Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

User plugins?

KristianO

Question

Hi,

is it now finally possible in HC3 to do user plugins? Eg I want to do an integration towards my alarm system, bus schedule, kids food schema an show it nicely in the HC3 screen. Even combine the result in an scene and trigger actions?

K

15 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • So what is possible? Nothing new, just some coding changes... what a joke! I just can understand how fibaro will compete with Homey and Smartthings?!?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KristianO said:

So what is possible? Nothing new, just some coding changes... what a joke! I just can understand how fibaro will compete with Homey and Smartthings?!?

Well, if you want to have a nice custom GUI you have to do it externally. 

However, you can make devices that are first class citizens in the framework (which old plugins could be but not VDs)

So, you can make a binary switch with Fibaro's predefined "button switch UI" and turn it on/off and have a custom behaviour for it. or a temperature sensor, etc etc.

You can also add buttons/slides/labels like in the old VD -- looks almost the same -- but it seems to be a bit shaky at the moment to get to work in the mobile app.

Although, it's not very appropriate for kids food schemes etc.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks! I’m just surprised fibaro don’t want the users to create there own apps. The growth in community would be great!

maybee its only me but I want one dashboard where I can see it all that makes sense for my day.

The weather, days schedule, lunch menu, when is the next bus leaving, status of alarm etc. This will require input from external api. Currently solving all this with Hass. But I was hoping more from Fibaro, at least for 600 euro. 

• Like 1

26 minut temu, KristianO napisał:

Thanks! I’m just surprised fibaro don’t want the users to create there own apps. The growth in community would be great!

maybee its only me but I want one dashboard where I can see it all that makes sense for my day.

The weather, days schedule, lunch menu, when is the next bus leaving, status of alarm etc. This will require input from external api. Currently solving all this with Hass. But I was hoping more from Fibaro, at least for 600 euro. 

Fibaro want that, First we release quickApps based on type like switches, temeprature sensors, later based on Entertainment, or functions lets say quickapps to send SMS (witch one you may use later is scene (not only LUA but blocks too)

• Inquirer
  • Ok so when do you estimate the following so I will buy one?

- Support for Zigbee

- Support for locks like Idlock so I can manage status and change user codes

- Support for Custom plugins for local alarm system, remote bus schedule etc

2 hours ago, KristianO said:

Thanks! I’m just surprised fibaro don’t want the users to create there own apps. The growth in community would be great!

I don't think QuickApp will provide any solution to your request. To my opinion QuickApp is overestimated. It doesn't provide any better solution than VD. Except now you have an icon that turns ON/OFF.

1 hour ago, A.Socha said:

Fibaro want that, First we release quickApps based on type like switches, temeprature sensors, later based on Entertainment, or functions lets say quickapps to send SMS (witch one you may use later is scene (not only LUA but blocks too)

Don't see anything new... I have VD which sends SMS and could be called (pressButton) from LUA and blocks scenes. (QuickApp doesn't support pressButton, to make it work you need to write functions...!?)

Honestly I don't understand how it so different to make a call to QuickApp

fibaro.call(20, "QuickAppName",2,3)

rather than make a call to scene in HC2?

fibaro:startScene(20,{2,3})

Is anyone can explain me what the excitement about?

@KristianO

By the way if you intend to use buttons and/or labels take in consideration that in mobile application you cannot see or use them. Is just ON/OFF, Safe/Breached or any other state, depends on QuickApp role (switch, sensor and etc)

Edited by cag014

• Inquirer
  • Fully agree, I was hoping I was wrong but I can’t see the excitement either. A device with this price tag I was hoping for more.

Im willing to exchange this for my Hc2 but then it must be better, much better.

Can anyone explain what can be done now with hc3 that was not possible before with hc2.

thanks!

1 minute ago, KristianO said:

Fully agree, I was hoping I was wrong but I can’t see the excitement either. A device with this price tag I was hoping for more.

Im willing to exchange this for my Hc2 but then it must be better, much better.

Can anyone explain what can be done now with hc3 that was not possible before with hc2.

thanks!

Vice versa...

19 minutes ago, cag014 said:

Vice versa...

Everything is subjective of course and you have to make your own  decision. 

- However, I feel that that QDs can be "real" devices, like plugins was in the old HC2 *IS* a big deal. It will make integrated devices work like z-wave devices - the "pressButton" was always a hack. Now I can make a temperature sensors that blends in and looks exactly like a z-wave temp sensor etc. This is a prerequisite for Fibaro to provide better UIs (and consolidates "dash-boards" for different types of devices etc) in the future

- The other thing is the programming model for QDs that will allow for much more powerful devices - I guess if I really twisted myself, some of it could have been done with a combination of VD/scene in the past but this is much more natural.

Is it perfect? No.

Did we get a new flashy GUI? No.

Does it have potential? yes... 

Do I believe we will see some new cool (QD) devices we haven't seen on the HC2? yes over time as we learn how to use it...

Can it be improved, yes, I have a list... :-) 

3 minutes ago, jgab said:

Everything is subjective of course and you have to make your own  decision. 

You are right... I'm seeking for more automation not extra icons (that looks like z-wave device!?) with values that I can seat down and watch them or turn them ON/OFF manually. I have enough wall switches to do it.

To my opinion quickapp should be an extra feature over standard VD.

• Inquirer
  • I’m just seeking for the piece of hardware that coop with zwave and Zigbee and That can serve as my only home automation solution. For me that would be the hc3 if I can combine it with external Info. Now I can’t! So then I anyway need something additional like Hass. So what is the HC3 providing more then a SmartThings then? Nothing for me.

I bought two HC2’s when user plugins were supported. One development and one installed.  Fibaro axed support and I was mad. Fibaro didn’t care at all.

Opening user plugins in HC3 would be great, and I believe is essential,   but I was burned before and I won’t buy an HC3 based on futures even if it was promised. I use other controllers now.

Edited by xAPPO

On 2/12/2020 at 1:44 PM, KristianO said:

Ok so when do you estimate the following so I will buy one?

- Support for Zigbee

- Support for locks like Idlock so I can manage status and change user codes

- Support for Custom plugins for local alarm system, remote bus schedule etc

Please login or register to see this link.

I reopen this thread. By now, I think we know that QuickApps are a real new powerful feature. Ref @Krikroff Sonos QuickApp.

So, user plugins are here, in the form of QuickApps. 

What we still miss are user created templates to fully support z-wave devices that Fibaro themselves never will get around to support. Fibaro only really care about templates for their own Z-wave devices, which is of course somewhat understandable, but for the HC2 /HC3 users, doesn't help much. We need real templates for non-Fibaro Z-wave devices, created by users / developers / other Z-wave manufacturers. 

Hey, Fibaro, why don't you just make a Template creation tool?