Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 + bypass 2 Overcurrent warning, need help!

fdsjkl

Question

I've got a licensed electrician to install some 24v LED strips in 2 rooms with dimmer 2+ bypass 2.

When first installed, both had the same warning "Caution! Overcurrent detected." But a quick force auto-calibration solved the issue. I need to force a calibration every time power cuts out. They've been working fine for 2 months with no issue.

Today, for some reason, without making any changes to wiring or setting in Fibaro, one of the 2 rooms stopped working completely. I've tried tweaking nearly every parameter in Fibaro, copied the exact same parameters of the other dimmer 2 and searched and read all related topic, still couldn't figure it our.

Normally when calibrating, the LED light brightens up slowly and dims down slowly, but now it just flashes once then straight "Overcurrent detected. Check the connection or reduce the load connected to the output."

The dimmer is connected to 2 x dimmable power supply, and each power supply drives about 6m of 9w/m 24v white LED strip. The other room has similar setup with no issue.

Attached is the spec of power supply.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by fdsjkl

3 answers to this question

It might be that the inrush current of the power supply is triggering the over current warning. Or maybe the power supply dies.

Personally I wouldn't use a dimmer 2 to drive a power supply. You can use a Fibaro RGBW device to drive 24V led strip's directly. Obviously you still need a 24V power supply in front of the RGBW device.

An advantage of the RGBW is that you can drive one full colour LED strip or 4 separate white ones.

• Inquirer
  • On 7/17/2021 at 9:33 AM, Tim__ said:

It might be that the inrush current of the power supply is triggering the over current warning. Or maybe the power supply dies.

Personally I wouldn't use a dimmer 2 to drive a power supply. You can use a Fibaro RGBW device to drive 24V led strip's directly. Obviously you still need a 24V power supply in front of the RGBW device.

An advantage of the RGBW is that you can drive one full colour LED strip or 4 separate white ones.

I do have a couple of spare Fibaro RGB controller, didn't use them because of amperage limit I believe. We did test it in another area where it's a longer run and wired to the same switch as downlight, it didn't work. Not sure how that works with Clipsal Zen switch with LED indicator, I'll ask my sparky. Thanks for the info anyways

The Fibaro RGBW2 can drive up to 6A per channel, or 12A total - that's a lot of LED strip.

Fibaro RGBW2 will work with Clipsal Zen, but you are right, the 240V Zen indicator LED won't work.