Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC3 Pro - any plans for it?

afendikov

Question

Hi All,

It's 5 years already, when HC3 hit the market.

Still a lot of room for development - we are all waiting for normal ZigBee support and Z-Wave Engine 3.0 release

Maybe even Matter support will come someday.

But for CPU and RAM usage - HC3 is already quite old machine...

It can be good idea to have more powerful HC3 with 8-core CPU and 4Gb of RAM. A lot's of QA can live and run there :)

And new CPU will be more power efficient. For last 5 years it was a big progress in CPU production.

Of course, it will be useful to have Z-Wave 700/800 chip inside.

So, is it possible, that HC3 Pro on the horizon?

P.S.  Reason why I'm thinking about it - my HC3 is overheating for last month...

Maybe it's a new feature of 5.141 beta, but I see very often this warning from my HC3: "Possible performance decrease due to overheating"...

Thanks

6 answers to this question

On 7/3/2023 at 12:27 AM, afendikov said:

It's 5 years already, when HC3 hit the market.

3,5 years ...

It can be good idea to have more powerful HC3 with 8-core CPU and 4Gb of RAM. A lot's of QA can live and run there :)

And new CPU will be more power efficient. For last 5 years it was a big progress in CPU production.

sure, and some of them already EOL. What Fibaro got, is SoC with guaranteed availability for 7 years afaik, which makes things much easier for manufacturer (unless you decide to use raspi modules, but then forget about TPM / security features, it tooks me a year and some luck to get root on HC3, but only few minutes to "understand and get in" on Homey Pro 2023). While of course some ppl simply don't care about the security, other does. For lot of my B2B customers, there is no way to implemented something else that HC3. On the other hand, i would be happy to get officially sandbox on HC3.

Of course, it will be useful to have Z-Wave 700/800 chip inside.

of course would be easier for Fibaro to use them, to get easier matter bridge implemented (due to Silabs examples/stack), but actually with zw3 engine that stack should work as well.

From RF point of view, HC3 with 500 chip and LNA still beats 800 a bit

• Like 2

• Inquirer
  • On 7/4/2023 at 11:10 PM, tinman said:

3,5 years ...

sure, and some of them already EOL. What Fibaro got, is SoC with guaranteed availability for 7 years afaik, which makes things much easier for manufacturer (unless you decide to use raspi modules, but then forget about TPM / security features, it tooks me a year and some luck to get root on HC3, but only few minutes to "understand and get in" on Homey Pro 2023). While of course some ppl simply don't care about the security, other does. For lot of my B2B customers, there is no way to implemented something else that HC3. On the other hand, i would be happy to get officially sandbox on HC3.

of course would be easier for Fibaro to use them, to get easier matter bridge implemented (due to Silabs examples/stack), but actually with zw3 engine that stack should work as well.

From RF point of view, HC3 with 500 chip and LNA still beats 800 a bit

Yep, my bad. I remembered, that I saw HC3 on CES, and for the last times I was on CES on 2018 and 2020, so, it was on 2020, right before COVID.

LNA for HC3 - it's factory feature or you made it by yourself?

can you provide more details ( maybe in PM ) ? 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by afendikov

As a product Owner of Hubs would be great for me  if you will post here your wish list with rationale for what

Today HC3 is still one of the more powerful solutions available on the market, if you need more computing power please write for what

On 7/7/2023 at 2:25 PM, A.Socha said:

As a product Owner of Hubs would be great for me  if you will post here your wish list with rationale for what

Today HC3 is still one of the more powerful solutions available on the market, if you need more computing power please write for what

My HC3 run on 70% RAM usage... ???? OK some cache in use..

CPU load has peaks up to 70%, no idea where is comes from (have just 43 devices and few QA... no scenes running.

Many times, I need to refresh the browser page and that takes more than 5 seconds sometimes it's just stuck for almost a minute.

Zwave and Zigbee communications stuck every few minutes, just no reaction at all. May be because of Beta version.

I don't want to insult anyone, but my very old HC2 runs better and has much more stable performance. I thought in one or maybe two years I will retire HC2, but HC3 insists to keep HC2 alive.😁

Just out of curiosity, is Fibaro support doesn't react to HC3 feedbacks on bugs? Have receive no reply (except an automatic email).

All requests are in waiting for review status.

Should we stop to use it?

Edited by cag014
    • Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 2:25 PM, A.Socha said:

Interesting...

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

• Inquirer
  • On 7/7/2023 at 2:25 PM, A.Socha said:

I have quite high load for my HC3 and I even don't finish with development of my home automatization. I will have more RS485 relays, connected to HC3 via HC3, Solar Inverters, working with 2 different QA's, export to Influx, QA for control WiFi Air-Conditioning and so on.

HC3 running with 21 QA, 102 Z-Wave device, 7 ZigBee device ( and more to come ), 11 scenes ( very simple one's )

Memory load is constant high, CPU load also

I'm thinking to add second HC3 to the system, but there is very strict restrictions:

- I can't use secondary CPU and RAM for QA's 

- there is no Gateways Connection for Z-Wave 3.0 Engine

- there is no ZigBee network expansion for Gateways Connection

So, in case that I want to have more QA's, I'm stuck only with main HC3 and it resources looks like already limited

Maybe you planning to make possibility to run QA's on secondary HC3 with Gateways Connection ?

I remember, we discuss it some time ago with @m.roszak, but I don't know what are your plans for it for near future.