCL (previous version) added as slave. All worked perfect. Could do firmwware updates for Fibaro devices and all that. Now i bought a HCL3 and want to add it is as a slave. 

The HCL3Lite does get included in the network, but it doesn't seem to work as expected:
1. most of the devices remain 'not configured' even when i did a reconfigure all / read configuration etc. I have dimmers, switches, motion sensors most of them from fibaro, some from other manufacturer. I cannot why some are and some are not configured.

2. a Fibaro switch needs an update. (3.2 to 3.4) the HCL3 offers me to update it, but it always fails.

3. at Settings > Connect gateway the HCL3 always shows as Master. While it is not. Did several factory resets etc. While it is perfectly added as node to the z-stick, it should know it is a slave...

I'm on version 5.092.19 

Any advice on how i can get this HCL3 in slave mode? 

5 answers to this question

Hi,

First, are you using new Z-Wave engine (beta) or current default one?

As for the answers I will start from last question...

ad3. You mistake one for the other - Gateway Connection is Fibaro implementation of connection gateways using TCP/IP protocol and is not related in any way with having two controllers in the same Z-Wave network.

ad2. Is this device added securely to openhab? If not, this should work without a problem.
With what status firmware update fails?

ad1. So, secondary controller (in this case HC3L) may try to interview the nodes in network but it will only work on mains powered devices, battery operated ones are asleep and wakes only to openhab which means that they never will inform HC3L that they are awake so configuration will never start.
If you are able to configure wakeup destination of your battery operated nodes to HC3L nodeId it should work.

There is one exception, if your network have securely included nodes all of this probably will fail - there is an issue with exchanging security (S0) keys when with two controllers in network - which exist from the start.
This is related to old Z-Wave 2.0 only, new "beta" engine should work ok here.

Generally your configuration is something I would advice not to use, secondary controllers and classes to handle them were developed before Z-Wave network started to be centralized - there were no hubs, only remotes.
Z-Wave devices in most cases can send unsolicited reports to only one destination which means that the actual states of the devices will be correct (actual) only on one controller. 
Additionally battery operated devices (sleeping slaves) can only be woke up to single destination and because of that this will never work ok with two hubs in one network.

Regards,
Michał 

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for helping me out here.

I can't find the used z-wave engine, but i'm on firmware 5.092.19 (beta). So i guess that is the new (beta) engine?

The HCL3 is not securely added to openhab. So if understand your post, the update for the switch should be performed correct.

Maybe not a recommended setup, but this way i hope to keep most of the nodes up to date. It used to work with the old generation home center lite.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • I do not see this tab, not exaclty su re where it should appear, but i only see a Configuration tab.

• Inquirer
  • i left the HCL3 online for several days (and will keep it online) and i just logged in to check the tab you asked for, now i had two devices that needed updating. Both with the same name?! i did update again and now it works. One step forward :-)

Now my other question remains, why are allmost all devices shown as not configured, while most of them are Fibaro mains powered devices. I have atleast 9 dimmers (FGD-212), 2 single switches (FGS-213), 1 double switch (FGS-223) and two smart plugs (FGWPF-102).

I also have some battery devices (from Fibaro and coolcam, like motion and fire sensors), some mains powered devices (like smartplugs from coolcam and one an157) but i guess they will never show up configured?

I only see three configured devices, please advice how to proceed?

Edit: After some fiddling, if i press the soft reconfigure button for this dimmer (named 28 in above screenshot) it fails. It removes devices, adds them and tries to rreconfigure (according to the toast messages) but then fails. Also shown in Notifications. 

Edited by lsiepel