Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Single switch 2 B button is not working

Jibran

Question

Hello,

I have been using relays in my office for a year now . All are single switch 2 version 3.2v. Recently, they stopped working through mobile or web interface.  

They are only working with physical wall switches but stop working wirelessly. I tried to soft reconfigure them but all in vain. They all failed to reconfigure. 

Then I tried to delete the device from the system ( Home center 2 ) but its not deleting . Then i opened the wall panel to look at the module and use B-button to delete ( exclusion) but B-button stops working. 

For a test , I pressed the B-button to enter into its menu ( Color indications ) , But no color appears. There is no yellow , red or green colour appearing by pressing the B-button ( according to the manual ). So i am unable to delete the module, hard reset or soft reset . 

I have tested all 8 relays ( single switch - 2 ) . All are giving same problem . They all failed to communicate with controller  ( Communication failed ). 

Here are the pictures for the reference.  The b-button pictures depicts that b-button is pressed for 2secs then 3secs upto 6 secs. No menu or indication light appeared.

Please tell me what steps do i take to work them again properly.

Thankyou

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

8 answers to this question

Hi @Jibran

I may not have solution for your issue but I started to experience something similar, so not to start a new thread I will post my question here.

My Fibaro Single switch 2 stopped sending any signal further after 3 years of working. I use it for controlling one of my lights. It was installed by an electrician 3 years ago so I only checked wires and if it´s live. The result - yes it is. But the light won´t switch on or off anymore..

Unfortunately there is no red or other light next to the B button, I deleted the switch from system because it could not be unlearned and ofc not added again. 

It seems the switch is gone for good but I still wanted to ask if there might be someone with similar issue with a solution?

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

• Inquirer
  • In my case, several Modules ( relays ) are behaving like this. No B-button working, no deletion no addition. So till now, didnt get any solution for this. 

Hi @Jibran,

have you moved in solving this issue?

I replaced the unfunctional single switch 2 with a new one but another one stopped working.

Looks like the lifetime of fibaro products is quite short..

• Inquirer
  • Maybe . But what i did was that , i connected a DpDt relay between a Fibaro relay and the load. After that, no such issue is there. 

I have 3 double switch 2 and all of them cant reset.

When I press b-button it glows white and nothing more happens.

On 9/30/2019 at 12:14 PM, Jibran said:

Maybe . But what i did was that , i connected a DpDt relay between a Fibaro relay and the load. After that, no such issue is there. 

I totally don´t understand how that could help since I am no electrician. Was there some kind of overload then? The single switch is OK?

• Inquirer
  • Basically, if you connect the leds with the relay , leds take inrush current, due to which they melt or jam the contacts of the relay or most of the time , they damage the module.

So to prevent it, we use another relay between the load and fibaro relay

Ive got a similar problem. I just replaced my controller with a Fibaro HC without excluding the devices. When i tried to reset my switches i found out that im getting a white light after pressing B-button, instead of colour menu. 

Please dont mind my rant, but this is super frustrating. For the past year i've been fitting Zwave devices (majority are Fibaro devices) all over my house. Literally spend thousands of pounds on that (not only devices, which arent cheap, but also electricians labour, scaffolding company every time something happens to my outside siren, etc). All together ive got more than 50 nodes installed. Half of the devices ive ever bought were dead on arrival and needed replacement. Many of others were working but in bad way, Fibaro smoke alarms randomly setting themselves off, other company motion sensors detecting motion every couple of seconds, wall switches which randomly start ticking the light on and off (and it was not an odd association triggering that).

Im pretty sure that i needed to order way over 100, maybe 150 devices to get 50 working in my house and now im discovering that even those which were apparently working, are not working at all. 

I have chosen the most expensive home automation protocol. Ive been told its stable and will last for years. Im paying a HUGE premium on it (just compare price of Zwave devices with  similar BT or Zigbee devices) and after investing a year of time and tons of money im discovering that Zwave devices build quality and Zwave companies quality control is so bad, that its unparalleled literally in any other business. 

On 11/1/2019 at 7:57 AM, Jibran said:

Basically, if you connect the leds with the relay , leds take inrush current, due to which they melt or jam the contacts of the relay or most of the time , they damage the module.

So to prevent it, we use another relay between the load and fibaro relay

This has nothing to do with the load. Youre right, the contacts in the relay (actual relay module, not the relay device) may get jammed or melt because of the overcurrent. But first of all, when this would happen, the device would work perfectly fine from control side of things, but would not switch the load on and off. The issue you described and i am having is exactly oposite. The load can be switched using the button, but controls dont work. 

Also, Fibaro switches are rated for 10A of constant load. If that's true, they should easily survive momentary surges of 20, 30 or maybe even more amps. There's simply no chance that the 0.1A load may cause damage to the contacts in just few years of normal use - and 0.1A is not one, not two but around 5 of LED bulbs.