Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

False alarms from a thermostat

knuth

Question

This comment could also have been placed in the "Third party devices" forum, as it relates to alarms from a HeatIt Z-TRM2 thermostat for floor heating. But the supplier insists that the problem is with the Fibaro HC2, making this the right forum.

I have 13 of these thermostats. Occasionally and randomly, I receive a message by e-mail from the HC2:

"<Device id> Important! <Device ID> detected high temperature. It may mean potential fire". 

There is no actual high temperature. What happens, the supplier tells me, is that a single bit (from where?) makes the HC2 think the temperature is 255 C, if only for a split second. This fake measurement is even reported from slave units that have no sensor attached (e.g. a room sensor input not used). Has anyone experienced similar behavior from other devices? False alarms are really annoying!

What I plan to do is

a) to disable all slave units that are not used, like the room sensors where I use only a floor sensor. I know how to do that - does anyone see a reason not do disable in this case? These units are already hidden.

b) to look for ways to disable the entire "high temperature" alarm feature for these units (I have smoke sensors to do that job). How do I disable the alarm feature?

c) wait for confirmation from HeatIt/ThermoFloor that their reports to Fibaro have led to a solution, at either end

9 answers to this question

Yes... The same with Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor.

Once it's high temperature alarm, other time low temperature... but different values (the time scale makes it look like it's lower than it really is, so one picture with 3 picks together, and second with only one peak zoomed)

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

i have been getting these too, about 3-5 times a day both fire and freeze this is for an aeotec motion sensor. @T.Konopka please submit a bug report and fix immediately. I am running the latest Beta. 

• Inquirer
  • My immediate solution is to untick the box Send notification of potential fire (and likewise for freeze) in the Advanced configuration for both my temperature end points in each thermostat . These units are not intended to monitor fire or freeze anyway. I am concerned, however, that the problem will reappear for units that should have this function, e.g the Aeotec Multisensor 6. Your experience, @amatt , indicates that I may run into problems. 

Your call for a bug report has my support. 

my default "solution":

- if possible, add affected devices secure 

or

- uncheck "send notification of potential xxx"
    - change (in configuration->general) "Above this temperature a notification of a potential fire will be sent:" to e.g. 500
    - change (in configuration->general) "Below this temperature a notification of a potential freeze will be sent.:" to e.g. -500

optional -> - create scene (loop every 1-xx min.) for smoke / co sensors only to check temp rise and notify. Everything else i don't care.

What @tinman said, but it might also be worth running this scene and lower your number of events. This can reduce the number of false reports.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for constructive input, @tinman and @petergebruers . These are useful workarounds and diagnostic tools. I have chosen @tinman's option two, disabling notification from these specific thermostats. Your options 3 and 4 in effect disables the entire fire/freeze warning for the whole system, which is something I will do only if the problem persists with all temperature measuring devices. 

The problems remains a bug, though. For any alarm notification, the obvious algorithm for the HC2 would be to check two consecutive measurements before a notification is sent. That would eliminate alarms based on one spurious value. I don't know the inner workings of z-wave communication, but I assume that the first measurement with T>T(limit) could trigger a request from the HC2 for a second value from the device, if waiting for the next unprompted report takes too long. Or preferably, the root cause of spurious values appearing in the first place could be found and corrected. I am sure that correcting this nuisance is somewhere on Fibaro's long to-do list...

On 3/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, knuth said:

Thanks for constructive input, @tinman and @petergebruers . These are useful workarounds and diagnostic tools. I have chosen @tinman's option two, disabling notification from these specific thermostats. Your options 3 and 4 in effect disables the entire fire/freeze warning for the whole system, which is something I will do only if the problem persists with all temperature measuring devices. 

The problems remains a bug, though. For any alarm notification, the obvious algorithm for the HC2 would be to check two consecutive measurements before a notification is sent. That would eliminate alarms based on one spurious value. I don't know the inner workings of z-wave communication, but I assume that the first measurement with T>T(limit) could trigger a request from the HC2 for a second value from the device, if waiting for the next unprompted report takes too long. Or preferably, the root cause of spurious values appearing in the first place could be found and corrected. I am sure that correcting this nuisance is somewhere on Fibaro's long to-do list...

Have you find any solution?I have the same problem geting this piks for high and low temperatures. How can we  lower the  number of events?

• Inquirer
  • @maximosm :As I stated in my previous post:

On 3/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, knuth said:

I have chosen @tinman's option two, disabling notification from these specific thermostats.

So far, that has solved my problem. There has be no further false alarm from any other temperature measurement device. We all agree that spurious alarms like this is a nuisance and should be filtered out by the system. But I have put the issue to rest  - for now.

Hi, in my case the low temperature alarm warning is also triggering the heating system un-necessarly, so I have done a scene (with a great help from this forum) that stops the heating if temperature is zero in one of the 3 sensors:

Please login or register to see this code.

Hope it helps!
    R