Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Roller Shutter 3 - Without function - Pulses only blue

maxxx

Question

Hi. Maybe someone can help me.

I have 20 x "Fibaro Roller Shutter 3" in use for about six months. At first, that works perfectly. Since few weeks more and more get out.
7 devices no longer work. Not by switch (toggle switch) and not with my controller (Homey).

- i tried to ex-/include (unsuccessfully)
- pressed the B button for a longer time (no reaction)
- Power off/on (as before nothing except the blue light).
- placed the controller directly in front of the switch

But: the roller shutter lights up incessantly slowly blue (not violet) for 5 seconds and then are dark again for 5 seconds.
No matter what i press or do, they are not impressed by any input. Attached is a video of this.

Please login or register to see this link.

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot already

----

Controller: Homey Pro
Version: 7.3.0
Device: Fibaro Roller Shutter 3 (FGR-223)
Fibaro Version: 3.4.1

14 answers to this question

Strange. I can't see an explanation for blue light in the manual. A couple of ideas:

Dark blue light could mean device is trying to calibrate. Check your homey parameters to see if this parameter is incorrectly set

Light blue (cyan) could mean device is trying to do a firmware update. But not sure homey supports such updates. With my HC2 I trigger updates from the controller interface, could you have set homey to try and do updates?

Either way I suspect the problem is homey related.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:22 PM, maxxx said:

- i tried to ex-/include (unsuccessfully)

Was the exclusion successful or unsuccessful?

I am going to copy/paste a procedure I posted it least 20 times in 10 years, and it is still valid ;)

Any controller can exclude and reset any z-wave device at any time. So put your HCx or Homey in "delete" mode (devices tab) like you would if you would want to exclude an existing device. Then perform the "right exclude click sequence" on the device, it is in the manual of that device, it will be the same as the "include" sequence. Many Fibaro devices allow you to use S1 for that, and a (small) button on the device. For the FGR-223 the procedure is "Quickly, triple click the S1 switch." The fact that your current controller migh be or might not be the original hub (the one that has or had included the device) does not matter. Any controller can exclude and reset any z-wave device at any time.

The Exclusion procedure for "FGR-223" for example (other devices have similar procedure but best to check the manual):

Removing (Exclusion) - Z-Wave device learning mode, allowing to remove the device from existing Z-Wave network.
To remove the device from the Z-Wave network:

1. Place the module within the direct range of your Z-Wave controller.
2. Set the main controller in remove mode (see the controller’s manual).
3. Quickly, three times press the S1 switch.
4. Wait for the removing process to end.
5. Successful removing will be confirmed by the Z-Wave controller’s message.

Again, you may think: "this won't work because the device was never included on this controller" but that does not matter. Please do try it, it will work, I am 100% certain. It is a feature of Z-Wave.

If instead of getting a "deleted" message (step 5) you see the controller exclusion timer keeps counting down until it times out... the controller did not "hear" the module and something is wrong.

If the exclusion process does not work, the device might have range issues, power supply issues or it might be broken. If it is a new device, a rare, but possible cause is that your module and controller have different frequencies.

Edited by petergebruers
  • Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • Thank you for the detailed ideas. Unfortunately, none of them worked.

The device does not respond to anything.

I have written to Fibaro support directly, but I have not received an answer yet.

I will now claim the 7 devices as warranty. Thank you very much.

@maxxx @Sharkys did you get any answer to this issue.

This is happening to me with two fibaro walli roller shutters.

When i tried to exclude them from Homey using the steps described by @petergebruers I got the blue blinking light and it is now impossible to do anything with the device.

I suspect i will need to send those back under warranty too!

Thanks for letting me know

@Gianmarco Cicuzza unfortunately not, it looks like those shutters are dying as manufacturer subscribed for them - after warranty. Official reason is that it's "Z-Wave chip issue / malfunction"

I just had the same issue.
    5 of my fibaro roller shutters 3 just died/ stopped working almost at the same time.
    It is a blue long-flashing light, and it is nothing (it seems) I can do about it. 
    I just sent Fibaro an e-mail, so I hope I get some clear answers.
    I do have 22 connected and they worked flawless for 3 months time (that is when I installed them).

I do use  the new Homey Pro and everything has been working good until now. 

They are 100% without signal from the homey. Cannot heal, test, or do anything.

I have tried to cut the electricity, disconnected them, tried to reset them with 10 sec, 20 sec, 1 minute.
    Also had them disconnected for some hours and then tried again, but no, nothing.

The worst problem is that when they are "dying" the wall switch is also useless,

so everything has to be disconnected. Exhausting. Hopefully not all of them will die.

I had 22 installed as mention earlier.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Seems this issue only occurs when using a Homey controller? Some instance of catastrophic incompatibility?

Actually I dont know.

And the answer from Fibaro was a standard respond; only to send them in for service/repair.

But it is really strange that it happened the same time. Different locations around the house.

The boring part is to replace them and install them again and again.
    Its like I have a smarthouse,

but in the end it gives me more work than just having a traditional house with a "dumb" wall-switch. ;) 

Smart life is hard.

Edit:

No respond from Homey yet.

But I'll post it if/when they answer my email.

Edited by timgakk

So at this moment I would be interested in network traffic captured using Zniffer. Try to find someone in the area, or here on the forum, if someone would help.

It's strange that several devices die at the same time. It almost sounds as if one of the devices through which the others communicated died. At the same time, an alternative route should be found. Even more strange is that at that moment the S1/S2 inputs are not working either.

You can try resetting to factory defaults->

From manual:

Reset procedure allows to restore the device back to its factory settings, which means all information about the Z-Wave controller and user configuration will be deleted.

Switch off the mains voltage (disable the fuse).

Remove the device from the wall switch box.

Switch on the mains voltage.

Press and hold the B-button to enter the menu.

Wait for the LED indicator to glow yellow.

Quickly release and click the B-button again.

After a few seconds the device will be restarted, which is signaled with the red LED indicator color.

eM.

I start with the last part you mentioned Martin_N:

Switch off the mains voltage (disable the fuse).

Remove the device from the wall switch box.

Switch on the mains voltage.

Press and hold the B-button to enter the menu.

Wait for the LED indicator to glow yellow.

Quickly release and click the B-button again.

After a few seconds the device will be restarted, which is signaled with the red LED indicator color.

-Sadly it is not working regarding this issue.

Did it many times, over many days and hours.

This was my replay from Fibaro aswell.
    other than that they did not know, and just asked me to send them in.
    So I am sure they are aware of the problem, but it is nothing that can be done.

Maybe they are discussing it with Homey. because searching the web,

it is hard to come across the same problem/issue, but when I do,

someone had a Homey connected.🤔

I am just afraid this will happen to more of us,

when Homey gets more commun.

I aslo have 40 Dimmer 2 connected around too, and are scared to death if this will start to happen to them aswell.

Do a full new installation is not something I am really keen on doing.
    Even though I love my smart house hobby. 😀

Speculation: It could be that your Homey controller is trying to do firmware updates, and is bricking the devices in the process. If this is true, this is the scenario that Fibaro is trying to avoid, by not allowing 3rd party controllers to do firmware updates, lest they be blamed for resulting problems.

Anyway please do post back here if you uncover the official cause!

Because I also have a Homey in use, but also have an HC2 from before, I tried at that time to repair one of @maxxx RS3 with an HC2, but that was not possible either. Also tried all methods already mentioned here. Everything without success.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:00 AM, Tim__ said:

Some instance of catastrophic incompatibility?

I don't know how to identify the incompatibility, because the RS3 work fine with a Homey. Also @maxxx and @timgakk are using two completely different Homey models including different Z-Wave chips.

On 8/6/2023 at 11:45 PM, Tim__ said:

Speculation: It could be that your Homey controller is trying to do firmware updates,

All Homey models are currently not able to perform Z-Wave firmware updates. This might be possible in the future with the Homey Pro (early 2023).

I have something like 10pcs here, they act strange, no single z-wave frame on zniffer, all coming from our Homey customers.

Let's assume the new driver will fix BLoD:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2023_11/image.png.e7799be93662ea61607dd93f26bb9efb.png" />