Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wall Mount Touch Controller

elev8john

Question

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has had any experience using the Fibaro RGBW control puck with a wall mounted touch control?

I wanted to achieve installation of wall controls such as this one:

Please login or register to see this link.

In parallel with the Fibaro RBW controller, so that manual operation of the lights (strip) and Ipad control can be made active.

An immediate issue I see is that the voltage signal from the Fibaro would back feed into the wall control and visa versa. One interfering with the other. Since both devices are designed to do the same thing.

Since it is DC voltage I had thought about diodes (no pun intended) but surly someone here has already asked this question or at least been down this road. 

Would appreciate any feed back, help  or ideas please.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 answers to this question

These devices are basically parallel TRIAC dimmers which dim each channel on the RGBW, so I don't see how it can be done. It is basically like trying to use two power sources for the same device.

Using diodes probably won't work either as they introduce a voltage drop which might result in the LEDs not lighting up. And even if they did, you would get some really strange dynamics as the pulses from the two controllers are not synchronized, so you will get a mix of the setting of each controller. Only when one controller is set to completely off will the other work correctly.

You will need to look for some mode of control where you only have one controller and then a remote unit to control the main controller. I'm using Samsung Galaxy Note 3 as wall controllers - but you can probably find something on ebay with a smaller screen which could work together with the Fibaro android app - alternatively, if you have a webserver, I might have some nice looking php-scripts which can help you out.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks Dalle, sound advice albeit not an ideal solution as I liked the look of these wall controllers. They do provide same functionality in terms of color mixing as Fibaro and not just dimmers. However, I get your point in the parallel sense it wouldn't work. Ill look for some Android devices and see how the Fibaro app looks on them as you say....

Cheers