Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Home Center 2 Range Extender

Danny2173

Question

First of all apologies if this has been already asked but I did do some searching but was unable to locate.

I am installing a Fibaro Home Center 2 into a friends house however his house is bigger than the Fibaro's range can a extender be purchased to capture all the devices and if so can any recommend which extender to use.

Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

Z-wave devices form a mesh network. There are extenders on the market but the best extenders are the powered z-wave devices themselves. Z-wave supports up to 4 hops and conservative you can get some 200 meters out of the 4 hops.

Also it helps to have the HC2 somewhere in the middle of the house.

Hope this helps.

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by danone1973
  • Like 1

Hi @Danny2173,

what @danone1973 wrote is absolutly true and it’s one of the zwave protocol basis(mesh network) but depending on the house configuration what also could be done, is adding a slave machine, hcl works perfect for this use case (cheaper then an hc2 and doing the job very well ) In my house i’ve got 1 hc2 as the master and 2 hcl as slaves. Even with a large number of power devices (i’v got more then 100 powerd) the distance or the  construction material might not help on having a reliable communication or no communication at all (eg depencies) and there, a little slave box is doing the difference.

there are fews topics in the forum if you want to have a look.

• Like 1

Please login or register to see this link.

has improved the range for me.... I had a specific situation with weak signal on the side of the house where there were no other devices to form a mesh....