Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 wiring -and scene activation

Max28

Question

Good afternoon everyone,

This is my first post, hopefully I post it on the right section, if not; i am truly sorry and feel free to show me what the correct location should be.

What is my goal?

I am currently trying to install a Fibaro Dimmer 2, which will be behind our double pulse switch in our bathroom to control the (non dimmable, low wattage) light -and for the other button to activate a scene in order to start the ventilation. After searching for a reference on google I understood I can only use the Dimmer 2 due to a lack of a neutral line.

What is blocking me?

1. After installation the light switch seemed to be working fine, however it's flickering and doesnt turn-off fully. I understood from this forum that this is due the lack of a neutral line and possibly could be fixed using a Bypass 2. 

2. Not entirely sure how to allow the second button to activate the scene. After looking around on the forum I should adjust parameter 28 and go from there?

What am I asking to you fellow smart home enthousiasts?

1. I am at the point that I am entirely sure if the wiring is done correctly, can someone confirm this is 'the way to go'?

2. If the dimming option is not possible, that wouldn't be dealbreaker. My goal is to make it possible to switch it off/on.  (as my 'other half' keeps forgetting to switch it back off, probably a well known problem here.. 🤐)

3. I would like make the button a started for my virtual scene to activate the ventilation which is already connected Fibaro.

Hopefully the wiring diagram below is clear enough to sketch the situation, if not, i'll be happy to make adjustments where needed. Thanks in advance for taking your time!

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2023_11/image.png.35b5e622441c9fdddbdb4e2c80769560.png" />

Edited by Max28
correction

3 answers to this question

Hi @Max28 ,

and welcome to the forum!

here are my few thoughts:

On 11/30/2023 at 5:04 PM, Max28 said:

What is blocking me?

1. After installation the light switch seemed to be working fine, however it's flickering and doesnt turn-off fully. I understood from this forum that this is due the lack of a neutral line and possibly could be fixed using a Bypass 2. 

Since connected bulbs are not dimmable you need to set parameter 32 to value 1 - on/off mode enabled (dimming is not possible). In this case you definitely do not need bypass.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:04 PM, Max28 said:

2. Not entirely sure how to allow the second button to activate the scene. After looking around on the forum I should adjust parameter 28 and go from there?

Yes, parameter 28 needs to be set to value 1 - functionality activated. Depending on type of switches used by parameter 20 dimmer will send centralSceneEvent that can then trigger scene which has this code in left part for declarations:

Please login or register to see this code.

Here is what dimmer 2 will send to HC3 depending on switch type used:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Since I'm  still on HC2 I didn't really test above solution on CH3 and how it really works. For example, in above code found in their manual I do not see scene ID parameter, but only which key is used an what action is made like "Pressed". Fibaro is known for providing very bad manuals and instructions so you will have to relay on forum members to find out how to setup this properly.

Above wiring is correct and everything else depends on solution used. On all dimmer 2 I have two momentary switches connected. S1 is rarely used to either force light to turn on or off while S2 is used to run scene with different actions depending on number of clicks. All my lighting is automated in the way that lights turn on on motion detected and turn off when there is no motion detected for specified time.

We can still keep lights turned on depending on some other conditions regardless of turn off timer. For example in bathrooms light will stay on if door is closed, or special light mode is activated by S2 switch (e.g. showering light mood, or bathing light mood). Living room lights are using watch TV light mood activated by turning TV and is reset when TV is turned off. There are also other light states or moods like reading, learning, party etc. :-) This is all possible with UHAS for HC2 that is available here in download section. Now I started to work on UHAS for HC3 that will be even better thanks to HC3 quick apps and other improved stuff.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Hi @Sankotronic,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed answer!

I will definitely order a bypass 2 to solve the issue for the light to now going fully off (-and adjust parameter 32 to "1")

Edited by Max28
    Partially solved my question myself

• Inquirer
  • Hi @Sankotronic,

The Bypass 2 arrived, after installation the issue has indeed been resolved.

Thank you so much for the clear help!

• Like 1