Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

COB LED

Sjekke

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi,
surely you mean COB Led?
COB Led strips are embedded in a layer of luminophore, so you don't see individual chips, but whole blocks shine.
Working with them is then the same as with ordinary LED strips/lights. You use RGBW2 module or other controller. I tried, for example, from Miboxer (Mi-Light) on Zigbee. With a little effort, it integrated nicely into HC3.
Didn't you mean addressable LED tapes, for example WS 2811 etc?.

eM.

• Inquirer
  • Hi @Martin_N  

I want to use COB LED instead of regular LED strips in the kitchen. They should be around 2200-2700k and preferably controllable via FIBARO RGBW 2 controller or ZIGBEE alike but compatible with FIBARO and/or Homey. On Amazon I find LED from BTF Lightning. The LEDs also come in a profile. Do you have any brand suggestions?

Keep in mind that FCOB strips are actually made of 50 cm segments. Depending on the dimming level, some people notice slight variations in luminosity between the segments.

I did notice in one case, when looking at the strip (directly - which you probably want to avoid).

16 minutes ago, Sjekke said:

I want to use COB LED instead of regular LED strips in the kitchen.

Can see the LED strip? If the answer is "yes" then indeed FCOB strips are more pleasing to the eye, though at high brightness still might hurt your eyes...

I think the main reason to by this is where you have reflective surfaces, like glass or lacquer which reflects the image of the LED strips. You would still "point" the LED strip so it gets reflected indirectly to the observer. eg point the strip upwards if you have a white ceiling

I really recommend you to buy one and try for yourself, lighting solutions are rather personal.

If you want to have LED strips "in sight" then you'd probable want what some call a "fake neon". This is a silicone tube (available in sizes and shapes) with a LED strip inside. The light is very even and spread out.

On Amazon I find LED from BTF Lightning.

I have FCOB from BTF Lighting. Quality is good. But for my personal taste, they are 2700-3000K and I prefer something that can be set to 2200K. I haven't come across 2200 K FCOB yet but that may be a coincidence

Do you have any brand suggestions?

Not really, I do not have time/space/money to test a bunch of FCOB LED strips. I do have WS2812, RGB and APA102 LED strips form BTF and they meet my expectations.

Edited by petergebruers

@petergebruers

>> do have WS2812, RGB and APA102 LED strips form BTFgp

What do you drive ??
    These are digital (direct) LEDs.

@Sjekke  @petergebruers

Who wants to bastulate is a great DYI project called Wled. The right of these shores is based on ESP8266/ESP32. They have their own APIs on Rest or Json, eventually controls directly UDP communication.

I now tested RGB+CCT strip with the HC3 Zigbee module Miboxer Fut039z. It was necessary to make QA to remove the color channel and the temperature of the color, but I can imagine working with it.

I can also imagine that someone writes QA to operate the CCT strip (CW and WW) so that the operator of two canal creates a relevant command to the resulting temperature of the light by connecting to the standard ZWAV module RGBW2 from Fibaro. Unfortunately, I still did not find the Zwave Driver, which would be able to RGB+CCT and resim it with the Millight family away from Fibaro.
    Just to the edge ... the same time soon stops to entertain the change, so Fibaro uses only to turn on/off and eventually change once after time to get a different control.

@Martin_N I do have a bunch of different lighting solutions, and if you are interested and if I find the time then I'll make a dedicated topic. And yes indeed I use WLED!

@petergebruers

I'm a handyman. Then I did not need to use digital tape, but I had already studied the WLED project. I like him a lot.
    For the whole community: yes, if you have a moment, please share your experiences. It will help and inspire a lot of people.
    For me:... like a handyman,... I'll go through it myself, = it will make me happy. (but I will also appreciate the inspiration) :-)

• Inquirer
  • On 1/1/2023 at 9:57 PM, petergebruers said:

I have FCOB from BTF Lighting. Quality is good. But for my personal taste, they are 2700-3000K and I prefer something that can be set to 2200K. I haven't come across 2200 K FCOB yet but that may be a coincidence

Thanks for the info. I also want 2200k ... 3000k is already to white for me. I think I will use normal LED strips. They don't need to be addressable.

On 1/1/2023 at 9:57 PM, petergebruers said:

Not really, I do not have time/space/money to test a bunch of FCOB LED strips. I do have WS2812, RGB and APA102 LED strips form BTF and they meet my expectations.

Ok thx for the feedback

On 1/3/2023 at 9:50 PM, Martin_N said:

@petergebruers

I'm a handyman. Then I did not need to use digital tape, but I had already studied the WLED project. I like him a lot.
    For the whole community: yes, if you have a moment, please share your experiences. It will help and inspire a lot of people.
    For me:... like a handyman,... I'll go through it myself, = it will make me happy. (but I will also appreciate the inspiration) :-)

I will certainly take a look into the WLED project.

I did use the Fibaro RGBW and than the white conection only, to dim and manage the COB licht LED strip See manual how to conect spots)

After add de divece in Home Centre, Under the "General of the new divice at the Richt you see the main id of the divice (RGBW dimmer)

Select the last one an gif it a name and remove the hidden option that is on.

Now you see a new divice. 

I use it on 12volt but 24 is posible!

The RGBW is as you can see also a 12/24 volt dimmer for 5 LED devices

Please login or register to see this attachment.