Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

RGBW warm white

Neo Andersson

Question

Helo guys

Anyone has any clue, how to use a Fibaro RGBW modul just for warm white handling?

Customer has a LED strip, that is only white colored, and i want to manage it from Fibaro.

So as there is no colors it can produce only the warm white color, however i can not acces it from Fibaro, as i don't know how to do it. 

This warm white chanell in Fibaro rgbw is not producing the color from mixing all the colors, so there must be some command to turn ON OF, or set brightness for that Warm white color only. 

Anyone any help please?

17 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • 4 minutes ago, RH_Dreambox said:

@Neo Andersson

Configure the RGBW unit as an in-out unit and you can control 4 separate white LED strips.

We are struggling with this like half a year. The white led is connected to the white chanell of the RGBW modul, and no other chanells are connected, as there is only a white led stripe.

The problem is, that we tried to use only the white chanell, but it doesnt work properly. i need to control this device on the picture / I call it color controller

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2023_12/image.png.f0515e7a09941bb3e77ffe6c74a458be.png" />

and not the chanells itself, as when you are using chanells only, there must be a bug in Fibaro..Many times turning on a chanell doesnt work, because for some reason the brightness of color controller drops to 0, and so the chanell itself doesnt react to Turn On. We need to manually set brightness up again..Very annoying. 

So we found out, that using the Warm white only can solve the problem, becuase it can be controller by Color controller device. So turn ON, Off we actually turn ON OFF the warm white, which is not a mixed white from other colors, but a separate one. Thats why i need to find any command to controll the warm white chanel,

Using fibaro.call(2778, setBrightness,100) or fibaro.call(2778, setColor,{255,255,255,0})  does nothing with warm white chanell.. image.png.dafe22d566643d0bb099021339177eb5.png

Thanks for your suggestions

If the LED strip is a single-coloured white LED, it should be regulated as an output unit, i.e. 0 - 12V.

If it had been 12V halogen lamps, these are configured in the same way.

When there is no colour to adjust, you can only change the brightness.
    So the settings for a coloured LED have no function on a single coloured white LED.
    Have I interpreted your question correctly?

• Inquirer
  • 17 minutes ago, RH_Dreambox said:

If the LED strip is a single-coloured white LED, it should be regulated as an output unit, i.e. 0 - 12V.

If it had been 12V halogen lamps, these are configured in the same way.

When there is no colour to adjust, you can only change the brightness.
    So the settings for a coloured LED have no function on a single coloured white LED.
    Have I interpreted your question correctly?

Yes you did, and i know that..but as i said..using only the single output is buggy..not owrking as it is intended to work. Turning it ON and OFF sometimes doesnt work, as for some reason the colorcontroller borghtness has effect on it, and it just drops to 0 randomly. Thats why, i want to use the color controller device. We tested it, and it is working with manual interaction. 

@Neo Andersson Maybe a stupid question. If you have led stripe, only one color, no need for dimming. Why did you not connect it to a 12/24V power supply and put a simple zwave switch in front, in order to control it from fibaro?

• Inquirer
  • 27 minutes ago, Fabir said:

@Neo Andersson Maybe a stupid question. If you have led stripe, only one color, no need for dimming. Why did you not connect it to a 12/24V power supply and put a simple zwave switch in front, in order to control it from fibaro?

There is a need for dimming. It is a white color LED stripe, so user needs to dim it. As i said, the solution is to use the color controller (i call it like that), and that is working perfectly manually..

I need a command that accessed the warm white chanell or whatever it is.

Look at the picture..it is from my house for testing. At this moment my led is lit..nicely on warm white color. You can see the color controller device (the ring) shows that it is on, and it has white color.

But as you can see below, there is no any chanell in use. 

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2023_12/image.png.5e12060b42f62d243bfbd37e77feb6d1.png" />

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Neo Andersson

1 hour ago, Neo Andersson said:

We are struggling with this like half a year. The white led is connected to the white chanell of the RGBW modul, and no other chanells are connected, as there is only a white led stripe.

The problem is, that we tried to use only the white chanell, but it doesnt work properly. i need to control this device on the picture / I call it color controller

Please login or register to see this link.

and not the chanells itself, as when you are using chanells only, there must be a bug in Fibaro..Many times turning on a chanell doesnt work, because for some reason the brightness of color controller drops to 0, and so the chanell itself doesnt react to Turn On. We need to manually set brightness up again..Very annoying. 

So we found out, that using the Warm white only can solve the problem, becuase it can be controller by Color controller device. So turn ON, Off we actually turn ON OFF the warm white, which is not a mixed white from other colors, but a separate one. Thats why i need to find any command to controll the warm white chanel,

Using fibaro.call(2778, setBrightness,100) or fibaro.call(2778, setColor,{255,255,255,0})  does nothing with warm white chanell.. 

Thanks for your suggestions

1 hour ago, Neo Andersson said:

have u tried like this? 

Using fibaro.call(2778, setBrightness,100) or fibaro.call(2778, setColor,{255,255,255,255})

or

Using fibaro.call(2778, setBrightness,100) or fibaro.call(2778, setColor,{0,0,0,255})

the last have to be on 255 i think to have the "white" on, if it is 0 the channel is off.

Edited by Brors94

@Neo Andersson I have a fibaro rgbw controller where I have a connected a single LED to each output, not a LED strip. A red, green, blue and white LED. 

The controller ID is 164.  With the example lua script below, I can increase and decrease the brigthness of the white LED.

hub.call(164, 'setColor', 0, 0, 0, 166)
    hub.call(164, 'setValue', 4)
    hub.call(164, 'turnOn')
    hub.setTimeout(5000, function() end)
    hub.call(164, 'startLevelIncrease')
    hub.setTimeout(10000, function()
    hub.call(164, 'startLevelDecrease')
    hub.setTimeout(3000, function() end)
    hub.call(164, 'turnOff')
    end)

• Inquirer
  • 35 minutes ago, Brors94 said:

the last have to be on 255 i think to have the "white" on, if it is 0 the channel is off.

it has no effect on warm white..as i said..it has effect on chanells. Depending on color rgw values that you set in setColor call it will mix up thee desired color..it has nothing to do with warm white..unfortunatelly

I don't understand how your LED strip works.

I have in my greenroom 4 white LED strips connected to R, G, B and W.

I can adjust these separately from 0 to 100% but I can't change the "colour" from cold white to warm white, it's not possible to do that on a regular white LED strip.
    If you have an LED list that can be adjusted from cold-white to warm-white, it is a kind of RGBW LED and then you cannot configure it as I have said.

Maybe you have an RGBTW LED?

Edited by RH_Dreambox

1. Please check what is color temperature in mentioned LED strip (color temperature in Kelvin). PLease ask your seller about this.

2. If the LED strip has only one color (white) with a constant temperature in Kelvin, you cannot control temperature because its fixed and constans.

3. In this situation, you do not need to use the RGBW controller (dedicated to RGB org RGBW led) . Use other type of controller ie dimmer instead

Regards

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, mariokil said:

1. Please check what is color temperature in mentioned LED strip (color temperature in Kelvin). PLease ask your seller about this.

2. If the LED strip has only one color (white) with a constant temperature in Kelvin, you cannot control temperature because its fixed and constans.

3. In this situation, you do not need to use the RGBW controller (dedicated to RGB org RGBW led) . Use other type of controller ie dimmer instead

Regards

1. We dont need the color temperature to be adjusted. No need for it.

2. We dont want to control the temperature of the color. Just dimminig.

3. Yes we need, because using only a dedicated chanell for the single color, doesnt work.

• Inquirer
  • UPDATE, i have found out, that it is not due to the wam white slider, its just the brightness of the color controller, so i am updating the post

Guys, thanks for all the help, however my question was not about how to install a single white color led to a RGBW modul. These things are all clear to me. Everything you said is all clear to me.

We have a single 24 Volt one color white led strip connected to only 1 chanell /4th. All other chanells are out of use. 

As i said multiple times, problem is not in controlling the LED from app, or manually from a switch when user has time to play with brigthness if its not working. It is working, until for some reason the chanell device is not reacting as it should.  Probelm is, that the color controller device sometimes just dropps its brightness value, what has impact on the led strip, regardless which chanell is it connected to. 

We dont know the reason, so we tried to find some workaround in LUA script. On every event, that happens /button press, or app/ when user wants to turn ON the led strip, the QA checks if the brightness of the color controller device is not accidentally on 0, and if so, it will apply some brightness to it.

However, this method doesn't work, when using the chanell device. Using the color controller device is also buggy, as sometimes it shows brigtness > 0, turned ON, but the led still doesnt lit. So we need to move thje brightness slider a little bit, and it starts to work.

I am attaching a video, you can clearly see what is happening.

On the video,

1. first attempt is to turn ON the strip by turning on the chanell device /that is connected to - doesnt work, even when we increase the brightness

2. second attempt, i am trying to turn on the led by the color controller device - doesn't work, even if the brightness, and warm white value are set to higher than 0, then I move the warm white slider just a bit and the led turns on, and starts to work normally

however, i am showing on the video that even if the led is ON, /turned on by colorcontrolller device / the chanell device shows still OFF status..

This whole thing is buggy..

Edited by Neo Andersson
    • Like 1

hmm, it is actually buggy to me too when I use the 4 channel light insted of the color controller. It dosent seems to sync with eachother. 

but to control it with the Color controller i need to set the brightness and warmwhite up to 100 and 255 to get full light.

if ill set one of them down it will still be dimmed if i drag the other one too the top again. 

I have motion sensor and control the light scenes by "profiles" so have never seen this before (never using the colorcontroller either, and the  channel 4 is hidden). and I have no Local Switch on the inputs. 

@Neo Andersson

I may be stupid not to understand your problem, but using the RGBW function in the interface of a white LED strip works poorly or not at all.

A white LED strip should only be regulated as an "Output" device where you regulate the output voltage (brightness) from 0 - 100%.

This is what I do with my four white LED strips and there is never any problem with regulating the brightness.
    So I don't understand why you want to use the RGBW function in the interface when it is Output that should be used.

A 12/24V halogen lamp and a single colour LED are configured and controlled in the same way.

Look here...

Edited by RH_Dreambox
    • Like 1

@Neo Andersson

Neo, I know what you're talking about.
    I struggled with the RGBW2 module and currently use it to control two/four channels.
    Sometimes it happened to me that the brightness was set to a random value and I couldn't figure out why it was happening. Since we are no longer interested in dimming with manual buttons and always go to full on/full off I made the following change.
    We control the scene with the button.

The 399 device is RGBW2 - 1 channel (first light).

In the action of the scene is:

if 
    hub.getValue(399, "value") <98 then
    hub.call(399, 'turnOn')
    hub.call(399, 'setValue', 99)
    end

if 
    hub.getValue(399, "value") == 99 then
    hub.call(399, 'turnOff')
    hub.call(399, 'setValue', 0)
    end

As you can see, in the scene, you need to set the brightness to a specific value and at the same time send an instruction to turn it on. It's actually the same thing you do on the slider and ON/OFF buttons.

I'll just point out that Yubii control (on/off / slider) is preserved. The ramp-in and fade-out settings are also retained for a gentle ramp-in/change of lighting.

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, Martin_N said:

@Neo Andersson

Neo, I know what you're talking about.
    I struggled with the RGBW2 module and currently use it to control two/four channels.
    Sometimes it happened to me that the brightness was set to a random value and I couldn't figure out why it was happening. Since we are no longer interested in dimming with manual buttons and always go to full on/full off I made the following change.
    We control the scene with the button.

The 399 device is RGBW2 - 1 channel (first light).

In the action of the scene is:

if 
    hub.getValue(399, "value") <98 then
    hub.call(399, 'turnOn')
    hub.call(399, 'setValue', 99)
    end

if 
    hub.getValue(399, "value") == 99 then
    hub.call(399, 'turnOff')
    hub.call(399, 'setValue', 0)
    end

As you can see, in the scene, you need to set the brightness to a specific value and at the same time send an instruction to turn it on. It's actually the same thing you do on the slider and ON/OFF buttons.

I'll just point out that Yubii control (on/off / slider) is preserved. The ramp-in and fade-out settings are also retained for a gentle ramp-in/change of lighting.

Yeah, at this moment we are doing the same, no other option, however, we have a customer with 48 led stripes, so its kinda extra zwave traffic for nothing..just because this thing doesnt work as it should, and its buggy..

Lot of problems, with RGBWs in general..Not mentioning the input on them that is completly useless.

So yeah, now i am sending every sinlgle time, when turnOn is called, a setValue action too..and that is not a good solution, becuase in this case user is loosing control over the brightness..Its okay, when he doesnt want manually set the brightness sometimes, but if he does, it sucks..

Modul should work in a way, that after setting the brightness, it should keep that brightness until it is not again manually changed. So when turnOFF is called it turns off, and brigthness goes to 0, and when turnOn is called, the brightness goes to previously set value.

And it is working most of the time like this, but not always, and we can not find the reason, so nothing else left, just this stuppid workaround.

We are not using scenes at all, not a single one..Everything is done in LUA, so that eases the solution a bit. If it was all in block scenes, i would have given it up already.