Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How often does your HC connect to Google? About 5000 times / hour!

speedy

Guest fat

@Fibaro

How does Fibaro's Data Safety statement "

Please login or register to see this link.

relates to this topic where data is being sent to Google?

That's a good question. They shut down the Alexa Skill thread because of this. The crap thing about that is that Fibaro have refused to integrate the Alexa because "it doesn't allow decent level of integration" but as soon as someone has done it they close the thread. Rubbish attitude!!!

Please login or register to see this code.

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_wink.gif" alt=";-)" />

EDIT: for browsers:

Strange...I am not able to access the T&C (link to Google UK) to study its implications before I decide whether to install.

Please login or register to see this code.

Just bought a HC2 and flabbergasted to see traffic dripping through to Google of all places on a 60 seconds ongoing stream. I'm wondering what is changing in my newly acquired HC2 that could be of interest ( in almost real-time) to anybody in the world besides alarm stages to support unlegal operations. I'm also puzzled by the fact that the so called 'stand-alone' selling proposition is not challenged more by present users. The Fibaro marketing sales-point over the cloud based systems is just privacy.

Furthermore, the acquistion of the HC seems to be with strings attached. Ownership of the machine seems not be fully honnored. I'm sure, from a legal point, this can be challenged as it is interfering directly with the owner his/her privacy. As I've just bought the machine I'm now considering sending it back only based on the above observations.

At the present I've blocked all traffic from the machine to the outside world. Although this works, I'm still having unwanted packages floating within my LAN. This situation undermines my replacement strategy from a cloud based unit to this 'private' unit regarded as 'benchmark product'.

Not amused at all!

P.

Hi all,

i am also not a fan of google and google analytics. I hope fibaro knows, that in germany google analytics can used only in special terms based on data privacy laws.

And one of the points is, that anyone who buildin google analytics into there producs, has also to put in an opt out possible, to switch OFF google Analytics. Additonal the IP Address has to be anonymise.

If you dont do this, that breake german data privacy laws.

Other question to fibaro, why HC2 send everyday 495-498MB Data to Internet, even i dont used the gui since days? 

Probably yes, but beter question: do they care?

Does anyone knows the range of IP address associated to 'Google Analytics'?

Oh man if only it was that simple. alas i was never able to block google from installing on my PC inspite of trying very very hard. the damned corporation is omnipresent and trojans its way on half of commonly used programs, not to mention their ownership of buch of sites that install plugins for "your convinience".

That omnipresece and nearly virus-like installing of their products is one of big reasons why i hate them (others being their selling of my data without my express conscent to each and every single batch therby ,violating in my eyes annyways, my privacy and or basic human right(s)).

Probably yes, but beter question: do they care?

They know. Check this

, the 'infringe of the GNU license' part.

They care? No way. That's why I'm started to move all communication options (snapshots, sms, email and push) away from the HC2/Fibaro and block all communication to Fibaro. I use Telegram for receiving messages and investigation an other way to receive my IP-cams snapshots.  Also disabled the remote access and switched to OpenVPN for that purpose.

Also I started searching for possibilities/products who do care a lot more about their users and are more transparent/trustful.

just wondering why you speak about GNU when talking about Google Analytics?

just wondering why you speak about GNU when talking about Google Analytics?

As you mentioned in your posting:

The problem is not GNU or whatever, but local law, he told me in poland it is a bit different, in germany e.g. one can not sell gears under such e.g. warranty condition, and there is more points where one can discuss or even stop sales, sue, etc. They know that and promised a solution soon, which is, from that lawyer point of view (short said) fair enough.

That's, IMHO, the same principle with Google Analytics. In Germany, as mentioned in earlier posts by users, it has to have an opt-out option by local law. This is also highly recommended from the Dutch and European Privacy Authorisations.

Secondly, it shows Fibaro awareness about this kind of legal issues. But when Fibaro promise to solve it soon then I'm getting goose bumps, looking back on their track record the last three years.

But correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: compare the privacy statement from

and

(a Dutch competitor) as an example.

Edited by Lambik

• Topic Author
  • Hello, well again, what is said and whats written in the privacy statement doesn't match..

Hello,

To make this topic clear and that there is not misunderstanding.

All the request to Google mentioned by @speedy are effects of users doings in Web UI. User generates requests sent to Google when using our Web UI. These requests includes data for statistics and the data is anonymous. 

The gathering of information is so much more extensive.

What we really agree to collect and send to Google according to the privacy statement:

(it might not be sent now but we have to agree to use the service so there is no choice)

" "

Information about your interactions with the Service, 

Technical data, which may include 

URL information, 

the types of devices you are using to access or connect to the Fibaro Service, 

device attributes, 

network connection type, 

network and device performance,

browser type, language, 

operating system, 

general localization data (eg. country, city, region), 

usage statistics (eg. time of usage, number of active users), 

interaction with Service statistics, service crash information, and Fibaro application version.

""

As nothing is specific you can basically collect everything from inside our network and all our connected devices even those not associated with the HC2.

Also from the privacy statement:

"Where a third party processes user data being personal information on our behalf"

What 3rd parties are Fibaro sharing our data with?

Every users agrees to this when accepting the Terms of Use. 

Oh, did we have a choice? Well, then i don't want to accept and still use the service.

Moreover, the gateway checks Internet connection by connecting to Google so these requests are also included in statistics.

Is it really to much to ask that we can specify our own server and how often the HC2 checks the connection?

Its not that hard at all and many before me has written the same thing.

Choice and freedom = Done with all of this debacle!

1. Option for Opt in for Google analytics. (Not opting in should not impact HC performance in any way)

2. Settings for everything that the HC2 does outside of our network.

If we don't opt in for a service then the HC2 should never connect to the internet, period.

Get local time from a server = yes / no

Check for new firmware = yes / no

Check internet connection status = yes / no Settings  (server adress:    Check every X second:)

Etc, etc, etc you all get the picture...

Easy to understand settings and clear indication of what they do for every function.

All of this should really be a non issue, its really sad that its not i think.

Hello, well again, what is said and whats written in the privacy statement doesn't match..

The gathering of information is so much more extensive.

What we really agree to collect and send to Google according to the privacy statement:

(it might not be sent now but we have to agree to use the service so there is no choice)

" "

Information about your interactions with the Service, 

Technical data, which may include 

URL information, 

the types of devices you are using to access or connect to the Fibaro Service, 

device attributes, 

network connection type, 

network and device performance,

browser type, language, 

operating system, 

general localization data (eg. country, city, region), 

usage statistics (eg. time of usage, number of active users), 

interaction with Service statistics, service crash information, and Fibaro application version.

""

As nothing is specific you can basically collect everything from inside our network and all our connected devices even those not associated with the HC2.

Also from the privacy statement:

"Where a third party processes user data being personal information on our behalf"

What 3rd parties are Fibaro sharing our data with?

Oh, did we have a choice? Well, then i don't want to accept and still use the service.

Is it really to much to ask that we can specify our own server and how often the HC2 checks the connection?

Its not that hard at all and many before me has written the same thing.

Choice and freedom = Done with all of this debacle!

1. Option for Opt in for Google analytics. (Not opting in should not impact HC performance in any way)

2. Settings for everything that the HC2 does outside of our network.

If we don't opt in for a service then the HC2 should never connect to the internet, period.

Get local time from a server = yes / no

Check for new firmware = yes / no

Check internet connection status = yes / no Settings  (server adress:    Check every X second:)

Etc, etc, etc you all get the picture...

Easy to understand settings and clear indication of what they do for every function.

All of this should really be a non issue, its really sad that its not i think.

I love the attitude,

alas in today's clima where we are bullied by corporations (such as google and whoever owns failbook) into acepting their rather dirty offten bordering on or completly illegall "privacy" statements and or terms of use.

you either accept or not use the service (usually there is a phrase such as "using the service as it is provided" (trying to make adblock illegall) or something to the extent. in this case that phrase would include all of fibaro products and their third party aprtners (google).

We have sadly premited internet to slip from wonderfull tool of connecting people and sharing ideas into hellhole ran by corporations with zero ragard for people they truple over.

I hope Fibaro will react on what is bothering a lot of users. At start I was thinking I was the only one and would be classified as wearing a 'tinfoil hat'.

Thank you guys for reacting. It's highly appreciated!! Hope it helps...

just block the fibaro in you firewall on the router

Oh? that simple? I think you're completly missing the point...

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_eek.gif" alt=":shock:" />

Did you block all devices where Fibaro apps are installed also?

So you don't use push, email, or any code which needs internet access? You don't even update you're HC2 Firmware and devices?

i do update the fibaro manual. And indeed i don't use push or e-mail. Even i can't use my own mail account, for the most is it running fine without internet access. sure i want to use e-mail, but i want to use my own and without letting a polish company uninvited in my home. 

I use a VPN to access my HC from the internet. I also don not use Fibaro Apps.

I use Telegram to get my messages/logs (disabled email and push) so I need internet access from HC2 to know what's happening in my house.

So I took reasonable precautions to secure my network and devices. The only thing I can't control is the things Fibaro sends to his servers or third parties. A way to block Google Analytics is not easy to do, well, I don't have a solid solution for that.

The point I want to make, and others, is that the HC2 must have user-options to disable services we don't want to use and can invade our privacy or security. Make options available to use our own, like custom SMTP settings. It's all about put the user in charge of making the choices he/she feels comfortable with.

The HC2 must be save by default! They made a

, they don't keep, when I bought the HC2 and decided to use it. I spend a lot of time, money and effort to get my house automated (about 3 years). And now I have to spend a lot of time in taking out functions, I use, to prevent data being send to Fibaro/Google without notifying users decently. Just a addition in a disclaimer is not a decent way to inform you have added a service which have big impact on your present configuration if you want to block it.

That pissed me off! Big time!! And I'm not the only one.

If I had known this in advance I definitely not had chosen the HC2.

So, with all do respect, it's not so simple as you think it is. A lot of things I have to rewrite to keep it functional. Just blocking all internet access is not an desirable option (to me), but I'm forced to do that, breaking down a lot a features I rely on, and forced me spending a lot of time and effort to rebuild it.

BTW, how do you manually update he HC2 and devices?

I have a business router, a cisco rv320. With this i can simply deny access to the internet from a device within my network. i blockt after buying and finding out, the internet access almost immediately, so i am used to work without the access. Also I still expanding at the moment and started this about half a year ago. (but I have been 4 years working on security cameras system).

How i update it, i give the hc2 access to the internet and within a couple of minutes i can update the hc2 (with a lot of errors, by the way). 

Fibaro is a lying manufacturer!

Couldn't agree more, the choice should be ours. I am already using home grown scripts for emails/notifications, but it isn't as easy as it should be.

How i update it, i give the hc2 access to the internet and within a couple of minutes i can update the hc2 (with a lot of errors, by the way).

Tried this, but, it doesn't appear to work for me. Managed an update when new, but not since, so still on 4.054.

Does anyone happen to know the URL that is used by the HC2 to determine if an update is available? Just in case my firewall is blocking it for other reasons!