Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Connecting to doorbell

MartynH

Question

I have a doorbell (pictured) which I'm trying to integrate a USB into, but having problems.  I've tried following the instructions in the included manual, and also from

Please login or register to see this link.

, but without any luck, I think because the doorbells (there are two, hence the two sets of white wires) have a light and so one side of them is connected to 12v power. 

Can anyone tell me how I can get this working?

Thanks,

M

Please login or register to see this attachment.

5 answers to this question

You have to describe your issue more precisely,  draw some schematic or something how you connecting things.... We can see on the picture an AC power supply and AC door chime. You will need also power supply for UBS, a relay and UBS of course. 

You have to wire it exactly as described on your link, just to note, check manual for sensor to get correct wire colors.

Try with one door button , disconnect the button and touch the wires to each other.

You might have a voltage drop over the built in light on press button.

Edited by MARCUSP.I.L

• Inquirer
  • Thank you for your replies @jires & @MARCUSP.I.L

I currently have this setup:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_06/1201491055_Screenshot2019-06-30at13_35_29.png.fc839f5c50eab9ce7fb055c3c45d932f.png" />

but I'm unsure how to adapt this to any of the diagrams suggested in

. I don't have a separate power supply for the UBS, I'm getting the 12v feed from my transformer, so I'm wondering if I can adapt any of those diagrams to suit my setup.  I bought a relay (JD1914/12VDC - 40A/14VDC), but wondering if a sru-12vdc-sl-c (as shown in

) may be better suited.

the video at

seems to suggest it's possible, but it doesn't provide a way of doing it, just a bit of a rushed overview of the end product. 

Ideally I'm looking for a wiring diagram similar to the above, with what needs to be connected to what.

Any ideas?

Edited by MartynH

Hi again. You need to meet following requirements: 

1. You need to have an extra power supply to UBS. It has to be 9-30V DC with low ripple noise. Bad quality power supply will cause UBS working incorrectly. This power supply you have to the bell is just a transformer and working with AC current. You cannot power UBS up with this.

2. You need to have a relay. Because outputs on UBS can handle op to 150mA of current, and yours doorbell eating more. It's doesn't really matter which relay you use, but have to meet this conditions: Coil voltage need to match voltage on your power supply to UBS, and coil current need to be below 150mA. (with an electronic door bell, no need for relay in mostly setups) 

3. Wirring up. You need to just follow first diagram from the link.

Just imagine that you placing a relay contacts instead of your  push button. Yours relay has at least 4 (or 5) pins. 2 pins are coil (pin 86 and 85 on diagram), 3 others are contacts (common (30 on diagram), normally closed (87a) and normally open (87)). You need to figure out what is what, it depends on relay you use.

- Connect relay contacts common and normally open to your doorbell INSTEAD of existing pushbutton, exact same terminals, it will be 0F and 1 on your diagram.

- Coil pins connect to "+" from power supply  and one of output terminal OUT2 from UBS.

- Other terminal of OUT2 connect to GND ("-") of power supply.

- Your push button need to be connected to UBS cables IN2 and GND 

- Finally, power supply "+" need to be connected to P cable on UBS  and "-" to GND cable.

When you will finish with hardware and power UBS up, you will need to change parameter of input type in UBS. Parameter no. 4 has to be changed to 0 (Normal Open)

Edited by jires

• Inquirer
  • Thank you for your detailed reply @jires This look doable!

I seem to be hitting a wall in regards to getting the controller registered with my HC2.  I've currently got the UBS connected to a DC power supply which is rated as 12V 150mA but I'm not getting a response when I power it up and triple click the button with the HC2 in learning mode.  I've ensured that the polarity of the power supply is correct.

Questions:

- Is it possible that I've ruined this UBS by connecting it to an AC supply?

- Is the ampage of the DC power supply enough?

- What else could be wrong with this minimal setup?

Excuse the basic questions - this isn't my strong point!

Please login or register to see this attachment.