Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Feature Request] - HC2 Backup modification

SmartStart

16 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

I believe there will be some modification to backup :>. Unfortunatelly i cannot say more, yet.

I can confirm this. Good things are coming :D

1 hour ago, TRicky said:

I can confirm this. Good things are coming :D

Oh man, there we go again..... :/

Let me guess, around CES 2018? :roll:

3 hours ago, Lambik said:

Oh man, there we go again..... :/

LOL, or 2019? 2017 won't be realistic anymore by now......

4 hours ago, Lambik said:

I think ISE is more realistic.

May be we should start by defining a set of real world requirements, for Fibaro to work to or maybe a 3rd party/smart developer. 

Mine wide be:

• Backup interface to produce a daily file that can be SFTPed to a destination
  1. My NAS drive
  2. FIBARO home, (they could charge?) 
  3. Other location 
  • Backup set should enable restore to;
  1. Current HC2/HCL as appropriate 
  2. Different (replacement) HC2/HCL
  3. Restore scripts only
  4. Restore base configuration; rooms,  floors location etc. 
  5. Restore panels ; heating cooling etc. 

Thoughts, please? 

• Like 1

As pointed out the Backup is only usefull for smaller problems. If your HC2 is bricked you are screwed and have to send the thing back to Poland.
What if you run your lights/heather/alarm/access doors/gates/ etc from it? Then not to mention they just steal it. Bye Bye usb stick

Do we book a hotel for x weeks?

I would like to have a spare HC2 and have a way to restore stat without anyone's intervention. WHat if its in a Holiday and we can't send it for 3 days then it gets lost or Fibaro/or someone else takes a long time to fix it. Then it needs to be returned.

Fibaro is advertised as the Rolce Royce of Home automation but has the support for obvious things that are more like a chinese knock off firm.

This has to fixed and quickly. I hear noise comming from Fibaro about things that are in the pipeline. Fibaro needs a bigger pipeline that flows a whole lot faster.

• Like 1

In short a HA-system like Fibaro´s HC2 should 1 have a hot spare/second controller as a fallback for a number of reasons. It should 2 be integrated with a UPS system and it should 3 have a backup / failover to a second isp/service. I don't even bother to mention correct time...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1152 said:

In short a HA-system like Fibaro´s HC2 should 1 have a hot spare/second controller as a fallback for a number of reasons. It should 2 be integrated with a UPS system and it should 3 have a backup / failover to a second isp/service. I don't even bother to mention correct time...

Very well said. I have two HC2 and 150 devices, and waiting patiently for when Fibaro supports hot failover. Backup's a must and wow - why can't it keep time!

I am really looking forward to a complete (encrypted) backup solution on a external device. I believe...backup will come ;-)

At the end, everything will be fine. And if it is not fine, than it isn't the end, yet.

Although the backup feature is very important in general, development just takes time.

We're talking about a powerful - still growing - system with nearly unlimited options for customizing and coding. That's why we (at least I) choose the products of Fibar Group S.A.

I am with you @tinman. Some comments are not appropriate. 

I wouldn't say that a proprietary system is much safer per se. Especially, if in some cases there isn't a backup possibility at all.

Of course, Fibaro has to face international competition. Therefor the Fibaro-team needs to be more flexible and faster than the competitors. Otherwise another company will overtake on the right.

The whole branch is in a rush - like Silicon Labs and Sigma Designs. Homee also has a focus on interoperability. IoT and smart home is a huge market...think of VHS and Video2000...which was technical the better product ? 

So let's support Fibaro and not blame on the guys.

@jakub.jezek: ISE 2018 (Feb.) will mean with the next fw release, which in turn means the feature is in alpha or beta status, right now ?

Happy new year to all and especially to the Fibaro development team! Keep on going!

3 hours ago, Orgli said:

@jakub.jezek: ISE 2018 (Feb.) will mean with the next fw release, which in turn means the feature is in alpha or beta status, right now ?

I believe it is in internal beta testing by Fibaro testers and it will probably be released when installer access will be complete.

• 4 weeks later...

@jakub.jezek installer access in 4.160 completed - external backup still in alpha / internal beta ?

On 22. 1. 2018 at 8:41 PM, Orgli said:

@jakub.jezek installer access in 4.160 completed - external backup still in alpha / internal beta ?

Hi @Orgli,

I could ask, but i believe, that guys in Fibaro will say to me, that it will be soon. Also installer access will be out very soon :D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest DigitalT

Can someone from Fibaro please put up a offical statment on eta on support for external backup? With so many alternatives in home automatisation and most support external backup I find it hard to suggest Fibaro as a safe soulution. 

On 3/19/2018 at 10:48 AM, DigitalT said:

Can someone from Fibaro please put up a offical statment on eta on support for external backup? With so many alternatives in home automatisation and most support external backup I find it hard to suggest Fibaro as a safe soulution. 

+1

In the changelog & declaimer of firmware update 4.170 was mentioned that this firmware is the last firmware were backups will be saved to the usb-stick. Also mentioned was that backups then will be uploaded to Fibaro-ID cloud.

This something I, personally, not like at all! I don't even have a Fibaro-ID, and will definitely will not be forced into getting one.

Why don't just a backup to a place I trust, like my own NAS or personal hard drive!!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lambik said:

Why don't just a backup to a place I trust, like my own NAS or personal hard drive!!

+1 +2 +3...... +100

13 hours ago, Lambik said:

In the changelog & declaimer of firmware update 4.170 was mentioned that this firmware is the last firmware were backups will be saved to the usb-stick. Also mentioned was that backups then will be uploaded to Fibaro-ID cloud.

This something I, personally, not like at all! I don't even have a Fibaro-ID, and will definitely will not be forced into getting one.

you mean this one?  "Version 4.170 is the last firmware version that allows to store backups on the controller. Up from version 4.501 backups will be stored in cloud (applies also to auto-backups performed before updating the firmware of the controller)."

Well, i does not means that there will be no way to save the backup locally ...