Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Lights pulsing when using Tesla Powerwall

aaa426

Question

I've recently installed a Tesla Powerwall (whole house battery backup), and when it is in use all the lights in the house using the Dimmer module start pulsing (with a frequency of about 1 pulse per second).  It's only noticeable when they are set to be quite dim, but that's most of the time.

I found some forum posts indicating that the slow pulsing might be the response to an 'alarm', but I've disabled the 'Response to General Purpose Alarm' parameter and that hasn't stopped the pulsing.  I can't see any other parameters which look like they might be relevant.

I don't see anything which looks related in the console or notifications output in the web client.

Anyone got any ideas about what to try next?

3 answers to this question

It is already problematic for led bulbs and dimmers to work correctly on their own at low power without flickering, never mind taking into account power level fluctuation in the home. I would think it is worth a try to isolate the dimmer from the bulb and by swapping different devices, the precise interaction between the two differs from device to device. The good news is that you know it is the Powerwall. Random flickering lights has been a source of frustration for me over the years. My problems were intermittent and I always assumed it was not from the controller or a Z-Wave signal but rather the power/light dimming balance being disturbed by a power source. Maybe I have a neighbor with a Powerwall. My problem just ended up going away after a few years. 

Edited by RedRocketFire

That's somewhat concerning if it's the Powerwall that is creating the interference. You might want to contact them for comment and a solution. Would be interesting to put an oscilloscope on and see what the waveform is, and then see if you can get an appropriate filter. This all likely to cost a fair bit of money though.

You might find something useful here: 

• Inquirer
  • Thank you @RedRocketFireand @Tim__ - sorry I didn't reply sooner!

I've discovered that Powerwalls are a bit 'fast and loose' with the frequency the generate - for example, in the US they shift the output from 60Hz up to 66Hz when full to as a hack to trigger connected solar panels to stop producing power; but that on request they'll dial that back.  So I've reached out to Tesla tech support to see if they'll do the same in the UK.  Hopefully that will sort the problem :-)