Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Different communication speeds

Flash

Question

Hello All,

On the first release firmware I had, with a zniffer 100kbit/s.

Now I have most of the communiction only 40kbit/s

Most of the devices are Zwave plus.

Even with the same device I have 40 and 100kbit/s.

Relocated the Home center to different places, no change in behavior

Can somebody shed some light on this behavior??

See image below.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Edited by Flash

6 answers to this question

seems to be fine, channel 0 communicate with 100k (R3 bw according to ITU-T G.9959), channel 1 with 40k (R2 bw according to ITU-T G.9959, 9.6k is allowed as well, R1 bw according to ITU-T G.9959). These devices, on which you see both, are communicating on both channels, to speed up, so again all fine. 
On the other hand, there was afaik no change in z-wave Firmware during last public updates, what you see is what z-wave mesh did for you simplified said.

What @tinman said but not 100% if that explains what you see in this particular capture. In EU, speeds are chosen by "the protocol" and we have 2 radio channels, one for 100k and one for 40/9.6 as @tinman said and due to backwards compatibility all speeds (or "rates" as they are often called) are valid. Otherwise, it would not be possible to associate devices from different generations (eg HC2 = 40k max, Z-Wave Plus device = 100k max).

If the channel noise is too high, or the transmission does not get ACK, the speed will drop and/or transmission will switch channel because lower speeds have better signal/noise ratio than higher speeds. The exact algorithm is not published by Silabs. It looks like not all packets got an ACK so Z-Wave protocol stack might have decided to try different speed, but do not jump to conclusions. Your Zniffer is not your controller and it is also not your device, it is a 3rd device in the same air space. It does not use the same antenna or hardware and it is not in the same spot as both receiver. So it does not "hear" exactly the same signal as the communicating parties do! I am assuming you are closer to the controller than the device based on the values on the RSSI column. If Zniffer sits between your device and the controller, then it looks like you are missing ACKs (and reports as well). BTW are you "polling" this device? Why so many "Multilevel Sensor Get" requests in such a short time?

• Inquirer
  • Thank you @tinman and @petergebruers

For explaining.

1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

BTW are you "polling" this device? Why so many "Multilevel Sensor Get" requests in such a short time?

So far as I know I do not poll this device. It's an Aeotec multisensor 6, I cannot find any polling settings.  Could it be a status report every hour it sends a status report.

The other devices I have I disabled polling.

What I don't understand is that for example a wallplug in the same room as the HC3 communicates at 40kbit/s, and a wallplug on the first floor communicates with 100kbit/s.

Same firmware/type/zwave version.

Can this also be a consequence of the noise?

Is there something I can do about noise?

19 minutes ago, Flash said:

What I don't understand is that for example a wallplug in the same room as the HC3 communicates at 40kbit/s, and a wallplug on the first floor communicates with 100kbit/s.

Unfortunately, I have not a single bit of information on how the protocol makes such decisions. All I have is based on observations. If you have an extra controller you can experiment yourself by running tests on a laptop and very conditions like distance and antenna position.

I would say... The decision to drop to 40k might be sticky. I mean, your device won't keep trying 100k if it is knows (whatever that means) 40k is more reliable. If my memory serves me well, I think unplugging that device will make it try highest speed again.

Anyway, are you sure both are ZW5? The old an new Wall Plug look almost identical.

28 minutes ago, Flash said:

Can this also be a consequence of the noise?

Is there something I can do about noise?

Hard to say. I do not have a noise source in my house so I have not looked into that very much. I have seen reports from other users that one of both channels showed significant noise, but I don't know what caused it. One case suspected a 3g GSM module in a nearby alarm system. But I am not too sure...

Moving a device or changing its antenna position (I am thinking of modules with antenna wire) can make 10 dB change in RSSI column, that is significant if the modules is near the edge of its range.

About a year ago I toyed with RSSI and background noise and speed and I also charted the range of the old FGWP versus Roller Shutter 3. I found the range of the plug to be rather limited (in my house, your situation might be different)

See pictures plus topic here:

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

Anyway, are you sure both are ZW5? The old an new Wall Plug look almost identical.

Just double checked. Both zwave plus.and from Fibaro.

No 3G GSM  module so far as I know of. Wi-Fi 2.4 and 5GHz and some mesh repeaters.

And a few GSM phones.

Tried unplugging the 40kBit wall plug, no change, Also did a softcofig. no change. Very smart, smartplug, still rembers his communication speed.

2 hours ago, petergebruers said:

If you have an extra controller you can experiment yourself by running tests on a laptop and very conditions like distance and antenna position

I have an extra controller, I bought 2 UZB 3 devices from silabs, after you adviced about a zniffer. One I converted to a Zniffer, the other one I use to upgrade non Fibaro devices to update. As you say I can also use this to experiment with the antenna and distances, didn't think about this.Antenna position is difficult because most of them are mounted in wall boxes behind the switch.

What baffled me was  with the firmware that came with the release from the HC3, there were more devices communicating @ 100kBit, and so far as I know of nothing changed. Maybe I can find some time to experiment.

The HC3 is stable till now, if I don't mess it up with playing around.

Will have a look @ the zwave routing topic, maybe I can learn something.

Learning HC3 LUA has more priority for me.