Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Swipe is very good. Give it a go.

robmac

Til they came with recomendation, i'm stuck with tape for reccomending "how to install" to our dealers.

I tested one Swipe and i hold it under table 3 cm thick it works better than on table.

Do you know about some some backbox, that can be used to mount ti into wall or under table? Becouse, what i found only something like that (

Please login or register to see this link.

). But still Fibaro needs to tell us how to mount it behind a wall.

Do you have any ideas how to mount it for example under table without using a tape?

I just received mine today and think it is fantastic. it reacts very fast in usb mode to all gestures

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" />

My immediate use is going to be under a hall table to to enable AWAY / HOME modes when leaving

I tried it under a counter top (35mm solid walnut) and it seems to beep a lot and not react to to swipes.

Did you have to set some parameters to get it working ?

(there are lots of parameters and they reference a 'full manual' - does anybody know where I can find this ?

thanks

-F

when mounting under the table, the best is to disable menu function (Parm. 7 on 1)

when mounting under the table, the best is to disable menu function (Parm. 7 on 1)

Thanks - that seems to be another problem I'm having

I can't get a parameter change to save (tried chrome and FF)

If I change a parameter and save it (right sidebar) The original parameter value (default) is still selected and the parameter value I'm selecting has "Last Set Value" indicated but it wont take...

I used the b button to include it

Am I missing something ? 

Even on usb, this device behaves as if it was battery operated. So you need to wake up the device, to get parameter changes.

thanks Peter, that worked a treat.

I'm still having an issue with it working under/behind something.

I have been working with just the inner plate (no frame, back to top 'photo' cover)

it reacts correct in this state but even if I add the top frame with the photo in it, it start to fail to recognise the gestures

Any ideas - or did I just get a 'monday morning' one ?

Hmm, I haven't tried many objects on top of the sensor plate. Only some random stuff like a book and some plastic stuff. Im 99% certain that neither the cover, nor the bottom part are essential. The circuit board generates an electric field, some materials affect that field more than others. The USB power supply might interfere too, I know someone who had trouble with one particular brand. I've tried a few (Samsung, Huawei and no-brand Chinese extra cheap) and they were all OK.

I'm trying a few different books and getting better results.

I didn't think about the power supply, I'll try a few different ones

thanks

okay - the not so scientific 'results are in'

power supplies are all okay, tried a variety

back and front case seem to make no difference to its operation

I can get about 30-35mm mm of air (or lego blocks) between my hand the pad and it works - any more and it doesn't work.

A kids book of about 5mm  - failure

A leather 2-3mm placemat, - failure

1mm corrugated cardboard - failure

1mm hardboard - failure

1mm light paper booklet - failure

I cant imagine 20 mm stone/quartz/countertop working as the promo video showed

I didnt have a piece of plaster/wall board to test 

@ fibaro / A.Socha - Are these the results you expected or do I have a 'bad' one

@ jakub.jezek & MaTi - How thick was the material, what material and did you adjust any parameters (other than 7)

still think its a cool device but may need to rethink my initial use case

PS: What would be great would be one about the size of a wall light switch (for about €50-60) and use it for room light/music/etc control  

(...)

1mm corrugated cardboard - failure

(...)

Thanks for testing. I think that test should pass... I don't know what we can learn from this, but if you find the time to do an experiment... Change Parameter 6 to "2 - the Swipe does not enter power saving mode" then use the device on batteries. See if the response is different. Setting the parameter is essential, the other options save battery but make the device noticeably less sensitive.

Thanks for testing. I think that test should pass... I don't know what we can learn from this, but if you find the time to do an experiment... Change Parameter 6 to "2 - the Swipe does not enter power saving mode" then use the device on batteries. See if the response is different. Setting the parameter is essential, the other options save battery but make the device noticeably less sensitive.

yes, should be no bother to do that tomorrow

thanks for the help and advise

-F

okay the next set of 'scientific results' are in .. and I'd say that Pete suspected what I observed.

Batter power set to non sleep (Par 6, set to 2)

First my 'pro' testing jig.(*I'll post a pic later)

Swipe located under a 38mm solid walnut countertop held up with lego ( I found the lego plastic had the same effect as air during my initial testing)

I kept all metals (watches, etc) and spare hands away from the swipe

Running on batteries with the sleep disabled - the swipe was responsive to 4 out of 5 swipes (L-R or R-L)

Switch to running on USB power - this success dropped to 1 in 30 ( practically zero)

I tried multiple USB power supplies (iphone, the FXFactory .3A  and a powercube) and even USB cables

It would appear thethe swipe is a good bit more sensitive running on batteries. I wonder if the power circuitry that is 'converting' the USB power' interfering more with the magnetic field than the circuitry 'converting' the power from the batteries.

I'd be very interested in seeing if somebody else could replicate my testing and see if they observe the same behavior

Still a great gadget but may limit my initial application....

-F

okay the next set of 'scientific results' are in .. and I'd say that Pete suspected what I observed.

Batter power set to non sleep (Par 6, set to 2)

First my 'pro' testing jig.(*I'll post a pic later)

Swipe located under a 38mm solid walnut countertop held up with lego ( I found the lego plastic had the same effect as air during my initial testing)

I kept all metals (watches, etc) and spare hands away from the swipe

Running on batteries with the sleep disabled - the swipe was responsive to 4 out of 5 swipes (L-R or R-L)

Switch to running on USB power - this success dropped to 1 in 30 ( practically zero)

I tried multiple USB power supplies (iphone, the FXFactory .3A  and a powercube) and even USB cables

It would appear thethe swipe is a good bit more sensitive running on batteries. I wonder if the power circuitry that is 'converting' the USB power' interfering more with the magnetic field than the circuitry 'converting' the power from the batteries.

I'd be very interested in seeing if somebody else could replicate my testing and see if they observe the same behavior

Still a great gadget but may limit my initial application....

-F

I found complete opposite... usb power was SO ACCURATE and fast! USB power was a bitch to get circular gestures etc working

But to be honest I NEVER expect anything with 'Fibaro' stamped on it to work as advertised so I purchase knowing it is a risk... and accept it '*' or not!

is the swipe "fibaro" only?

did someone test it on other zwave controllers?

I found complete opposite... usb power was SO ACCURATE and fast! USB power was a bitch to get circular gestures etc working

But to be honest I NEVER expect anything with 'Fibaro' stamped on it to work as advertised so I purchase knowing it is a risk... and accept it '*' or not!

Thanks batman,

I meant to add that to results are all under the counter

Under normal operations it works fine

Did you try it under or behind something?

@autofrank. Thanks for reporting back. Another long shot from me... I suppose you are using the base of the unit? That is not necessary, the base only contains the batteries plus the electronics to switch between batteries and USB power. You can connect the USB to the module/pcb assembly directly and use it like that. I guess that makes mounting easier too, but I'm a terrible mechanic.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

@akatar, I haven't tested it, but at a minimum you should be able to use association:

1st Association Group – “Lifeline” reports the device status and allows for assigning single device only (main controller by default).

2nd Association Group – “Flick UP” is assigned to moving the hand up over the panel (sends Basic Set command frames)

3rd Association Group – “Flick DOWN” is assigned to moving the hand down over the panel (sends Basic Set command frames)

4th Association Group – “Flick LEFT” is assigned to moving the hand from the right to the left side of the panel (sends Basic Set command frames)

5th Association Group – “Flick RIGHT” is assigned to moving the hand from the left to the right side of the panel (sends Basic Set command frames)

6th Association Group – “Circular AirWheel” is assigned to circular move of the hand clockwise or counter-clockwise over the panel (sends Switch Multilevel Start/Stop Level Change command frames)

But for full functionality, the controller has to support the Z-Wave Plus "Central Scene" class. I do have one other Z-Wave controller, but unfortunately it's in use for another project so I can't test it for you.

@autofrank. Thanks for reporting back. Another long shot from me... I suppose you are using the base of the unit? That is not necessary, the base only contains the batteries plus the electronics to switch between batteries and USB power. You can connect the USB to the module/pcb assembly directly and use it like that. I guess that makes mounting easier too, but I'm a terrible mechanic.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

@akatar, I haven't tested it, but at a minimum you should be able to use association:

1st Association Group – “Lifeline” reports the device status and allows for assigning single device only (main controller by default).

2nd Association Group – “Flick UP” is assigned to moving the hand up over the panel (sends Basic Set command frames)

3rd Association Group – “Flick DOWN” is assigned to moving the hand down over the panel (sends Basic Set command frames)

4th Association Group – “Flick LEFT” is assigned to moving the hand from the right to the left side of the panel (sends Basic Set command frames)

5th Association Group – “Flick RIGHT” is assigned to moving the hand from the left to the right side of the panel (sends Basic Set command frames)

6th Association Group – “Circular AirWheel” is assigned to circular move of the hand clockwise or counter-clockwise over the panel (sends Switch Multilevel Start/Stop Level Change command frames)

But for full functionality, the controller has to support the Z-Wave Plus "Central Scene" class. I do have one other Z-Wave controller, but unfortunately it's in use for another project so I can't test it for you.

@peter

Thanks for the info....

I was working with it without any casing initially and then I reassembled so I could have a jig that switched easily between battery and USB power. I will try the same but without the case but I suspect the same as you in that it won't make any difference..

I'm puzzled as to why it's more responsive under a kitchen counter with batteries ( at least in my testing )

It would be good if somebody else could replicate mybtesting and see what they find

My only explanation is some interference in the magnetic field from the electronics or ringing from the power.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this site fibaro can improve what I think is a great device. I also think that hiding this behind a wall/under a counterv could become a very popular use case.

I'll keep going report if I find anything else if interest

-F