Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Rain Sensor For Fibaro HC2

Hallamnet

Question

Afternoon all. 

Awesome weather for this question in the UK at the moment but , Does anyone know of a rain sensor that i could build/attach to my Fibaro HC2.

I have a spare universal sensor that I could use but any help on this would be good. 

I have had a look over the forums and could not find anything for this. 

I am happy to build one if needed using components from E-Bay, Amazon or anywhere else that sells them. 

6 answers to this question

Hi Hallamnet,

maybe something like this:

Please login or register to see this link.

Sorry it's in German, but you'll find an English "manual" on the right side for download

Cheers

Alfons

You can even use those very cheap rain sensors from china or Arduino sensors. If you dont need measure it, you just want to know if it rains or not, that is really simple.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for the reply guys. 

Decided to carry out a little electronics project and using a few components including a Fibaro universal sensor, heat plate and elemented circuit board, I managed to make a working, self heating rain sensor that so far has been 100% reliable. when the top elements are wet or detect rain, a small heat plate powers up (12v) and starts to dry the elements along with a signal sent to the HC2 or HCL to advise of the rain condition.

When the rain stops, depending how saturated the plate is, it takes 6 to19 mins to dry the top plate and the universal sensor sends a signal to the HC2/L to advise of the change and the heat plate turns off. 

Brilliant little system and seems to be 100% reliable. Lets see how it fairs up over the coming months. 

If all seems to be as reliable as I say, I might even start selling it as a rep built kit, all that is needed is just include and configure. 

If anyone is interested in this, please let me know and i will see what i can do. 

Hi Hallamnet,

I'd be most interested in a detailed description (components, cabling/connections), as my knowledge about electronics is rather limited

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_smile.gif" alt=":-)" /> Thanks!

Cheers

Alfons