Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 and 24V LED trafo recommendations

sjstrobl

Question

Hello,

I would like to use Fibaro Dimmer 2 to dimm a 24V LED stripe behind a 24V / 100W transformator.

Can anyone recommend a 80-100W 24V LED trafo that is known to work with Fibaro Dimmer 2?

Today, I'm using this trafo (

Please login or register to see this link.

) which works fine with my classical Triac Dimmer, but when connecting Fibaro Dimmer 2 the auto-calibration fails (red LED flashed), in best case I'm able to switch the LED on/off without any dimming...

Thanks!

Stefan

8 answers to this question

For 24V strip, you are better off using the RGBW 2 module, not the Dimmer 2.

You can use this module to power up to 4 individual white LED strips. They can sink quite a lot of power.

Wiring: 

230V - transformer - rgbw2 device - LED strip

• Inquirer
  • Hi.

I do use the RGBW (1) controller in some setups, but I'm generally not so happy using them as the trafo needs to be powered up always and I have no (easy) way to control it from the standard power wall switches. The two RGBW controllers that I have are really poor with remembering the state before they lost power, so running them _behind_ a Fibaro Switch for example is not practical.

In one specific case I additionally want to use the timer function in Dimmer 2 which is not available in RGBW controller.

But generally the Dimmer 2 should work with dimmable 24V trafos right?

Anyone able to recommend one that is known to work?

Thanks!

Stefan

@sjstrobl

You can also use a dimmable LED driver. Then you have Z-Wawe, dimmer and power supply in one package.
    For example...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by RH_Dreambox

• Inquirer
  • @RH_Dreambox,

thanks for the hint, I was not aware of such intelligent DCDC converters.

Unfortunately this solution would leaves me with the same disadvantages of using the Fibaro RGBW controller behind a classical DCDC.

I am in favor of the Fibaro dimmer 2 as it will provide consistent functionality/experience in all my hallway (I use already another Fibaro dimmer in my hallway) and I really like their features, especially

- control (incl dimming) using the classic wall switch

- timout function

- possibility to force a start brightness (to ensure it's not too bright when light goes on at night

- works well with associations between each other as well as the Fibaro motion sensors

I'm surprised there's no experience with dimmable DCDC behind Fibaro Dimmer 2. I would have expected plenty of such applications out there.

Anyone?

Well, maybe I have to actually rethink my complete setup and getting rid of my Fibaro dimmers... :-(

Thanks

Stefan

@sjstrobl

You should of course choose the solution that you think is best for you. But what can you do with a Fibaro dimmer that you can't do with an LED driver?

I use an LED driver for lighting in a staircase (LED strip behind the handrails) where the brightness is controlled by a light sensor, so the darker it gets inside, the brighter the light gets in the staircase.

And I can also dim manually with a push-button if needed.

• Inquirer
  • @RH_Dreambox

I would like to use the timeout function as well as forced initial brightness feature within the fibaro dimmer 2.

I guess I could work around this using rules in my controller but I'm worried about robustness and additional delays which are sensible in my setup as the lights should turn on motion triggered (using associations).

I also don't like the idea to replace my classical wall switch with an intelligent one, for both cost and design reasons.

But I can understand that not everybody shares my way of thinking in this matter... ;-)

Stefan

i've played with this one  once (12V version) and it seemed to dim LED strips ok using Dimmer 2. Didn't end up using it  , cos i felt dimming stair LED strips is not really needed.