Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wall Plug + TP-Link Powerline results in Lower Bandwidth

Vladimir Stankov

Question

Hi guys,

so here is my setup and the strange behavior I'm observing. I'll appreciate if anyone have explanation or ideas why this is happening.

Setup:

WAN Router <  Powerline Adapter 1 in a normal wall plug > Powerline Adapter 2 in a Fibaro wall plug > Laptop connected to Powerline

Everything works but what I noticed is that the Internet bandwidth on the far end side is lower (I have 50Mbps internet connectivity and while doing speed test I was getting 16Mbps). After a little troubleshooting I noticed that if I remove the FBWP and connect the powerline adapter directly to the electrical network the bandwidth doesn't drop - it's 50Mbps. Next steps:

- moved the FBWP and Powerline close to the HCL: with and without FBWP I get 50Mbps bandwidth

- moved the setup in room a little bit farther: with FBWP I got 30Mbps bandwidth, w/o - 50Mbps

- moved to the original location which is the farthest point (meaning weakest Z-wave signal to the HCL): with FBWP - 16Mbps, w/o - 50Mbps

So basically with moving the plug farther than HCL I get lower bandwidth throughput through the powerline (electrical network), which I can't explain why is happening. Z-wave should be used only for communication between FBWP and HCL, not for any data transported. The problem is not in the electrical network since without FBWP everything is working fine. 

Any ideas?

---

HCL v. 4.503 beta

FBWP v3.2

TP-Link AV600 2-port

3 answers to this question

@Vladimir Stankov, no answers sorry.
But see below link. I might be some kind of interference between Fibaro (z-wave) and the adaptor.
Once connected to another circuit, the problem was solved.

• Inquirer
  • 27 minutes ago, wpeeters said:

@Vladimir Stankov, no answers sorry.
    But see below link. I might be some kind of interference between Fibaro (z-wave) and the adaptor.
    Once connected to another circuit, the problem was solved.

Hi,

I saw the thread before posting but it's a little bit different problem than mine. I tested all wall plugs available and the problem appears only when the FBWP is far away from the controller, when it's close the problem does not occur. I have an idea for couple more tests to do and see what will be the behaviour then but what I'm experiencing now does not sounds like normal operation to me.

Thanks,

Vladimir

• Inquirer
  • I did couple of more tests but the observation is the same. Apparently there is some problem when powerline adapter has to send data through the FBWP and the plug is far away from the controller but I don't have explanation for that.

Here are some screenshots to illustrate:

1. Laptop connected via LAN cable to powerline adapter, directly connect to socket (normal behavior):

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_07/laptop-to-EthPowerline.PNG.86b3c2fd37a6502ca8b2dce475a2a63c.PNG" alt="laptop-to-EthPowerline.PNG.86b3c2fd37a6502ca8b2dce475a2a63c.PNG" />

2. Laptop connected via LAN cable to powerline adapter, connected to FBWP (problematic behavior):

laptop-to-EthPowerline-to-FBWP.PNG.0ed7b7822f0404613bc4c1419a577081.PNG

Strangely enough if I remove the FBWP from the HCL, the powerline adapter doesn't work. 

If I have the chance I'll test with other powerline adapter or other smart plug but currently I don't have possibility.