Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Switch to operate a valve actuator

Phil coyle

Question

Hi All,

I would like to use a fibaro dimmer switch to operate an electronic valve actuator.
At the monent there is a light switch doing this job, using L1 to operate close and L2 to operate open.
Can I use a fibaro switch to achieve this power to on and power to off?
If so  does anyone have a wiring diagram I can use?

Many thanks

Phil

6 answers to this question

@Phil coyle

You need to tell us more about your valve, manufacturer, model, voltage, etc.
An ordinary valve only needs an ordinary switch to work, power on = open, power off .

But if I understand you correctly, your valve also needs power to close it.
Then it would work with a dual switch FGS 222, but why do you want to use a dimmer, it seems very strange.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I only wanted to use the dimmer because I have  number of spare ones, guess I'll need to get a dual switch.

The actuator needs power on one side to open and power on the other side to close.

I am nervous about using the dual switch because, if the timing was wrong and power was applied to both sides at once it would write off the actuator, and they are a bit pricey.

I wondered if there was a switch which would output power from two points, as the dual switch does, but is not able to power both outputs at once?

Phil  

Yes, you are right that there can be a conflict if both switches pull at the same time and therefore you should always use a separate relay as safety.
    But you have not talked about data for your valve so I have to assume that it is a valve for 230V AC.

In that case, it would work with a simple switch and an external 230V relay as my picture shows.
    It also assumes that there is a voltage on the valve at all times (perhaps the valve has a built-in limit switch).
    It might work with a dimmer too, but I can not recommend it.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for that, looks very elegant.

I assume "M" is the actuator, and the relay simply swaps from one side to the other?

Regarding the isolator switch, should this just be on the main supply and ignore the ability of the fibaro switch to work with the isolator?

As you assumed, it is a 230v supply and the actuator works on 230v.

Ill get on the internet and order a relay, could you help me with the specification for the relay, I've never purchased one before?

Phil 

Your relay must be a 1-pole alternating relay 230V AC 6-10A. 6A is enough, but it is more common with 10A relay.
    It must have either a loose base or the base can be integrated with the relay, because it is important that the connections are protected against contact.

It can also be intended for a DIN rail, for example. if you build it into a box.

It must be connected so that the motor valve closes when the Fibaro switch is in the Off position (safety measure).
    And most importantly, be careful if you do the installation yourself, if you are unsure then hire an electrician.

This solution is based on the little you have told about your valve actuator and that there is always a voltage on the valve's Off or On input.

Example of relay for DIN rail

Please login or register to see this link.

Example of relay with loose base

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Many thanks for that, I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

My son is a qualified electrician and will do the install, I'm just getting the materials together.