Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Aeotec MS6 configuration parameter optimisation

AutoFrank

Question

Hi,

I have a 14 of these multi sensors around my house and I am trying to configure them as best as I can.

All of my devices are USB powered and were included under usb power. All are running 1.7 fw

I am also trying to rule out these devices as a potential root cause for what looks like busy zwave traffic / slow responses.

I looked at the parameters and there would seem to be options that can be tweaked. For example i can switch off reporting for UV as all my devices are internal.

I was wondering has any user changed specific parameters, why they changed them and what was the impact/benefit.

Thanks

_f

Edited by AutoFrank

26 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

not great news, I have dead device all over the system, many of them fibaro's own dimmer and relays..

Hi Frank,

Sorry to read that there are many dead devices. In the beginning I had some problems with devices dying on me until I moved HC2 for 1.5 meter and away from WiFi router and HUE bridge. Now I have only two door/window sensors that are reported dead, but they are far away from HC2 so I will have to add some plug or dimmer on proper place to relay their signal to the gateway. That is the price of wireless systems.

Cross fingers!

• Inquirer
  • Thanks @Sankotronic

Mine is right next to an access point but it's been there all the time. It on the top of a unit in the kitchen as this is kinda the centre of the house but am thinking about moving it

I moved it last night for support but it doesn't seem to have resolved it 

Is yours in the centre of the house or can it be anywhere where there is a cluster of power devices ....

Any input welcome... 

55 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Thanks @Sankotronic

Mine is right next to an access point but it's been there all the time. It on the top of a unit in the kitchen as this is kinda the centre of the house but am thinking about moving it

I moved it last night for support but it doesn't seem to have resolved it 

Is yours in the centre of the house or can it be anywhere where there is a cluster of power devices ....

Any input welcome... 

Oh man sorry to hear that :(

Mine is in the media cabinet in the livingroom, next to the reciever, on top of the blueray, next to the Harmony and NUC.

I've supervised a lot of site surveys at work for Wifi, Dect and GMS. They all complained about tilled up rooms like bathrooms and kitchens with tiles on the ground and on the walls all the way up to the ceiling.

Those kind of rooms reflected the signal in a bad way.

If signal strength turns out to be your problem, talk to @TRicky. If I remember correctly he has installed other antennas.

Maybe a reconfigure of the z-wave network can help?

How old are the "dead" devices? where are they in the network (on the outside ect), do  you have a blind spot where there are a lot of dead devices?

Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Hope a better positioning of the HC2 can be the answer.

Jim

• Inquirer
  • 5 minutes ago, jimicr said:

Oh man sorry to hear that :(

Mine is in the media cabinet in the livingroom, next to the reciever, on top of the blueray, next to the Harmony and NUC.

I've supervised a lot of site surveys at work for Wifi, Dect and GMS. They all complained about tilled up rooms like bathrooms and kitchens with tiles on the ground and on the walls all the way up to the ceiling.

Those kind of rooms reflected the signal in a bad way.

If signal strength turns out to be your problem, talk to @TRicky. If I remember correctly he has installed other antennas.

Maybe a reconfigure of the z-wave network can help?

How old are the "dead" devices? where are they in the network (on the outside ect), do  you have a blind spot where there are a lot of dead devices?

Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Hope a better positioning of the HC2 can be the answer.

Jim

@jimicr

questions good - I have two more

Is yours in the middle of the house ?

If I move it do I need to do anything for its new position

I'm thinking about putting in my utility room, no tiles but a bit of copper pipe

Just now, AutoFrank said:

If signal strength turns out to be your problem

any idea how I could find this out ?

Just now, AutoFrank said:

Maybe a reconfigure of the z-wave network can help

I though a whole network reconfig was a no no ?

1 minute ago, AutoFrank said:

How old are the "dead" devices? where are they in the network

They are well spread out and nicely random :-)

1 minute ago, AutoFrank said:

In your config - do you poll dead nodes ?

in your device polling do you use global polling or polling a a set interval ?

21 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Is yours in the middle of the house ?

If I move it do I need to do anything for its new position

I'm thinking about putting in my utility room, no tiles but a bit of copper pipe

1 Yes it is (now) centre of the house ground floor

It used to be in my utility cabinet on the first floor with hot and cold water, central heating and gas pipes behind it. I had to move because 1 of the 2 devices I had back then a wallplug would become dead.

2 I *think* I read somewhere the z-wave auto reconfigures but am not sure this is one for @petergebruers

3 try to stay as far away as possible they are connected to earth (I hope) and could mess with the signal

25 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:
    25 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

If signal strength turns out to be your problem

any idea how I could find this out ?

I hope Fibaro can tell you this and maybe with a wallplug or fibaro motionsensor and checking signal strength (I've never done this).

28 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

In your config - do you poll dead nodes ?

in your device polling do you use global polling or polling a a set interval ?

I do poll dead nodes I shoould be polling most of them, maybe one or two aren't checked.

I use global polling for all. I used to have a UBS with a custom poll because it was the farthest away at the time.

hope this answers some of your questions and hoping some others step in to help.

Jim 

Just found this on the French forum, maybe something to look at: 

Please login or register to see this link.

@jimicr,

I have indeed installed on both of my HC-2's a much bigger antenna. I can't prove the results by factual measurements

but in my opinion, and as they tried to teach me on my collage Electronics: a higher gain antenna  gives better results.

And I'm convinced I get a better coverage in my Z-ave Network.

• Inquirer
  • 10 minutes ago, TRicky said:

@jimicr,

I have indeed installed on both of my HC-2's a much bigger antenna. I can't prove the results by factual measurements

but in my opinion, and as they tried to teach me on my collage Electronics: a higher gain antenna  gives better results.

And I'm convinced I get a better coverage in my Z-ave Network.

@TRicky

Thanks....

Edited by AutoFrank

• Inquirer
  • 3 minutes ago, TRicky said:

Yes @AutoFrank?

@TRicky

@jimicr

@Sankotronic

@petergebruers

@jompa68

FOUND IT !! :D

.. or so I'm 95% sure....

This was the culprit , or should I say culprits as I have 6 of them...

No wonder why they were so cheap :(

I found this article

I unplugged them and restarted and the majority of my devices have come back. (I later excluded them)  

I've only had one "transfer failed" since

All my dead devices have come back....( i had 23 dead this afternoon)

Now, I've had a few 503 since but I hope that's just the system settling down....

I'll leave it for the evening but at the moment I'm a happy AutoFrank :-)

If all is good I'll need t include my swiid switches tomorrow and my two rgbw later in the weekend.

3 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

@TRicky

@jimicr

@Sankotronic

@petergebruers

@jompa68

I found this article

I unplugged them and restarted and the majority of my devices have come back. (I later excluded them)  

Now, I've had a few 503 since but I hope that's just the system settling down....

If all is good I'll need t include my swiid switches tomorrow and my two rgbw later in the weekend.

Very good to hear!!

And this is just why I always stuck with the more expensive brands like Fibaro it self and Aeotec after doing some research.

Even I can use a drink now! (Yeah I know I don't need much of an excuse ;) )

Jim

9 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

@TRicky

@jimicr

@Sankotronic

@petergebruers

@jompa68

I found this article

9 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

@TRicky

@jimicr

@Sankotronic

@petergebruers

@jompa68

I found this article

@AutoFrank you are going to sleep well tonight :)

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Inquirer
  • 7 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

@AutoFrank you are going to sleep well tonight :)

I'm definitely going to have that drink this evening but the 503 are still happening so I'll need to keep an eye on those 

2 minutes ago, jimicr said:

Very good to hear!!

And this is just why I always stuck with the more expensive brands like Fibaro it self and Aeotec after doing some research.

Even I can use a drink now! (Yeah I know I don't need much of an excuse ;) )

Jim

That's good advice and up to now I hadn't strayed from the path and I won't be straying again

This will leave only fibaro, aeotec, swiid, popp and TKB in my system

still getting the 503's :-(

@AutoFrank tried an other browser?

Or turn off HC2 and unplug for 20 minutes? (take the power supply out of the HC2) Maybe it'l jolt something

At the moment I'm outsourced to the tech squad in a hospital and most malfunctions on electric doors, acces control, elevators ect are easily solved by cutting the power for a while.

When the hospital staff asks me what was wrong I explain that everything runs on Windows vista ;)

Jim

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, jimicr said:

everything runs on Windows vista

love it @jimicr

but I hope that's not the case for our hospitals :-)

Hi @AutoFrank,

I'm glad you find culprits and that that part of problem is solved! I wanted to give you layout of my Angelina but my attachment quota is full so no further uploads from me until I get some solution from administrators.

Anyway, you solved problem with z-wave and that is really good. I'm going to have one nice drink for that!! Cheers! :-) 

• Inquirer
  • 40 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

Hi @AutoFrank,

I'm glad you find culprits and that that part of problem is solved! I wanted to give you layout of my Angelina but my attachment quota is full so no further uploads from me until I get some solution from administrators.

Anyway, you solved problem with z-wave and that is really good. I'm going to have one nice drink for that!! Cheers! :-) 

@Sankotronic

I'm also out of forum storage :(

Yep-half the problem solved 

503 should be easy for Fibaro support to fix .. not worried as much now ....

Need to send that $h1t back to vesternet on Tuesday 

Enjoy the weekend and that drink 

• Inquirer
  • Hi

I confirmed this this morning

I had two of the Greenwave single nodes for washing machine and dryer that I can't get at easily.

I had to re-enable it so the boss could put on some washing this morning and sure enough everything went all gaga.

That's the final nail in the coffin for these devices :D

Thanks for a the help and suggestions 

5 minutes ago, AutoFrank said:

Hi

I had two of the Greenwave single nodes for washing machine and dryer that I can't get at easily.

I had to re-enable it so the boss could put on some washing this morning and sure enough everything went all gaga.

I'm glad you where able to peel of layer after layer of the onion, to arrive at the ... never mind... :-)

Thanks for the feedback!

On 29/04/2017 at 3:25 PM, AutoFrank said:

Hi

Gosh...I wish there is an ability to consolidate a sticky post somewhere which links up all those threads about devices which cause z-wave network going gaga. Yours is not the first but a useful one for many other people stepping into home automation.

I avoided most unreliable makes for awhile now. Even popular makes like Aeotec, not all their devices are properly designed and behaves correctly in accordance to z-wave specifications too. There are others I had to return and stop purchasing their products too (under UAT or Return list in my signature).