Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

cag014

There are a lot of excellent ideas and solutions across the forum, the problem is to find them.  The purpose of this topic is to gather all best solution and ideas for smart home that your family loves and you're willing to share with others.  Any idea or solution is welcome, even non-significant idea for you could make a huge different and contribution to others. I don't know if this topic will be popular among users, but let's try.

Please do not post code or debug/fix the code in this topic. It should be posted in appropriate forum's topic and link posted here.

All you need, just one click away:

Please login or register to see this link.

If you have an idea, please send it to @cag014 by private message and I'll add to topic. (credit will kept to owner)

Edited by cag014

There are lots of posts about creating a wiki. I also mentioned it a long time ago.

One of the problems with the forum is finding things. With some sort of structure it could be possible e.g.

Tips for xxx

- initial install of hc2 / hcl

- adding / removing devices

- debugging zwave issues

- known "features" of the solution and how to deal with them (this is a very broad topic that could be broken down)

etc

Solutions for

- automated lighting

- automated heating

- automated ventilation

- weather info

- sonso integration

etc

I'm sure someone out there can come up with a better index. It would be really helpful to have great ideas and advice sorted in a structured way so it's easy to find.

• Topic Author
  • Agree... but I believe Fibaro only could provide such solution in forum.

Meanwhile we can create topic for each subject, where the tag will be the name of the subject, then it could be found easily in forum.

I have started Best Practices & ideas.

It's maybe not ideal, but I will try to gather posts in one page per subject and on the first page will keep the links...

In any case, if it will be not popular or used , I'll delete the topic. No harm done

Edited by cag014

• Guest changed the title to Best practices & Ideas
  • Topic Author
  • Home Appliance

Laundry: When laundry washing machine has finish, announce (or send note). Very appreciated by wives/girlfriends

"Laundry washing has finished, please move laundry to dryer"  or 'Tvättmaskinen har nu tvättat klart, dax att hänga tvätten.'

Kitchen oven: (Bosch model).  Takes uncertain time to reach adjusted temperature and could be stopped by internal timer.

when power > 1000 watt announce "Kitchen oven has turned On"

when power drops between  20 - 150 watt,  announce "Oven reached desired temperature"

when power stays between 20-150 watt over 6 minutes, announce "Oven has turned OFF by timer, please check pastry is ready"

when power=0 watt, announce "Oven has turned OFF, the pastry is ready"

by @Sankotronic - This scene can monitor any appliance for power consumption and send push and/or popup notification when appliance start working and/or when it is finished. You can also select to switch it off when is done or leave it under power.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Edited by cag014

• Topic Author
  • Please login or register to see this link.

by @knuth  - How can I control indoor ventilation to avoid temperature/humidity combinations that risk growth of mold  or mildew?

Edited by cag014

• Topic Author
  • Lighting Control

by @Sankotronic - With this scene lights can be controlled by any number of motion sensors, light sensors, door/window sensors and global variables that can be mirror of the motion sensors from other alarm systems or used to mimic lights while you enjoy your vacation.

Using RGB bulb outside of the door to indicate home status. Feature appreciated by whole family.

Green – someone at home and movement detected at “public” area (living room, kitchen and etc.) Alarm off

Yellow – someone at home, no movement at “public” area. Movement detected at private rooms only. Alarm off

Blue – no one at home. Alarm off

If no movement detected at “public” area for 30 minutes (even if movement detected in private rooms), activate door(s) silent alarm only. In my case alarm activated till the door(s) is breached, but it could be turned off when movement detected at “public” area. In addition, door(s) silent alarm turned ON every day at 01:00.

Red – no one at home, Alarm On

Pink – someone at home and movement detected at “public” area. Alarm On

Purple - someone at home, no movement at “public” area. Movement detected at private rooms only. Alarm On

Tip: RGB has three color fields. Alarm state changes RED field. public movement changes Blue, others Green field. Easy to implement.

By the way at night it provides a nice lighting

Edited by cag014

Ring Alarm -

If we are at home in the evening the house alarm is not enabled. Lately a lot of people are surprised to get some criminals suddenly in the evening in the house!

All the windows and doors sensors at the outside of the house are named ring alarm.

If alarm enabled one light in living room, bath room and bedroom will start to flicker.

Wife is very pleased with it.

Ok, so some things that come to mind:

HomeTable

Genius! Thank you @AutoFrank for developing this. I'm implementing it fully and what a relief to not have to fully update LUA, VDs etc when hard reconfiguring.

I was really reluctant to implement this thinking it would be hard, but it's turned out to be a doddle. Thanks to some tips from @jgab it works fine for me:

@Fibaro, please allow for variabalising (if that's even a word) of all IDs, including triggers. This will make it so much easier to hard reconfigure and rebuild systems. Once I exceeded 100 devices there was a huge reluctance to hard reconfigure as it just takes to long to update everything. If we can make all device id references variables then this problem goes away. 

Zwave Monitor

You are a star @cag014. This has helped me stabilise my system myself. It's like moving from night to day.

@Fibaro, please give us transparency into the back end so we can diagnose and fix problems ourselves? Make it a hidden service menu, whatever. Tell beginners they don't need to go there, but allow us to help ourselves, please! Build functionality like z-wave monitor + more into the HC2 itself.

Other Key Topics

I have build my solutions (for lighting and heating), but I think the following warrant a section of their own with options for different levels of functionality / complexity:

- Automated lighting (blocks, simple scene, complex scene)

- Heating (panel+, bespoke scene driven)

- Scheduler (there are a few options out there now)

• Topic Author
  • Z-Wave diagnostic

by @10der shows how devices connected and how the overall your Mesh network is structured.

If you have an issue to run load.php, just save your /api/devices/    &    /api/rooms data in directory where index.html file is and run index.html

Edited by cag014

• Topic Author
  • Security & Safety

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ring Alarm  by @Sjakie

If we are at home in the evening the house alarm is not enabled. Lately a lot of people are surprised to get some criminals suddenly in the evening in the house!

All the windows and doors sensors at the outside of the house are named ring alarm.

If alarm enabled one light in living room, bath room and bedroom will start to flicker.

Wife is very pleased with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by  @Sankotronic

Here is one simple scene that can be used for FIRE, FLOOD or OTHER ALARM purpose. When triggered by sensor it will send you popup, push and e-mail notification. It can also activate additional alarm sounders. You can also add additional actions to turn On lights, lower blinds or whatever action you like to happen when alarm is breached and also when sensor get back to safe state.

Edited by cag014

Thanks @cag14,

I know the beatifull stuff from Sankotronic.

My arming scene ist simple house + depending of occupation and ring alarm.

All together in one Event Runner scene (serviced by Jgab)

//Sjakie

• Topic Author
  • Advanced Power tools

by @Sankotronic  -  Main scene FTBE (For Time Based Events) is the beating heart of the HA system. It is the only scene necessary to loop endlessly because it is the source of most important events generated on our gateways and that are time based events!

Edited by cag014

8 hours ago, cag014 said:

by @D-Vine -  Virtual device to monitor SolarEdge solar panels. SolarEdge have the possibility to read your system data with API. What you need is the VD to download and ad into the Fibaro. Make a LUA scene where you copy the code.

Hi @cag014,

Not everybody has SolarEdge like @D-Vine, or me :-)

Almost every brand has a different API, so this is NOT a universal solution :-)

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, Bodyart said:

Almost every brand has a different API, so this is NOT a universal solution :-)

You're correct, but this is Advance & Powerful solution for SolarEdge, right?

I think if someone else have other brand, it could be easily embedded  here...

• Topic Author
  • Tips & Tricks

setTimeout()  - simple function, but not an easy task to use it. See how experts do it.

By @petergebruers

By @jgab  

Pushover Notification Service   by @AutoFrank 

Edited by cag014