Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Analog Sensors for RGBW Controller

askme

My sensors are replaced spareparts, so they did not cost me anything.
There is one temp sensor and one humidity sensor in each unit. So the four inputs are two for temperature and two for humidity.
This type of sensors is expensive, yes. Count with 100 euro each.

The negative thing to use the RGBW-module as a temperature sensor is the low resolution. 0 to 10 volts in 100 steps on a -20 to +80 temp sensor gives you no decimals, only integers.
So if you use a 0-10V sensor (industrial standard), count with low resolution.
In my case (4-20mA) I get only steps of 1.25 degrees (2 to 10 volts divided by 100). The resistor 500 ohm steals 2 volt when translate volts to mA.

So to measure temperature with Z-wave the UBS-module is the best.
And you can not use the UBS-module to measure humidity. If you need humidity, use for example a USB-cable connected multi sensor.

Perhaps you can find cheap 0-10V or 0-5V sensors at Conrads or other places.

I agree with @RH_Dreambox.

Also be careful, the sensor has to support current sinking, meaning not all sensors are compatible without extra buffering. You probably don't find that in the manual of the sensor.

Here is an example of a problem sensor + possible fix:

I'd buy an Aeon MS6 to get light/temp/humidity but make sure to run it on USB power, not on batteries.

• Topic Author
  • 8 hours ago, petergebruers said:

I'd buy an Aeon MS6 to get light/temp/humidity but make sure to run it on USB power, not on batteries.

Thanks.  My application I need a waterproof probe  I haven't found an "all in one" sensor that allows for a remote probe.  My specific application is that I have an indoor pool area with a garden.  I need to control room HVAC, Dehumidifier, Pool lights, garden lights, pool heater, etc.  I am hoping one (or a couple) of RGBW can get me room temp, room humidity, water temp, and maybe soil moisture.(it would be nice to water the plants as well).  

I'll take any ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

May I suggest purchasing simple 12/24vdc temp and humidity displays with probe and relay output off Ebay, they cost about $9.00aus each and using the inputs on the RGBW as simple switches. I installed 4x RGBW units in my HVAC underfloor heating system and gave up on trying to find a temp sensor to suit. The cheapest one I found that was plug and play was $120.00 and in came with a bulky converter unit. I ended up buying several of the ones pictured and simply used them to switch the feed when the temp was reached. You can set them for a heat temp or a cooling temp. when they reach that temp they open the contacts. Run off the same power feed and allow you to have manual control and a visual feedback. Oh they also have a delay timer built in for delayed start. There is a Identical one that does Humidity. The real beauty is that you can 4 of these hooked up to one RGBW.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Dugbi
    Picture didnt stick
    • Like 1

On 25-4-2017 at 8:01 PM, askme said:

Thanks.  My application I need a waterproof probe  I haven't found an "all in one" sensor that allows for a remote probe.  My specific application is that I have an indoor pool area with a garden.  I need to control room HVAC, Dehumidifier, Pool lights, garden lights, pool heater, etc.  I am hoping one (or a couple) of RGBW can get me room temp, room humidity, water temp, and maybe soil moisture.(it would be nice to water the plants as well).  

I'll take any ideas.

Reviving an old topic, because you said: "I'll take any ideas".

If you're into DIY then a Z-Uno is something you are going to like:

Please login or register to see this link.

I thought that already when you posted this, but at that time I didn't own one yet. Last week I bit the bullet and now I'm convinced that you can get this thing to do what you want. There are drivers for popular chips like DS18B20 (temp), AM2301/DHT11 digital humidity and temperature sensor and any analog sensor.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
    • 3 years later...

Hi Everyone, i was wondering if this topic was ever resolved? 

i have 4x passive temperature sensors with 10 kOhm resistor at 25 oC that i need to connect to my Fibaro HC2. Anyone have any experience with doing this using either RGBW or the Smart Implant (or any other Fibaro compatible z-wave device)?

Thanks in advance!