Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to create a countdown timer on button face (maybe with Jgab's extra)

Neo Andersson

I am trying to update a button face of a QA every second for a certain given time.

I have tried it by using JGab's Fibaro extra's functions or just with simple settimeout but couldn't find a proper solution.

Question for Jgab:

Can't we somehow utilize Fibaroextra's Sequence function waiting part ? ex:

Please login or register to see this code.

While the  60s is passing, let's every 1 sec update another button's label - self:updateView ("btn_1", "text", "running for "..x.." sec)

Or what can be the proper way to achieve this?

Thanks

Edited by Neo Andersson

Well, sometimes it can be an issue with the updateView refreshing the UI.

The sequence could be used but it's not necessary - as the real issue is to update the label every second.

and then call it like below. This way you could also  start multiple updates of different buttons in parallell...

Edited by jgab

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, but i can't see where you define btn object?

btn.ref, btn.counter,btn.lbl and btn.fmt are created just by using them?

btn object doesn't need to be defined separately? In your example btn is an object containing properties ref,lbl,counter and fmt.

then when you call the sequence you just define an object btn1 with only two properties lbl and fmt ?

and it's important to define it once as both startButtonUpdate and stopButtonUpdate needs the same btn reference (counter and ref is stored there)

• Topic Author
  • sorry for my bothering, but i still can't get, where you define forexample the btn.ref property?

it is used just inside the startUpdateButton function, so it will be lost outside of the function, am i right?

so when you refer to it in local stopUpdateButton(btn) if btn.ref then clearTimeout(btn.ref); btn.ref=nil end end then it is not storing any value, cause it is a local variable of startUpdateButton 

function.

Sorry, i must be really annoying..my wife is probably right :-)

Why do you change it to 'btn_start' and 'btn_stop' ?

it should be

that is declared on the previous line. Needs to be the same btn. Lua tables are passed by reference so stopUpdateButton and stopUpdateButton will get the same table and it's used to pass common values like .ref 

• Topic Author
  • okay, i changed it back, but the code still needs some brackets..I dont know what you meant by this part:

i mean, local loop() is supposed to be a function definition (and you just missed the function keyword) inside another function or it was supposed to be a variable definition??

i am totally confused

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Neo Andersson

1 hour ago, Neo Andersson said:

okay, i changed it back, but the code still needs some brackets..I dont know what you meant by this part:

i mean, local loop() is supposed to be a function definition (and you just missed the function keyword) inside another function or it was supposed to be a variable definition??

i am totally confused

Sorry, you are right.

It should be