Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Bogmadur

Question

Hi I have thought of making my home automated an are considering Fibaro sense a friend of mine are using it.

i have a few questions before i buy stuff and might not need the things i buy.

i though to learn to program in C# with this system to envole my programing skills.

Questions:

1. Home center. is that a server to make things easier but not so free as to make your own server. is it hard to make things work without homecenter?
  2. security is it better to install everything as a standalone system or is it best to use it on web my consern is security?
  3. does the system comunicate with telerams or as a PLC I/O?

so if i would start do i need homecenter or can i use my own computer and wireless network to make it work or is it hard?

1 answer to this question

Hi @Bogmadur,

You can write scripts in LUA (Lua is designed to be a lightweight embeddable scripting language) for our Home Center 2.

1. Fibaro Home Center 2 is:

Home Center 2 is the hub unit of high computing power, used to control the FIBARO system.

- HC2 communicates with up to 230 actors and sensors using wireless communication protocol named Z-Wave.

- Work of FIBARO control unit is protected by advanced data backup and recovery system.

- Using the user-friendly configuration interface of Home Center 2, you can create advanced, pre-defined scenes.

- HC2 can manage user rights and supports VoIP functionality and video intercoms.

- Home Center 2 gives users ability to write scripts in LUA, which extends the functionality of the system.

You can use other Z-Wave compatible controllers but our modules may not use theirs full potential. All devices are Z-Wave compatible and certified but some details may vary.

2. You can set up Home Center 2 without the Internet but then you won't have remote access or ability to make updates. 

3. HC/HC2 and modules utilizes Z-Wave communication (and HomeKit in limited way). As far as PLC is considered, it depends on a particular situation. You may not be able to read specific values.

Finally, you can't use solely your computer to start your journey because HC2 is equipped with Z-Wave chip, so is the rest of our modules, or HomeKit alternatively. Like I said, you can use different Z-Wave hub but that may limit capabilities of our modules.

Edited by I.Srodka