Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer 2 installation

ramymounir

Question

Hi

I would like to install the Fibaro Wave dimmer 2

I dont trust that the electrician will do the right wiring so i would like that you to please help me make sure the connection is right.

the wall switch i have now is a Zigbee wall switch that i would like to replace with a touch wall switch and a fibaro dimmer2

the electric wires coming from the wall and connected to the zigbee switch right now are as follows

Red wire connected to Load

White wire connected to Neutral

Black wire connected to Line

The new wall switch i would like to install looks like so in the second photo

how should i wife the 3 wires shown i picture one as i mentioned above should be connected too the wall switch and the dimmer?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by ramymounir

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, ramymounir said:

did i post in a wrong section or is this fibaro community that dead!?

Hi @ramymounir and welcome to Fibaro forum!

This forum is much alive as it can be, but you have to wait for somebody to visit this forum that can give you help. Forum is not official support and nobody here is dedicated to help. It is all on volunteer basis and you will get help if there is any user that can give it to you since have experience with devices you mentioned in your post.

Thank you for your patience!

2 hours ago, ramymounir said:

I don't own and have never seen that switch. But... if you can post a link to a technical document of that switch, I might be able to give some advice.

• Inquirer
  • 4 hours ago, petergebruers said:

I don't own and have never seen that switch. But... if you can post a link to a technical document of that switch, I might be able to give some advice.

thanks man for your reply 

this is the document that came in the box.

5 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi @ramymounir and welcome to Fibaro forum!

This forum is much alive as it can be, but you have to wait for somebody to visit this forum that can give you help. Forum is not official support and nobody here is dedicated to help. It is all on volunteer basis and you will get help if there is any user that can give it to you since have experience with devices you mentioned in your post.

Thank you for your patience!

Do you work with Fibaro, or you are just defensive and you dont work with fibaro, and you cant help me? I mean are you just wasting  your time for no reason?

14 minutes ago, ramymounir said:

Do you work with Fibaro, or you are just defensive and you dont work with fibaro, and you cant help me? I mean are you just wasting  your time for no reason?

Hi @ramymounir,

It really seems that I was wasting my time for no reason trying to find more info about that wall switch. Sorry.

30 minutes ago, ramymounir said:

thanks man for your reply 

this is the document that came in the box.

(...)

@ramymounir I can vouch for Mr @Sankotronic - he is a well respected member of this forum. I bet he googled the part number, visible in your first post, just like me, and didn't find anything helpful.

The manual with the product doesn't tell me a lot. There aren't any technical details.

I think it will have to go like this: just let the electrician try it. The dimmer input is well protected. If the switch doesn't work with the dimmer, it won't cause any damage to the dimmer.

Here's my best guess: it's NOT going to work... because the Dimmer expect switches that are 100% open or 100% closed. Because these switches have some electronics in them, they need a power supply. Your photograph doesn't seem to indicate it *has* power supply, unless I'm misinterpreting something... So these switches probably "steal" some electricity via the load. What will happen - if I am right - is this: the dimmer will act as if these switch is permanently closed. If that's the case, you need an extra relay between this switch and the input of the FGD-212 Dimmer.

You have the manual of Fibaro dimmer ready for your electrician? It has the schematics he needs...

• Inquirer
  • 18 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

@ramymounir I can vouch for Mr @Sankotronic - he is a well respected member of this forum. I bet he googled the part number, visible in your first post, just like me, and didn't find anything helpful.

The manual with the product doesn't tell me a lot. There aren't any technical details.

I think it will have to go like this: just let the electrician try it. The dimmer input is well protected. If the switch doesn't work with the dimmer, it won't cause any damage to the dimmer.

Here's my best guess: it's NOT going to work... because the Dimmer expect switches that are 100% open or 100% closed. Because these switches have some electronics in them, they need a power supply. Your photograph doesn't seem to indicate it *has* power supply, unless I'm misinterpreting something... So these switches probably "steal" some electricity via the load. What will happen - if I am right - is this: the dimmer will act as if these switch is permanently closed. If that's the case, you need an extra relay between this switch and the input of the FGD-212 Dimmer.

You have the manual of Fibaro dimmer ready for your electrician? It has the schematics he needs...

Thanks man for your reply,

the electrician came while i wasn't in the house and he couldn't make it work. i left him the manual which is in English and he couldn't read it, he just had a look at the photos.

what happened is the light was so weak,  and he said it is not going to work with this switch.

8 hours ago, ramymounir said:

I looked at your post but wasnt sure enough to comment. Does the new switch you are trying to fit have LED indicators on it? You cant see with that photo.

It looks similar to another post where the dimmer wouldnt work because of the load of the LED indicators on the sx to s1 push button connection.

If you posted some more info I can have a look, Im just guessing at this stage.

• Inquirer
  • 12 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

I looked at your post but wasnt sure enough to comment. Does the new switch you are trying to fit have LED indicators on it? You cant see with that photo.

It looks similar to another post where the dimmer wouldnt work because of the load of the LED indicators on the sx to s1 push button connection.

If you posted some more info I can have a look, Im just guessing at this stage.

Thanks Jamie for your reply

yes the new switch is touch with led indicators to tell you if the light is on or off.. 

Just now, ramymounir said:

Thanks Jamie for your reply

yes the new switch is touch with led indicators to tell you if the light is on or off.. 

Now looking back through posts I think @petergebruers nailed it

I think I found it :-)

Model: SK-A801T
    Brand: SANKOU
    Origin: Made In China
    Category:

Please login or register to see this link.

Label:

Product Description

Brand Name:                                  SANKOU

Rated Voltage:                               AC220V/110V       

Rated Power:                                 200W/600W                              

Packaging Details:                          Carton box

Self Consuming Power:                   Less than 0.1mA                 

Operating Environment:                 -20~70 Centigrade; less than 95% RH

Type:                                           Wall light dimmer touch switch

Lamps for Switch:                          All kinds of lamps, but need to over 5W

Mechanical Life:                             100,000 ON/OFF Times of operation

Place of Origin:                              Zhejiang, China (Mainland)

Here is a PDF with wiring diagram

Just wasting my time :-D

@Bodyart thanks! @ramymounir It confirms my suspicion: this type of switch is not compatible with any of the Fibaro Dimmers or Switches, for the reasons I stated in post #7. This kind of switch is never "fully open" it will work with incandescent lamps, and certain LED or CFL bulbs, but not all. Hence the remark "need to over 5W" on the data sheet. With some LED or CFL lamps, the lights will glow or start flashing. This is a clear indication that the device is incompatible with Fibaro Modules. I don't know if the switch is compatible with modules of other brands, like Aeon, but I doubt it, since the input requirements of all modules are more or less the same. I'm sorry I can't help you with an alternative touch switch either... It's just not something I have in my collection of devices and data sheets...

Edited by petergebruers

2 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I'm sorry I can't help you with an alternative touch switch either... It's just not something I have in my collection of devices and data sheets...

Peter,

I don't think that I need help with that :-) It was @ramymounir asking for help.

Regards,

Peter

4 minutes ago, Bodyart said:

Peter,

I don't think that I need help with that :-) It was @ramymounir asking for help.

Regards,

Peter

I forgot to put his name Between "Thanks" and "It confirms". Thank you for pointing that out. I've edited my post.

Edited by petergebruers