Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Universal Dimmer withdrawn?

Guest lochnesz

Guest lochnesz

I just got the news from a reseller that the Swedish National Electrical Safety Board have, or will stop sales of Fibaro Universal Dimmer in Sweden. The reseller states that they are currently waiting for the report from the Swedish National Electrical Safety Board.

Does anyone have more information about this? Fiabro, maybe?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lochnesz
  • Topic Author
  • This news reached them yesterday, but they are still waiting for more information and for the report from the Saftey Board. They don't have all the details, and this is not a official statement from them, so I don't want to "out" them at this point. I posted this more as a question to get a second confirmation or denial about this issue.

[ Added: 2014-10-30, 08:45 ]

I would like a comment from Fibaro on this.

Well, I'm sorry to say that this is true..

Im looking at the report right now, the documents are public so anyone that pleases can get them if they want.

They did not order a complete recall from customers but stores have to stop reselling them.

Guest lochnesz
  • Topic Author
  • Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_sad.gif" alt=":-(" />

Guest lochnesz
  • Topic Author
  • I just spoke to the Swedish National Electrical Safety Board (

Please login or register to see this link.

) and the report will be available on their web during the day.

[ Added: 2014-10-30, 11:13 ]

A comment from Fibaro would be much appreciated though.

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_exclaim.gif" alt=":!:" />

I am quite sure that the legal department is already working on it

/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://forum.fibaro.com/uploads/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Just wait a little while for an official response.

The legal department can't do anything in this matter.

Fibaro has to update the dimmer hardware, or it will not be legal here in Sweden.

Guest lochnesz
  • Topic Author
  • Apparently it is both FGD211 and FGS211, not only FGD211.

One reseller stopped all sales of these, but also FGS221 and FGRM222 as a safety precaution.

Damn it! First the Wall Plug and now this!

Guys, can anyone that has seen the report, briefly explain in lay mans terms what the problem is with these products. I would be very surprised if they are only a problem in Sweden. If they are non-compliant there, then they are most likely non-compliant elsewhere, and I would like to put the summary of the report to my reseller ( UK based )

Guest lochnesz
  • Topic Author
  • Here are the reports, partly in English.

Also a link to The Electrical Safety Board:

According to the tests conducted it failed the creepage distance test according to standard:

EN 50428:2005 Clause 23. "Switches for household and similar fixed electrical installations.

Collateral standard. Switches and related accessories for use in home and building electronic systems (HBES)"

In short:

The distance and clearance between live parts inside the dimmer is to small.

It must be 3mm and it was now 1,6mm.

Now, i don't know how the test where conducted in Sweden,

it might be so that there are several testing procidures and variables during testing etc etc.

But this is what the report says.

And there where som other minor things like correct labelling and the manual, but this was the big thing.

*Edit added

Well the 1x relay is also banned(same reasons), no mention of the 2x relay (guess it wasn't tested)

And whats more the 16A relay only uses a 10A approved terminal for the wires..

Guest lochnesz
  • Topic Author
  • Since the standards are EN-standards, this is applicable for Europe.

Disaster...I guess it is only a matter of time before the other in-wall units are withdrawn since I guess they are built in the same way. The question is if Fibaro have the financial strength to handle both this and and the Wall Plug issue.

Sooo sad!

/emoticons/default_icon_cry.gif" alt=":cry:" />

I've sent a query to my own national consumer agency to see who is responsible for this in Ireland. I'm very concerned now that it has gotten to this stage. My electrician did raise concerns over the heat coming from the modules when he was installing them, but I naively trusted Fibaro was compliant with European standards. I guess given my experiences with the pie in the sky marketing material in relation to HC2 software capabilities, i shouldn't be surprised.

Fibar Group would like to announce that Swedish National Electrical Safety Board asked for clarification according construction details of Fibaro Universal Dimmer and FIBARO Relay Switch. Bearing in mind the knowledge and authority of Swedish Electrical Safety Board, Fibaro began additional testing aforesaid devices in order to verify its compliance with the regulations of Swedish market. Until the end of the tests, all deliveries of Universal Dimmer and Relay Switch to the Swedish market have been suspended.

Our company would like to stress the fact that all Fibaro devices are safe for both the user and his property and this action is a matter of Swedish market requirements – does not concern other countries.

Hopefully it's not to far away for these as well as the Wall Plug. I need more devices and now I have to buy the from other countries. Not a big problem but before I could just go to my supplier and pick them up the same day I decided to buy them...