Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

some customer questions

screamwarner

Question

hi i have been asked to answer the questions bellow could anyone help i have been using the hc2 but not really up on the hcl. if anyone can answer i would appreciate it regards simon.

1) I can't seem to find many reviews online about the lite. Amazon UK has a few reviews on the lite and they're not great and they are the only thing worrying me. What is your view on the lite, given the amazon comments?

2) When was HCL released and do you know if there is a newer version due to be released in the near future?

3) I note that the key difference between  the HC2 and HCL is LUA programming. I'm not familiar with coding at all. Is LUA code something a beginner could handle easily without devoting much time?

4) I note that HCL cannot handle complex scenarios which HC could via LUA. Can I have a couple of example complex scenarios that HCL could not handle? I'd like to make sure the HCL can do the sorts of things I'd like it do to.

5) I already have nest smoke alarms and plan to install a 3rd generation nest thermostat (when released). You have confirmed that HCL works with Nest. Is it easy to link the two together?

6) I already own three D-link 932L IP cameras. I've read somewhere (I think) that hubs can be connected to D-link IP cameras. Do you know if the HCL can be connected to D-link 932L, if so is it easy to do it?

7) Does HCL have a facility where it can read my location via GPS and react accordingly? Is this done via phones?

10) I note HCL does not have voice activation. I have also read that devices like Echo (Amazon USA) can be used to control smart hubs via voice activation. If I decide I wanted voice activation later, are there products I could use to do this with the HCL?

11) Does that HCL have IFTTT?

3 answers to this question

hi i have been asked to answer the questions bellow could anyone help i have been using the hc2 but not really up on the hcl. if anyone can answer i would appreciate it regards simon.

1) I can't seem to find many reviews online about the lite. Amazon UK has a few reviews on the lite and they're not great and they are the only thing worrying me. What is your view on the lite, given the amazon comments?

2) When was HCL released and do you know if there is a newer version due to be released in the near future?

3) I note that the key difference between  the HC2 and HCL is LUA programming. I'm not familiar with coding at all. Is LUA code something a beginner could handle easily without devoting much time?

4) I note that HCL cannot handle complex scenarios which HC could via LUA. Can I have a couple of example complex scenarios that HCL could not handle? I'd like to make sure the HCL can do the sorts of things I'd like it do to.

5) I already have nest smoke alarms and plan to install a 3rd generation nest thermostat (when released). You have confirmed that HCL works with Nest. Is it easy to link the two together?

6) I already own three D-link 932L IP cameras. I've read somewhere (I think) that hubs can be connected to D-link IP cameras. Do you know if the HCL can be connected to D-link 932L, if so is it easy to do it?

7) Does HCL have a facility where it can read my location via GPS and react accordingly? Is this done via phones?

10) I note HCL does not have voice activation. I have also read that devices like Echo (Amazon USA) can be used to control smart hubs via voice activation. If I decide I wanted voice activation later, are there products I could use to do this with the HCL?

11) Does that HCL have IFTTT?

1- Depends of what you want. If you want full automation, I can say only one thing - dont buy HCL! People wants to save on it and then they complain. HCL is for basic automation, it can handel a lot of things, but if you want to play with it, integrate things,... just go for HC2.

In my opinion HCL was made as a slave device for HC2 for big instalations. I think it should never be sold separately, as most of the customer will want the futures that are missing there.

2- This info you will never get from Fibaro. And honestly I dont think new HCL will come any time soon. Not even HC2 in new version. There is no need for that, the device is powerfull enough.

3- This is what I alway say to my clients - you dont need to know how to code to use LUA. Guys here on forum are amazing and they make a lot of good codes and they share it. I take the smart light code. You copy and paste it, change ID of devices (just change 5 numbers) and you are all done. Your room has amazingly automatic system of lighting. Eventually you will learn LUA, as I am doing slowly, but you can learn it realy fast, as you can convert the block scenes into lua and you can see what is where, really usefull, I think they should be teaching coding this way.

But be casrefull, LUA is not the only difference. There is more. Alarm integration, Intercomm, Plugins (you can use only 5 in HCL), voice control (LILI), and HC2 is more stable, can handle more, it is faster and remote access works much better. It is just better device. And updates - you get 15 updates on HC2 while only one on HCL.

4- Well, as example again, the smart lights - if you want to do that with blocks, hmm, you spend months on it and you need to do it for every room and it will still not works as good. Other than that virtual devices are much better in LUA. But to answer your question - if you want to make your system behave differently in different situations, understand have a little inteligent to it, you are better with LUA. It is hard to say exact scene, because I believe most of the things you can achieve with blocks, but it is much more difficult.

5- Nest should work with plugin (in HCL you have only 5 available!). You just click on Nest plugin, click install and write the IP address of the NEST. Simple. But let me tell you, if you are spending 300 euros on nest you should not be thinking about HCL. This is like buying DSLR camera for 5000 and using only some old kit lense. You will be much better with HC2 and some basic termostat than with HCL and Nest.

6- I used it for a while and yes, you can use them even with HCL. Instalation via plugins (still you have only 5 available, you see how easy you run out of them, then you will want XBMC plugin, Wake on lan and you are done

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

7- Yes, you can trigger scenes by your (or any other connected) phone. As soon as you log in to the application, Fibaro remembers your phone and if you allow it, it can track it. Remember, if you have GPS in your phone OFF the tracking will not be accurate. If it is ON you battery will dye. This is nice marketing I think, but there are many better ways how to turn on your house when you comming home. I tested GPS but honestly, hard to use.

8 - 9 - well, there is no 8-9 question

/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> good

10- You are right, Lili is not working in HCL. That said, you can do voice control via android tasker and autovoice.  You can do that even with android wear . Check in minute 3:

If you are apple iPhone user, I have one anser for you - get android

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But still, this is something that will take you a lot of time. It is much much simplier to do it just by writing Lili command to the devices list.

Amazon Echo - I am looking for info about integration too, but hey, even if they make it work, you are 50% 50% if it will work with HCL and then you are 50% 50% if you still will have free plugin or you will need to get rid of something (still 5 of them

/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ).

11- no officialy, there is a way how to do it, but even though I think it uses LUA. Check on the forum.

Hope I helped. If you would be bying from me, I already see that you want too many things to work with HCL so I would advice you to get HC2 devinitelly. If you use the word "integration" you should not go with HCL. And basically you used it for nest, amazon, Dlink...

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

No problem

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Welcom to Fibaro family