Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How Relay module works

ccesario

Question

Hello all,

I'm analyzing  FGS 211/221 relays to automate a wall switch and it seems that is perfect for me.

But I have a doubt, and I would like to know if someone could help me.

With this product, can I switch ON/OFF by wall switch and by Z-Wave controller right ?

What happen in the following situation:

If I change the wall switch to ON and using Z-Wave controller/interface I change the state to OFF (without touch in wall switch). The next time that I change the wall switch it will turn ON the relay. right ? The wall switch will work as "toggle" switch. 

Could you help with this doubt?

Best regards,

Carlos

4 answers to this question

I've not tested this, but I think you're wrong. The wall switch has an off and an on position. if the relay is switched off while the wall switch is 'on' position, nothing will happen when you wall-switch it of. (I think).

cheers

emiel

Carlos, it works exactly as you describe it. Suppose the switch is down and the lamp is off... then you toggle the switch up. Now the light goes on. Then you use the android app to switch the light off. Now toggle the switch down again and the light will switch on.

I have that kind of switch and for the dual relay with twin switch that might seem odd. Maybe the two relays are off, but th left switch is up and the right one is down. That's odd. But maybe two days later the situation reverses!

In fact, the module is configurable to accept a (double) push button, which is slightly less confusing.

Also, if you would prefer to have your wall switch to always operate the same way (ie, up is ON and down is OFF) you can adjust the relay for that as well. The only down side is, that if you turn on the light from wall switch, turn it off via Z-wave, then the next time you want to turn the light on from the wall switch you will need to switch it first off then on again. Not very comfortable for say a light switch, but very very useful when controlling a sauna heater for instance, where the switch orientation might be important.