Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Live] Find My Friends - Help wanted

ianakapilotlight

Question

Hello,

I have been using Find My Friends for the iPhone to detect whether my wife or I were at home.  When the iPhone determines that it has left or arrived at a location (home) it sends an email to a known email address.

My home server checks this email address and when it sees an email with the subject line stating I have left home, it sets a global variable to Away, and on return, it sets it to Home.  Quite simple.

It has been running for over twelve months and it recently occurred to me that others could use this.  However, I realise not everyone has the right type of computer or has one available or doesn't want to have one constantly running.  So I took it upon myself to build one 'in the cloud'.

So, I am in the process of creating this service so that people can use it to check their own email account, and when specific email subject lines appear in their email account, the Home Center can react accordingly, and all by using REST based calls and a LUA scene. This also means that this same service could be used for other purposes such as reacting to IFTTT notifications, and probably more.

I titled this as 'Help wanted', because I am looking to open this up to a few beta testers to help me test the service out and maybe one day turn it into a product, who knows?

So, if your willing to give me a hand, then could you send me an email to [email protected] requesting a beta test and say you saw it on this forum.

Thanking you

Ian

Edited by ianakapilotlight
Help no longer required, thanks to those users who have beta tested it
  • Like 2

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet