Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

VD seen as power meter device and used in energy panel

onesim

Question

Hi,

i've created a virtual device showing instantaneous power and other info about overall consumption of my house (measures are made right after the main meter from energy company)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Is there any way to have this virtual device seen as a power metering device (like the fibaro power plug) so it will be considered in the energy panel?

Any glue to obtain it? Maybe through some plug in or specifically defined virtual device code providing data as a physical device will do?

In general, maybe it would be nice to have virtual devices classified by functions, as physical devices are (ligthing, control switches etc)

Many thanks

Simone

7 answers to this question

It will be when user plugins are available again, then it can be set as Temp sensor. So VD will need to transformed into a Plugin.

Guest samuelboerhoop

What device did you use to measure the power consumption in your VD ? How did you convert it to the lua code?

There exists a workaround for this problem. If you have for example a  2 x 1.5 kW switch in your house where you use only one of two relais, you could use the other one to simulate the power consumption. All you have to do is to use the REST API to set the power value of the unused relais (and switch on the power monitoring for this relais). You can then make your VD to vary the power values through the REST API. I use theis workaround for monitoring of the power consumption of my heating pump.

• Inquirer
  • What device did you use to measure the power consumption in your VD ? How did you convert it to the lua code?

I just extract the data from a string obtained through an httprequest in lua code.. i can post the lua code if you're interested, it's really simple.

About the HW, I've built the energy meter by myself, it's a pcb with a transformer for voltage, a clamp probe for current and a micro that computes the power related quantities (based on the OpenEnergyMonitor project). This board is connected to a raspberry that "simply" acts as a webserver, it reply to the http request from HC2 VD with the energy data.

• Inquirer
  • There exists a workaround for this problem. If you have for example a  2 x 1.5 kW switch in your house where you use only one of two relais, you could use the other one to simulate the power consumption. All you have to do is to use the REST API to set the power value of the unused relais (and switch on the power monitoring for this relais). You can then make your VD to vary the power values through the REST API. I use theis workaround for monitoring of the power consumption of my heating pump.

Really nice idea!!! Of course if Fibaro team come up with a more direct way to do that, it will be cleaner, but in the meantime what you suggest is a nice workaround.

There exists a workaround for this problem. If you have for example a  2 x 1.5 kW switch in your house where you use only one of two relais, you could use the other one to simulate the power consumption. All you have to do is to use the REST API to set the power value of the unused relais (and switch on the power monitoring for this relais). You can then make your VD to vary the power values through the REST API. I use theis workaround for monitoring of the power consumption of my heating pump.

Hi gromtron!

Do you have some code snippets? I would like to 'simulate' some analogue values and can see them in the consumption page.

I was thinking about to use this 'hack' for monitoring some temperature values from my RasPi if it's possible  ...

Thanks in advance

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_biggrin.gif" alt=":-D" />