Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wall Plug power consumption: Does it work in reverse

ThomasA

Question

I plan to buy a plug in solar module. Those are directly connected to the power via a regular plug. Now I'm wondering if I can use a Wall Plug to monitor the power it produces. Does anyone know if the Wall Plug correctly measures power in "reverse"?

1 answer to this question

Honest answer: I do not know, I haven't tried and I have not seen this question on this forum since I am on it... that is since 2013

Safe answer: No, it does not measure "import" and "export" separately. It *could* do that if it had the right V/A/W chip and then implemented it. The Z-Wave Spec clearly mentions import and export but lists them as two values (scales). I haven't seen any brand report about its "import" measurement capability but I can say with 100% certainty that certain types are definitely incapable of doing it because the hardware cannot measure revers power, eg all cheap WiFi and TuYa based Wall Plugs using the hlw8012 or equivalent chip.

I am thinking of devices with this purpose in mind, but indeed they do not offer the convenience of a "plug" for your setup:

Please login or register to see this link.

With solar production the question is often "do you want to see its production separately" or combined with load, or power injected into the grid... It can be a little tricky and IIR the Aeotec has settings to change how things are reported and added. It is not my field of expertise........ Double check what I say ;)