Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

New Home Center 3, can't add any z-wave devices

DobboWong

Question

Have just got a brand new home center 3, plugged it in, updated the software. When I try and add a device (I have tried both a aetec multisensor and a schilage link applianbce module so far) but neither are recongised and it just times out. Any ideas?

8 answers to this question

Are the Z-wave devices new? May be they have included in the past.

Please try to remove them using HC3, I mean on devices page press (-) and then exclude devices according to their manual.

After that try to include the device...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Devices and Controller on same frequency (region)?  Should be on the device, eg on the label of my HC3 it says "EU 868 MHz". If they don't match you'll have to ask for an exchange.

• Inquirer
  • It says AH 433Mhz AH 921Mhz on the box. I bought it via Kogan from "Oz Smart Things" in Sydney Australia and I am also in Sydney Australia. The devices I am trying to connect have previously worked with a Vera 3 (Australia version). Has the Australian seller I bought it from sold me controller that doesn't work domestically?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • On 3/12/2022 at 12:42 PM, cag014 said:

Are the Z-wave devices new? May be they have included in the past.

Please try to remove them using HC3, I mean on devices page press (-) and then exclude devices according to their manual.

After that try to include the device...

It's a brand new HC3, I have plenty of devices that were previously added to a Vera 3 (Australian version) but have been unable to add the devices to the new HC3 so far.

Look here for a z-wave frequency table:

Please login or register to see this link.

Looks like in Australia there can be two. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DobboWong said:

It says AH 433Mhz AH 921Mhz on the box.

The 921 looks good to me

22 minutes ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

Looks like in Australia there can be two. 

Yes, and also probably "no", I would say one is for non-Z-Wave-Plus devices running at 9.6 or 40 kbit per second and one for is for Z-Wave Plus devices at 100 kbit/s

58 minutes ago, DobboWong said:

Has the Australian seller I bought it from sold me controller that doesn't work domestically?

That is unlikely, but not impossible. The Frequency Issue mostly arrises when people order online stuff from an international seller. Not so much when buying from a local seller.

There are rare cases of countrys switching frequency - an example is Singapore.

He would have to sell "wrong HC" but also "wrong modules"... Did you buy them all at once?

Did you try what @cag014 said?

Any controller can exclude and reset any z-wave device at any time. So put your HCx in "delete" mode (devices tab) like you would if you would want to exclude a device. Then perform the "right exclude click sequence" on the device, it is in the manual of that device, it will be the same as the "include" sequence. Many Fibaro devices allow you to use S1 for that, and a (small) button on the device. The fact that your HomeCenter is not the original hub (the one that included the device) does not matter. Any controller can exclude and reset any z-wave device at any time.

The Exclusion procedure for "Fibaro Single Switch 2"

Removing (Exclusion) - Z-Wave device learning mode, allowing to remove the device from existing Z-Wave network.
    To remove the device from the Z-Wave network:
    1. Place the Switch 2 within the direct range of your Z-Wave controller.
    2. Identify the S1 switch.
    3. Set the main controller in remove mode (see the controller’s manual).
    4. Quickly, three times press the S1 switch.
    5. Wait for the removing process to end.
    6. Successful removing will be confirmed by the Z-Wave controller’s message.

Again, you may think: "this won't work because the device was never included on this controller" but that does not matter. Please do try it, it will work, I am 100% certain. It is a feature of Z-Wave.

In case of problems with adding/removing using S1 switch, use B-button instead (located on the housing)

2 hours ago, DobboWong said:

It's a brand new HC3, I have plenty of devices that were previously added to a Vera 3 (Australian version) but have been unable to add the devices to the new HC3 so far.

I asked about the devices not HC3... If devices have been connected previously even on brand new controller you to remove them first... the inclusion data stored in the devices.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 13 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Again, you may think: "this won't work because the device was never included on this controller" but that does not matter. Please do try it, it will work, I am 100% certain. It is a feature of Z-Wave.

That was it! Thanks petergebruges and cag014. After excluding using the HC3 I was able to add my first device (fibaro flood sensor) to the HC3. I've about 50+ devices all purchased about 8 years ago, but after many issues with the vera 3 it just died one day , so I was unable to exclude with the vera. Having the vera die on me after all the hard work setting it up left a bitter taste in my mouth and it's taken me another few years before getting another (hopefully much better and more stable) HC3 controller. It does seem a bit counter intuitive to have to remove a device that had never been included on the HC3 in order to add it, but now that I know what to do I'm on track! Appreciate your help and support!

• Like 1