Jump to content

Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,


as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.


As a member you can:

  •     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!



Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

  • 0

Experience with my migration from HC2 to HC3



Hi All,

maybe this might save some people some time. I migrated this weekend from HC2 to HC3. A few things I learned (sometimes the hard way):

  • As more or less expected the devices got migrated almost smoothly.
  • However, when I started to work some of them behaved strange. After quite some time, I figured out (by looking at http://<ip>api/devices) that quite a number of the devices did not have any actions associated. A soft reconfiguration resolved this. So, as a hint it might make sense, after migration, to take the time and do a soft reconfiguration for each and any of at least the non-battery devices.
  • One of the devices hang during this process, blocking the rest. Deleting the device was not possible without pressing the famous button. As 3times S1 did not work, I took the screwdriver and .... Anyway, removing and re-assigning did it
  • I have different RGBW LED stripes which I created associations with in HC2 but could not make any of the associations work so far. Documentation here is lousy. I solved it with several scenes which automate it but this then involved the HC3, causes load and delays.
  • Redoing all the scenes allowed me to re-think my scenes and the structures. I feel that doing this re-start from Fibaro made sense. 
  • The fact that only one scene runs and - depending on the settings - the second scene kills the first one caused a lot of challenges to me until I understood this mechanism (and I understood the "Allow to restart a running scene option"). Worth looking into these things
  • QA are really different than VD but I like then very much. Where I had the biggest challenge was that I used to call "pressButton" from a scene or another VD. This is now a classical method call to any of the methods you wrote in your QA. Additionally, the ability to have local (persistent) variables helps a lot.
  • As Fibaro tries to leverage Fibaro ID, user management can change as well.
  • I used third-party apps on my tablet in the living room to control the house. Be aware the the API changed heavily and certain things do not work anymore. I am still working with Home Remote to get scenes running.


All in all it was ok. Took me a bit more than a day and most of the stuff works now. A few points, which are open or I do not like, or I feel is missing functionality at the moment:

  • Non-admin users get the sequence of segments or rooms the way the were initially entered. It seems that the admin can change the sequence but this does not get reflected to other users (a bug for me)
  • The association problem above is not fixed.
  • You only have one admin (a significant short-coming for me)
  • You still have no groups for users where you could assign rights to a certain type of users, you have to do it one by one
  • A small one: If you did not assign an installer, one LED remains red. Caused already the first confusion with my wife.
  • The Fibaro mobile app could get a bit more customization. I would like to get at least a home screen, where I can have my most used buttons and scenes. I appreciate that the app tries to figure out what I need but I want to do that myself. I know that I can add scenes and devices to the favorites but e.g. I have close to no scenes and they use a lot of my screen. The same with the bar on top. 
  • QA do not appear on the new mobile app (at least with me)
  • The room icons do not appear on the mobile app


So, this is more or less it from my side. I hope this can reduce your headache when you migrate :-)


  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 6/7/2020 at 7:30 PM, rhalbheer said:


  • A small one: If you did not assign an installer, one LED remains red. Caused already the first confusion with my wife.
  • QA do not appear on the new mobile app (at least with me)


1, If you assign an installer it is still red. I think this is a bug.

2, Fibaro said it will be in a future version of the app.... (half ready product again)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...