Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 - Tangra

iTibor

Question

Hi

I have a special situation :

I would like to include  and command in HC2 an Energy saving ventilation unit Tangra - EVB-06-HiE  

Please login or register to see this link.

, now I have a Fan speed controller unit Sentera MTY-0-15-AT - 1,5 A  

(Unregulated input / output: 230 VAC / max. 2 A),  but I would like to change this fans speed controller unit with Dimmer 2 (Operational current:    0.25-1.1A). 

I know that there are some output current regulation difference between Dimmer 2 and Sentera, but isn't very much....can I do that ?

4 answers to this question

Nope, motors need their own regulator to tackle start loading and running characteristics.  

Your above fan speed controller is a voltage controller with phase angle control:

In phase angle control, thyristors are used to halve the voltage cycle during input. By controlling the phase angle or trigger angle, the output RMS voltage of the load can be varied. The thyristor is turned on for every half-cycle and switched off for each remaining half-cycle. The phase angle is the position at which the thyristor is switched on. 

are often used instead of thyristors to perform the same function for better efficiency.

If the load is a combination of resistance and inductance, the current cycle lags the voltage cycle, decreasing overall power output.  

Applications : 

Light dimming circuits for street lights

Industrial & domestic heating

Induction heating

tap changing

Speed control of Motors (variable torque)

speed control of winding machines,fans

AC magnet controls 

(Wikipidea)

Dimmer 2 supports Applications/loads

230V operated conventional incandescent and halogen light sources

12V operated ElV halogen lamps and dimmable lED bulbs (with electronic transformers)

12V operated MlV halogen lamps (with ferromagnetic transformers)

dimmable lED bulbs

dimmable compact uorescent CFl tube lamps

supported dimmable light sources (power factor > 0.5) with minimal power of 5VA using FIBARO Bypass 2 (depending on the type of load)

In short, you will burn out the dimmer and possibly damage insulation on motor windings.

You might be able to control  speed functions with fibaro smart implant ,but you need to check wiring diagrams (contact retailer).

Some units have a potential free connection for external units with pressostat (kitchen extractors etc), the unit usually runs on a higher speed when a pressostat is connected.

Connections T1 and T2 on the Tangra unit, connected to smart implant will bypass the heat exchanger but that's useless if its cold outside, anyway you should consult with retailer.

Edited by MARCUSP.I.L

• Inquirer
  • 11 hours ago, MARCUSP.I.L said:

Thank you very much for the detailed  explanation.

Do I need a wiring diagrams  for the smart implant or for the  Tangra ventilation unit ?

11 hours ago, MARCUSP.I.L said:

You might be able to control  speed functions with fibaro smart implant ,but you need to check wiring diagrams (contact retailer).

Some units have a potential free connection for external units with pressostat (kitchen extractors etc), the unit usually runs on a higher speed when a pressostat is connected.

Connections T1 and T2 on the Tangra unit, connected to smart implant will bypass the heat exchanger but that's useless if its cold outside, anyway you should consult with retailer.

Yes, you need wiring diagrams for both Tangra and smart implant and you should consult with Tangra supplier or Tangra technician to check that it will work.

I do not recommend that you experiment without a qualified assessment of this setup. 

Alternatively you would be able to control the unit using Smart control v2:

(All heat recovery units TANGRA EVB HiE can be equipped with intelligent control system TANGRA Smart. This allows smart control and management of the ventilation through mobile phone, PC, tablet or remote through Internet.)

You would then need a virtual device to  control functions, search on the forum for solution.

Check  with Tangra.

Edited by MARCUSP.I.L