Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro heat controller for floor heating?

3JL

Question

Hi all, does anyone know whether a Fibaro heat controller can be used in floor heating to replace a valve like this one? 

Please login or register to see this link.

Thanks.

15 answers to this question

I advise to use Heatit Z-Water in your case. IT has 10 relays with 24V or 230V output option. And also 4 inputs for temp sensor. Very nice product.

no, due to external sensor requirements and "temperature adjustment range 20÷70 °C" of the R462L. 

2 hours ago, tinman said:

no, due to external sensor requirements and "temperature adjustment range 20÷70 °C" of the R462L. 

Can't you buy the new Fibaro Thermostat with an external sensor?

• Inquirer
  • Ok, thanks!

I know this is not the right position for this question, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

A thermostate with external sensor does not work (I assume) because my central heating system does not offer controlling different zones. Hence, I need to turn on/of the central heating unit and control  zones individually (again, I assume). I am not sure what is the best solution:

- turning the pump on/off with a relay/wall plug

- (z-wave) controller valves

does anyone have a clue?

I have attached an image of this is the floor heating system.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Guest spazpeker

You want a underfloor heating wiring centre and for each zone a Fibaro relay (double relay does 2 zones) into the wiring centre

check Heait products, i think they have solution for you 

• Like 1

Hi @3JL,

I belive you need some Thermostat that has relay out (such as Heatit, that @tinman) suggest or some that has association possibility (Heatit again) and associate it with some Switch.

Or you can create some sort of "virtual thermostat" by linked device, where you need some temperature sensor (e.g. Fibaro motion sensor) and some relay (Fibaro Double switch 2).

You need NO valve drive, if you do not have any. Such as this one (EN document do not worry): 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Off Topic: Heatit with firmware version 1.92 has possibility to read if its relay is on or off. Could be usable for scenes :D.

• Inquirer
  • Hi @jakub.jezek and @Lauri, thank you very much for your input. Indeed @jakub.jezek, the virtual thermostat turning the pump on and off is roughly what I am aiming for. When I have the devices (the Fibaro heat controllers for the other rooms - pretty crucial for the overall project) have still not arrived :s ! @Lauri, I am afraid Heatit Z-water is a bit too overcomplicated for now, but thanks nevertheless.

J

@3jl

hi, I have a similar floor heating block as you. I use a wall switch to run the pomp for the floor heating, triggered from an external thermostat (being Netatmo in my case).

As I see lots of problems with the Fibaro heating panel, I use a LUA scene to switch pomp on/off, based on certain temperature settings for certain periods during the day 

If you want to control temperature for all rooms at once, you can control the pump with a wall switch or relay switch with a single temperature sensor.
    If you want to control the rooms separately, you can use valves per room/group with relay switches and a temperature sensor (e.g. Fibaro Motion) per room.

Be aware that the pump needs to run now and then, to make sure it does not get stuck (e.g. in summer).

3JL, 

I use a similar but smaller 4-tube setup with city-heating, taking care of my entire ground floor.

Normally, you would use only one valve to regulate heating up the entire circuit (allowing heated water into the circuit). I use a Secure room thermostat for that (SEC_SRT321) 

This is connected to a Secure boiler switch (SEC_SSR303). This controls the electronic valve and uses the old on-off wiring like any thermostat switch. I do use the fibaro heating panel and for me it works fine.

The thermostat switch is associated with a power switch that switches on my floor circulation pump when the thermostat switches on.

To prevent issues with a stuck pump during summer, I set up a scene that runs the pump every night for half an hour everyday.

That said: I don't change the floor heating temperature a lot, since it takes a lot of time to actually change the room temperature and I find little savings in it.

Most heating experts would tell you not to change the floor temperature at all and leave it at a comfortable 21 degrees celsius.

I drop the temperature only 2 degrees at night. Keep your water temperature low (30 degrees celsius max) to prevent your heating from cracking your tiles or wood floor.

Regards!

Edited by evanbeem

Hello all, we have a similar case, we need relay control for valves that pass water to radiators.

Is it possible to control this only using Fibaro temperature sensors ( D/W sensor with temperature probe connected ) and Fibaro relay modules ?

Are there any LUA programming examples for this ?

I understand that I can create a scene(s) to i.e. turn ON heating at a set temperature, and turn it OFF at another set temperature.

But can I somehow add a user controlled ON/OFF variable for certain rooms ?

And is there an easy way for the user to change the set temperatures ?

Edited by RobertWolf

Hi RobertWolf

Yes, it is possible to control a valve with a temperature sensor. I control the valve of my floor heating system with a temperature measurement done by a Netatmo weatherstation linked to my HC2, but in principle, this could be any temperature sensor.

This is the LUA code I have made for this, this runs as a permanent scene.  

298 is the ID of the temperature sensor, note this needs to be set in the fourth line as well, being the triggering device. 94 is the ID of the Fibaro Switch.

I do not know whether it is possible to have a simple interface that an arbitrary user can set a temperature, but would be interested myself for this. At present, when I need to change the temperature settings, I have to edit the code below. 

Cheers,

Wim

--[[
    %% autostart
    %% properties
    298 value
    %% events
    %% globals
    --]]

-- day-time      20.5 degrees
    -- 15:00 - 20:00  21.5 degrees 
    -- 21:00 -  6:00  18.5 degrees
    -- note: <6 means until 5:59 uur 

local sourceTrigger = fibaro:getSourceTrigger();

function tempSet()
       local currentDate = os.date("*t")
       local Temp           = 20.5
       local TempSet     = Temp

if ( currentDate.hour >= 15 and currentDate.hour < 21 )
       then
          TempSet = Temp + 1.0
       end
       if ( currentDate.hour >= 21 or currentDate.hour < 6 ) 
       then
          TempSet = Temp - 2.0
        -- was 2.0
       end

if ( tonumber(fibaro:getValue(298, "value")) <= TempSet  )
       then
          fibaro:call(94, "turnOn")
       end
       if ( tonumber(fibaro:getValue(298, "value")) > TempSet )
       then
          fibaro:call(94, "turnOff")
       end
    end

function tempFunc()
       tempSet()
       setTimeout(tempFunc, 600*1000)
    end

if ( sourceTrigger["type"] == "autostart" ) then
       tempFunc()
    else
       tempSet()
    end

Forgot to mention, this script runs automatically every 600 seconds (10 minutes). If you want a quicker respons, change the setTimeout value.

hi @RobertWolf,

I'm using like others the Heatit Z-water. It is attached to 10 electric valves.

I use differnt kinds of temperature sensors like fibaro motion sensor, qubino z-weather hygro sensor, sensative strip comfort.

Thats all you need. In the Linked devices you link together a temperature sensor with one of the 10 Z-water relays.

They will act and be displaye like a thermostat on the apps (not on the browser gui, only fibaro knows why not).

You can linke the same temperature senor to multiple relays. E.g if you have a big room with multiple water-zones.

After this you set up the heating panel, there are quite simple instructions available in the internet.

When done you set up your desired temperaturses in the heating panel. Time tables and so on.

You can override the set temperature in the app.

No LUA Coding needed.

some images of linked device + heating panel

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

BR - kro

Edited by kroeatschge

Hello all and thank you for your feedback, it is nice to see that this is an active community :)

In the meantime we have found the Linked devices section, linked a temp. sensor with a relay switch, added them to a room, and created a heating panel for that room.

So far it seems to work fine.

I can see that now I have that room under Climate in the app, in there I can override the Heat Panel settings by entering another temperature setpoint and duration.

Doing that turns on the manual mode, and I can see that in the web interface. Just after entering in the app it is shown like this :

image.png.ea2448f89eb83c0abe2e973d3c18a655.png

But when I leave that screen and return to it, I can no longer see that setting, it is as before :

image.png.ed23bf0eb1077837b6bdaaba3565606c.png

This is confusing, as it seems that manual mode is not active, while in the web interface it is shown as active :

image.png.9a90b291fdae5595d7284f45fa6a057b.png

All in all this is ok for our needs.