Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Walli Roller Shuter and Venetian blinds issue

mi38k

Question

Hello all!

I have opened ticket to support with the description below, but the ticket was closed with just thanking me for suggestion of new feature. Which is fine, but I am afraid that the this new feature might take a long time to implement. So I just wanted to ask here, if there is anyone using roller shutters with Venetian blinds having the same problems. Or of course if there are any tips to improve the behaviour, I will be thankful.

I have HC3 and several Walli Roller shutters configured for venetian blinds operation. It is all good, it works fine in a way that I can operate the blinds and lamellas position separately. I have also set the correct value of parameter for full lamellas turn time (2 s in my case).

Full lamellas turn works fine, but here comes the issue. If I want to operate the lamellas in steps, it does not position them correctly. For example, when (via app or HC3 web interface) I set lamellas to turn by 10 %, it barely moves - the time for movement is too low. When I try to get from 0 % to 100 % in 10 % steps, I end up with lamellas opened barely at 50 %, but the interface is of course showing 100 %. 

So, there seems to be a problem with the timing of lower steps. It is hard to measure whether the time given by Walli Shutter to turn by 10 % is exactly 1/10*2 s, so it might be be as well caused by some flat time that the motor need to start operating, but in this case the new parameter that would add flat time to all operations should be created for roller shutters. So for example when I would want lamellas to turn by 10 %, it would move them for 1/10*2+flat time, and when I would want 50 %, it would move them for 1/2*2+flat time.

@m.roszak: Just for you reference, the ticket number is #212880.

Thanks!

14 answers to this question

Hi,

unfortunatelly this issue is more compliicated than it seems to be.

There is a few things you should know:

1. Installation is based on tubular motors without encoders, so Walli RS doesn't know their accurate position.

2. Different motors needs different time for movement start (on the merket are also available motors with soft-start mechanism)

3. Tubular motors operating time strongly depend on external conditions i.e. temperature

4. In Fibaro RS we use relays which reaction time also depends on external and internal conditions

We will think how to manage with this issue.

I think, at this moment if you often controll lamellas by 10% steps, please try to set longer time for full lamellas movement i.e. 3s.

Please let me know if it works or not

• Inquirer
  • Hi @Michał Sz, longer time does not solve the issue as then it spoils operation for full or half lamellas turn. The problem is also when operating by button just for short movement time, the real position of lamellas and the position reported by controller differs the same way. I think the flat time that would be considered during operatios would help a lot - it will probably not be 100 % accurate, but it will be much better as there will no longer be such a big difference between real and reported position. If the difference is so big that the shutter thinks that the lamellas are closed, but in fact they are only half-closed, it is not even possible to close them by holding the button, because the shutter thinks they are already closed.

If you add the flat time parameter, everyone can then estimate the value of it or even change it automatically depending on outside/inside conditions via scene or something if that would be the case. But I believe that just setting some value and leaving it constant would improve my experience a lot.

HI. I don't use roller shuters in this moment (however I plann this), but I have similar situation as described above, when operating Fakro ARZ solar blinds.

One blind works fine. !00% open is 100%, 50 is 50 and so on...

But other 4 - 10% is bearly noticable... 50% makes about 5 inch gap.. (but Fibaro reports 50).

This way I can't never tell from outside, what the real position is.

• Inquirer
  • Hello @Michał Sz,

I just want to ask whether you have already decided about a way to mitigate the inaccuracy - do you see the suggested parameter feasible?

Thanks!

Michal

• Inquirer
  • Like seriously? I have recently purchased several of them and the solution to issue I have described should be buying of new ones? Or will you be willing to swap the old ones for the new ones? Why not the new flat time parameter?

• Inquirer
  • Hello @m.roszak, @A.Socha, may I please kindly ask you for some more info here? It looks like you want to abandon the current Walli RS module and fix it's issues only in a new version, which really does not sound good. If there are any physical limitation of the module HW, why not at least add the suggested SW parameter, which would mitigate the issue to some extent?

That is not our department but I will forward your question for person responsible.

So it looks like no point buying the Walli RS now? Should I wait for a new model/release?

And how about my question regarding Fakro ARZ?

These are z-wave, advertised to be working with Fibaro... but can't open them 50 or so percent... Only full...Also I'm getting msg every morning saying the motors are overpowered...

@Michał Sz is the correct person to answer the question :)
    I am more software guy (HCs), not hardware (devices). 

• Inquirer
  • Hi @Michał Sz, could you please elaborate a little bit please? I think it is important to understand the next steps for customers in this case, as your previous response suggested that you would like to abandon the current Walli RS module. I still hope you will decide to introduce the flat time parameter to the current module...