Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Lost a lot of dimmers. Firmware or something else?

Whswede

Question

I have in total 8 pcs of FGD-212, the Dimmer 2 installed in my kitchen. 4 of them are not connecting anymore. Z-wave diagnostics say 100% failed communication. They work fine from the physical wall button and also from a separate NodOn/remote. Somehow HC3 won’t see them anymore. The are all included in several scenes and I would really not appreciate having to update scenes and code if I force them to new IDs. What options do I have? Also I would really not enjoy pulling them out of the wall outlets as it is an extreme hazel to fit them all back in. Most of them are fitted with the dimmer by-pass as well. The other 4 in same location work fine as well as a few more around the house. 

I am running FW 5.141.59 (beta) since a few days, not sure if issue started after upgrade or not. I was away for a few days so the scenes not running may have been overseen…

Please login or register to see this attachment.

8 answers to this question

Just for the future define json table for all your devices, so when you will reinclude them from any reason, you have just one place to change the IDs. All scenes and QA will require no changes.

@cag014 Can you show an example of this json table and where to place it with hc3/hc3l?

Edited by Fabir

3 hours ago, Fabir said:

@cag014 Can you show an example of this json table and where to place it with hc3/hc3l?

Of course.

For example, let create a manual LUA scene called "JsonTable" and global variable "device"

Now in the scene define the device table by rooms (could be same device name but in different room like motion or light)

(you can just copy the code below, it should run without any errors)

Please login or register to see this code.

run the scene once or every time you change the table data 

If the device ID has been changed, just change the id number in the table and run the scene. No need to change anything at any other code.

Another advantage using json table, you don't need to remember device IDs and what they represent. The name like kitcchen.oven self-explained.

You can create sub tables for your convenience, for example to find if any motion has detected at entire home:

Create json sub table right after jT table

jT={
kitchen={ oven=200, light=210, kettle=220, motion=230}, 
childRoom1={light=300, AC=310, heater=320, motion=330},
childRoom2={light=400, AC=410, heater=420,motion=430},
bathroom={boiler=500, boilerTemp=510, light=520, motion=520},
}

jT.homeMotion={jT.kitchen.motion,jT.childRoom1.motion,jT.childRoom2.motion,jT.bathroom.motion}

hub.setGlobalVariable("device",json.encode(jT))

now in another QA/Scene you can do as follow:

jT=json.decode(hub.getGlobalVariable("device")) 

for i=1,#jT.homeMotion do

if hub.getValue (jT.homeMotion[i]) == true then print("Motion detected device=",jT.homeMotion[i]) end

end

Off course you can add names in the table to see right away what sensor breached and not just an ID.

You can add/change the homeMotion table at any time and immediately the changes are reflected at any other code.

Do it for lights or heavy power consumers to find out if they are ON?

Please let me know if you need any further help or ideas.

Edited by cag014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@WhswedeThings you can try step by step:

-Wake-up the Dimmers in hc3 controller

-Restart hc3

-Turn OFF/On Power going to the Dimmers 2

-Soft Reconfiguration for each Dimmer 2

-Restore the previous Firmware for hc3 from backup

@cag014Thank you very much, for the json table example.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Ended up in force-remove of all four.  Re-included and things are ok again. Hoping loosing them was a one off thing only…

I will certainly look into the json table tip.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • Now it happened again. Same four switches are lost. No connection. Works fine from the physical switch but will not connect. Remote I used before not working as I after the last time reset also that and I hav not had the time to reconfigure. I did not update firmware this time. Things just suddenly died. Any further suggestions?

• Inquirer
  • Problem solved. For unknown reason the last re-inclusion of the four dimmers was gone. I realized this due to all four dimmers was not having high number id’s.  They should have the highest I’d-numbers of all my devices as they were the four latest added. I the looked at my backups and the latest one (that I did after last fixing this) had an option I did not recognize. Not only “download” and “restore”. Can’t remember now what it said but I basically was giving me the option to restore it. I did and all was back as before, ie working. Curios on why HC3 reverted back to settings to before the latest backup by itself. I have had a few power outs due to thunder storms lately - perhaps related??