Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Add power interface to QA thermostat

Hi,

Probably a stupid question..

I have created a QA thermostat..this QA doesnt have any power property (why would it).

This thermostat is controlling a single swithc (underfloor heating)

Can we add somehow a Power property to my therrmostat, that will be representing the power usage of underfloor heating?

Or this is just a sience fiction?

I need to determine, if the thermostat is actually heating or not. Some thermostats have "heatRequired" property, some dont...So is there any proper way to determine, if the thermostat is active or not...something that can be used universally???

THanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

So I am trying to understand what you are hoping to accomplish here. You have a QA which turns on or off a device (in this case an underfloor heating device). Are you hoping to record the theoretical power that is being consumed whenever the heater is turned on? Or does this device, when enabled (turned on by the QA), cycle on and off based on some temperature sensor associated with the device (and not your HC3). I have installed a QA to connect to a Google Nest Learning Thermostat. With it I can set the heating and cooling setpoints as well as which mode the system is set to operate (heating, cooling, auto (either one), fan only, and off). But the thermostat device (the thing on the wall) actually tells the HVAC system in the attic when to turn on or off. Granted, I can interrogate the thermostat and find out if the HVAC system is operating, but my HC is not doing the actual control. Of course the QA would have no REAL confirmation the the HVAC was actually running, just that the thermostat was telling it to run. There does come a point when getting actual feedback becomes challenging, i.e. if the natural gas were shut off, the heat would be "on" but there would be no flame, and thus no heat generated. If I wanted to calculate the energy consumption of my HVAC system I could figure out how many KWH were being consumed when the system was running (which is different when the A/C is on versus when the heat is on) and/or I could probably figure out how many cubic feet of natural gas is burned per hour of operation, and accumulate those values over time. However, energy costs in the USA are not so expensive that I would be interested in those values enough to warrant going to that trouble. But it wouldn't be TOO challenging.

So, with that being said, I figure you want some kind of feedback from your device when it is heating or not. You want more than just that it is enabled. Is this what I understand you are asking about?

Edited by PeterV959
Added more comments

• Topic Author
  • In general my problem is, that i have several quickapps that need information about a certain heating device, whether it is actually heating or not. The information, that the thermostat's setpoint is higher or lower than the room's temperature is quite misleading, as it never determines if the switch (controlling the underfloor heating), or a radiator thermostat head is actually opened.

The other thing is, that if its heating, i would need some interface, or linked device, that can calculate the time used for real heating, or maybe it could implement its energy data to the energy panel...idk..

Tere is a solution, that is relaying on some calculated data and on the information mentioned above, that the heating process is actually active.

So i create a switch, and it has a property named "Configuration of power and energy reports" on his Advanced tab, where we can define the watt power usage of the device, and we can turn on/off this device by a scene, or by a Lua code when for example our thermostat on radiator is in heating mode...than this switch with that energy data can be seen in energy panel...

This sounds good, if someone can tell a radiator's  power usage...ehhh..10 years old radiators, who the hell would remember these data..anyway..some information can be googled out or get from some producers, than this might work.

Anyway i have given up chasing a general solution for this, and to be honest a completely forgot about this topic, but i thank you for you interest..

I am not looking for this solution anymore, because i found out that it is too complicated, too inaccurate and too space consuming in a HC3.

Thanks anyway