Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

AEOTEC Home Energy Meter && FIBARO Incompatibility(ies)

yves.guern

Question

For your information here is a mail sent to Fibaro & AEOTEC

in summary: 2 Home Energy Meter Gen5 that were working (80%) on HC2 are unable to provide any information with HC3.

For sure I will let you know, but If you may help also it would be great...

Hi

Here is a description of my problems:
(foreword: I have a three phases installation)

I had for years, 2 “Home Energy Meter Gen5”  included in a Fibaro Home center 2 without problems.
After inclusion in HC2 I get 12 ‘fields’ = 4 x 3  [total of 3 phases, phase 1, phase 2, phase 3] x [Wh,Amp&Voltages]
Even if “Watt” fields seems to be missing (I don’t need them), it has been working (fields updated) as waited.

Today I try (successfully) to remove those sensors from my Home Center 2 and then I include them in my brand-new Home Center 3.
Note, before answering, that I try inclusion in HC3 at least 3 times and a reset of “Home Energy Meter Gen5” (pressing button 10s) had been tried without any change.

After every inclusion in HC3  I get 32 ‘fields’  (!!!) = 4 x 8 that seem to be :
[total of 3 phases, phase 1, phase 2, phase 3]x [Wh,W,Amp,Voltages, Wh,W,Amp,Voltages]
ie twice the number of waited fields.

And even Worse, None are updated on real changes (even if my pool’ pump is switched on/off (1kW))

RK: On the HC3 interface, when the HC3 is rebooted, the classic message ‘transfert OK’ is seen with every fields. But this happens only once, and values are not coherent. I mean that ‘volts’ values are “realist” but Amps and Watts are not real (V x A != W) and Total of phases fields are not the sum of whatever is in the other fields .

End of the day I had to reinclude these sensors in my HC2 but I really would like to take away my HC2 from my installation.
Today it seems impossible, your help will really be appreciated.

Best Regards
Yves Guern

PS:       This request is send to Aeotec, Fibaro (& fibaro forums)
My HC3 is running SW version 5.130
AEON is V 1.5 (as per what is seen on HC2 interface)

14 answers to this question

@yves.guernI've also had an aeotec Gen5 3 phase energy meter connected to a fibaro hc2 and another one to a hcl. They have worked fine for several years.

With hc3 and hc3l i,'ve seen the same issue as you have right now. But I could get the aeotec meters working again.

I recommend you to do the following:

-exclude the gen5 energy meter from hc3

-Update hc3 to the 5.141 FW

-Update the aeotec gen5 energy meter to the lastest firmware. Last year this was firmware 1.6. In order to get that, you need to open a support ticket on the aeotec website.

-Update the gen5 engergy meter with the firmware you got from aeotec. I did this with a Zwave Gen5 Stick from aeotec. 

-Include the gen5 energy meter to hc3 again.

-About the 32 fields you would see. This energy meter could also be used to measure the production of energy. For instance, if you have PV solar system.  I'm  only using consumption fields. And only five fields. Total kWh, Total Watt, Watt L1, Watt L2 and Watt L3.

-In my case this is working good. I've compared the readings from the aeotec meter verus an expensive precision energy meter. And they were almost the same.

Edited by Fabir

• Inquirer
  • Hi Fabir,

Thanks!!

I did not try yet your recommendations but I surely will:

•  I have already get an answer from AEOTEC that, among 2 other things, proposes to update HEM firmware to 1.6.

Meanwhile I have found a sort of workaround that consists in forcing HC3 to update datas from these HEM sensors every 60s.

It is not a real solution but it allows me to get rid of my beloved HC2 :-).

This shows that :

• HEM still measure what it should
    • but does not seems to be allowed to let know modifications to HC3...

Regards,

Edited by yves.guern
    syntax

Hi.

I had the same problem with the HEM.
    Updating the HEM firmware to the latest did NOT help,  but is recommended anyway.
    I tried several times to include the HEM!! - I never got it to work as it should!

My solution was:
    Homeassistant
    plus a Z-stick form AEOTEC ( which also needs firmware update!, which can easily be done in homeassistant!!
    Without a problem HEM can be configured easily.
    cheers

By the way,
    the latest Z-Stick 7 firmware is:
    700 Series
    by Silicon Labs
    Firmware: 7.19

@yves.guernI think the aeotec 5gen 3phase energy meter will be fine after the update to 1.6. In my use case, I didn't need to change any paramters.

Under adavanced you can see which field is desigend for consumption or production use case.

@pflugjIf you have the aeotec energy meter for 1phase this is NOT the same as the 3phase energy meter in regard to connect it to a fibaro hc3 / hc3l. 

I've seen some people in this forum, who couldn't succesfully use it with the new fibaro homecenters. 

Edited by Fabir
    • Like 1

I do have the 3-phase meter and it never fully worked for me in HC3 :-(
    As far as I can remember, it was always one of the clamps, which did not update values as configured.

I even took the HEM apart, because I thought there might be a lose connection or a faulty component.
    But everything looked fine🤔...

I then included it in Homeassistant  and it worked immediately AS configured!
    cheeers

@pflugjOK, good you found a solution working for you.

Not everybody likes the need to have two devices for the same use case. About six years ago, when I started wih smarthome, I've used homeassistant. But I good sick and tired, have to buy a new sd card, when the card on the rhasperry pi got corrupt again, because of to many read/write cicles. 

Today I would use homeassistant on linux maschine or with an ssd and raspberry. 

Edited by Fabir

• Inquirer
  • Hi

Just uploading firmware 1.6 to HEM (using z-way usb key) effectivelly solve my issues.

I did dot upgrade HC3, I am still running 5.130

Great day!😀

Fabir @
    Nowadays I run both. 
    Homeassistant on a Pi400 & SSD,
    and Fibaro HC3. 

Some things are so much easier in homeassistent than in HC3!!
    but HC3 has a few other advantages!!
    I like the Lua programming, for example.

Cheers

• Like 1

I had an old Aeotec 3Phase HEM Gen5, 100A clamps, that was on firmware version 1.2... after a certain Fibaro update which I don't recall I started having a lot of problems with the readings. I talked to Aeotec and asked for a firmware update, they told me there was no update for my HEM. I bought a new one yesterday and it came with firmware v1.6 installed. Everything seems to be working fine... fast and accurate readings, no more "Not Configured" message on devices.

Edited by VascoFilipe
    • Like 1

Hello @VascoFilipe , I have issue with an HEM gen 5 Single Clamp 60A.
    I would appreciate if you could share which HEM model you purchased with v1.6 installed.

I noticed that V1.6 is not even mentionned on AEOTEC firmware page :

Please login or register to see this link.

@olivierAJust for clarifacation. An aeotec gen5 1phase energy meter is not the same as an aeotec gen5 3phase energy meter regarding the firmware. You need the check the aeotec support site in order to get the right firmware for your gen5 energy meter. You need the EU Version. 

• Like 2

I also had this problem.  No data was updated after adding Hem Gen 5 to HC3.  All data was "frozen".  I received a response from Aeotec support to change the association item - controller (multichannel) to controller (singlechannel).  I changed some data in parameter 101 to wake up the system and now it's working :).

Aeotec also advised me that if there was a measurement problem later, to set parameter 111 to 240 seconds and then parameter 3 to 0.  But that was no longer necessary.  So far it works even if I have parameter 111 set to 30 seconds.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Riki