Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Heiman HS1SA-Z with HC3

Vinod

Question

Hello Fibaro Community,

I am trying to add Heiman Heiman HS1SA-Z Smart Smoke Sensor to my HC3. After starting the inclusion process on my HC3, I start learning mode on the device by pressing Net button 3 times. The Green light blinks for 30 secs confirming that the device is in learning mode. However HC3 does not identify and add this device. I have tried by enabling and disabling Network wide inclusion and also close proximity inclusion, but couldn't get this added. Is there any specific method involved to add this device?

7 answers to this question

I am going to copy/paste a procedure I posted on this forum at least 20 times in 10 years, and it is still valid ;)

Maybe the device has been used before and needs a reset by doing an "exclusion"

Any controller can exclude and reset any z-wave device at any time. So put your HCx or whatever controller in "delete" mode (devices tab) like you would if you would want to exclude an existing device. Then perform the "right exclude click sequence" on the device, it is in the manual of that device, it will be the same as the "include" sequence. Many Fibaro devices allow you to use S1 for that, and a (small) button on the device. Do not guess, check the manual! The fact that your current controller might be or might not be the original hub (the one that has included, or had included the device) does not matter. Any controller can exclude and reset any z-wave device at any time.

The Exclusion procedure for "FGR-223" for example (other devices have similar procedure but best to check the manual):

Removing (Exclusion) - Z-Wave device learning mode, allowing to remove the device from existing Z-Wave network.
To remove the device from the Z-Wave network:

1. Place the module within the direct range of your Z-Wave controller.
2. Set the main controller in remove mode (see the controller’s manual).
3. Quickly, three times press the S1 switch.
4. Wait for the removing process to end.
5. Successful removing will be confirmed by the Z-Wave controller’s message.

Again, you may think: "this won't work because the device was never included on this controller" but that does not matter. Please do try it, it will work, I am 100% certain. It is a feature of Z-Wave.

If instead of getting a "deleted" message (step 5) you see the controller exclusion timer keeps counting down until it times out... the controller did not "hear" the module and something is wrong.

If the exclusion process does not work, the device might have range issues, power supply issues or it might be broken. If it is a new device, a rare, but possible cause is that your module and controller have different frequencies.

After that, try to "include" again...

Edited by petergebruers
  • Like 1

@Vinodhave 3 of these sensors and they have been working fine for almost a year. For one, removing it before adding it didn't help, but after a system reset. You do this by removing the battery, pressing and holding the programming button and inserting the battery back.
Then again try to include in HC3.@Vinod

• Like 2

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for the response. However I am still unable to add.

I tried exclusion, however HC3 does not hear the device and the exclusion process times out.

I also tried resetting the device by holding the NET button and inserting the battery. HC3 is still unable to find the device for adding.

It does not seem to be device problem as I am facing this issue with 2 of these devices. Also they seem to work properly with Hash test, blinking for 30 secs after pressing NET button 3 times. Light flashing while resetting...

HS1SA-Z box says it is EU:868.42MHz. But I am not sure of my HC3 frequency. How to check the frequency of HC3?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vinod said:

I tried exclusion, however HC3 does not hear the device and the exclusion process times out.

That means the HC3 did not "hear" the device

I also tried resetting the device by holding the NET button and inserting the battery. HC3 is still unable to find the device for adding.

RESET should work, if it doesn't it points to the same (possible cause), the HC3 does not "hear" the device

Also they seem to work properly with Hash test, blinking for 30 secs after pressing NET button 3 times.

What is a Hash test?

I have been wondering, are you sure these devices have EVER worked? I am asking I know they sell a ZigBee variant of this sensor and the outside looks exactly the same. Not sure about the "blinking patterns" though.

HS1SA-Z box says it is EU:868.42MHz.

Correct for EU territory.

This makes my "Zigbee" theory unlikely because it would not have that EU printed on the box. Unless someone mixed up the packaging. Mmmmmm.

How to check the frequency of HC3?

Bottom left corner of the sticker on the bottom of your HC3 should say "EU" ant not for exampe "US".

I do not think the wrong frequency gets sold through official channels, but it has happened that people buy a device from a different territory online eg second hand units.

Do you have any other Z-Wzve device to test with?

• Inquirer
  • Checked the sticker below HC3. It says IN 433 MHz and IN 865 MHz. So does this mean they are not compatible?

It also says 24 05 2021 below that, which I assume is Date of Manufacturing.

Sticker also says "Made in Poland".

HC3 was supplied by a vendor in India. They basically import Fibaro products and sell it here in India as Fibaro does not have direct presence in India.

I got the Smoke Sensor online from a UK retailer who ships to India.

This is a new device and it never worked with my HC3. But I have many other Fibaro and third party z-wave devices working with HC3. All of these were bought in India.

Hash test is just an alarm test to check whether the sensor is working. If the test button is pressed, it beeps a couple of times to ensure sensor is in working condition.

59 minutes ago, Vinod said:

It says IN 433 MHz and IN 865 MHz. So does this mean they are not compatible?

Unfortunately the "IN" means it is a different region than "EU" and they are incompatible

1 hour ago, Vinod said:

I got the Smoke Sensor online from a UK retailer who ships to India.

That explains it, the Smoke Sensor uses a different frequency. This was frequency is set at the factory, the hardware may or mey not be slightly different and incompatible. I do not know of an easy fix.

1 hour ago, Vinod said:

But I have many other Fibaro and third party z-wave devices working with HC3. All of these were bought in India.

If you check the labels you should find they have "IN" and 865 as frequency

1 hour ago, Vinod said:

Hash test is just an alarm test to check whether the sensor is working. If the test button is pressed, it beeps a couple of times to ensure sensor is in working condition.

Ah OK so that tells you if the sensing element is OK and if the battery can supply enough power. I guess it does but unfortunately you have a device from a different region

Here is a frequency table of every country:

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Thank you. I will try to return these devices and look for alternate in India itself.

Thanks a lot again for helping to find this.

• Like 1