Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Engine 3 beta

Neo Andersson

Question

Hello guys

I want to try Zwave engine 3 in one of my instalations. I know, it is in beta, but maybe some of you have more experiences with it.

The system will have Heltun wall switches, Fibaro RGBW moduls, Heltun thermostats and Aeotec 7 motions sensors.

Does anyone tried these devices with engine 3?

Shall we try, or is it still unreliable?

Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

Yes, I have an extensive experience. And it's very poor experience. Being completely new to Fibaro and have no help from others I turn Zwave 3 when configuring the central.

First disturbing thing is problem with adding devices, mainly battery. It's worse when you turn on the encryption: you can try ten times with no result. Other device - it will succeed at first time.

But this is not the worst. Soon appears the problems with communication device-central. The problem increases with number of devices with no particular repeating pattern.

This winter when it was -15 C here, the heating based on nine Fibaro Heat Controllers completely stop working. HC does not react to command sent from central, smart implant turn on and off the gas oven with no reason, horror.

All (almost all) problems void when I go back to older zwave. This forces me to set up ~60 devices from scratch.

Do not do it to yourself. Zv 3 must be early beta.

Edited by Łukasz997
  • Thanks 1

What is beta version?

Google: beta version (plural beta versions) (computing) An early version of a program or application that contains most of the major features, but is not yet complete. Sometimes these versions are released only to a select group of people, or to the general public, for testing and feedback.

I think it is not advisable to install anything marked as beta to clients except if they are aware of possible failures and agree to be test subjects. Same goes for HC3 zigbee. As long it is in beta, users can test it, but not expect that will work reliably since as above description says it is not yet complete. ;-)

• Like 2

• Inquirer
  • 27 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

What is beta version?

Google: beta version (plural beta versions) (computing) An early version of a program or application that contains most of the major features, but is not yet complete. Sometimes these versions are released only to a select group of people, or to the general public, for testing and feedback.

I think it is not advisable to install anything marked as beta to clients except if they are aware of possible failures and agree to be test subjects. Same goes for HC3 zigbee. As long it is in beta, users can test it, but not expect that will work reliably since as above description says it is not yet complete. ;-)

Thanks, i know the term and meaning of BETA. I was asking about others experiences. I have some customers that are opened to take the risk, but i wanted to know the depth of the risk we are going to take. From these answers it is clear to me to not go for it. Thanks for the help

2 godziny temu, Sankotronic napisał:

What is beta version?

When it came to choose the engine, you have to read few words about two engines and make a choice (no revert, visible only once). Text is very confusing for someone "green". Something like this: when you choose z2 please be informed that's obsolete and receive no support (sic!). I don't remember exactly the text about z3, but my choice to z3 was made after reading those short info. I also know what's beta, but z3 was "less terrifying" in this short description.

Edited by Łukasz997