Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Power cycling the switch

Elkin

Question

I'm aiming to wire in the Single Switch for a kitchen extractor fan on a lighting circuit that is switched physically at the wall. This means it would be power cycled several times a day,. So my question is... would that stress the unit to be power cycled so much?

Background to the use case is that it is helpful to have the unit switched off with the rest of the lights manually, without having to switch it off separately, and the fan will not be needed if the lights are not on. Also, there is no unswitched power supply very nearby, so it would be a bit more work to make this operate as intended.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, Elkin said:

I'm aiming to wire in the Single Switch for a kitchen extractor fan on a lighting circuit that is switched physically at the wall. This means it would be power cycled several times a day,

I would not do that...

Mains powered devices act as "repeaters" on your network. If a another device selects this device as a repeater, it will cause delays.

I'm sure the internal power supply was not designed to handle frequent power cycling, but that does not mean it cannot handle that. No idea, once in a while a user asks a similar question, but I have never heard what they did and how reliable it is.

Also, your controller will mark your mains powered device as "dead" if it has no power and you send a command to it, because sending data to a dead device causes a lot of traffic. You can work around that.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for the reply. My question is really in the wrong section, as I have a HomeKit unit, but there doesn't seem to be a Homekit forum for this switch. I'm pretty sure HomeKit (sadly) does not repeat signals, although I hear Bluetooth mesh is on the cards.

So it's really just about the power cycling question, which is common to both. I guess I thought it was worth asking, even if it is a bit of an edge use case.

6 minutes ago, Elkin said:

So it's really just about the power cycling question, which is common to both.

I do not know how homekit handles "mains" devices that do not respond when they have no power...

The power supply in those modules is reliable, when connected to mains... Almost no reports of damaged modules on this forum! But how many use it like you intend to use it?

Let's see if another user has tried this for you!

EDIT: I use the same chip for my hobby projects and I did not destroy on (yet) :-)

Edited by petergebruers