Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

PepsiMac

Fibaro HC3 - Is It Worthwhile?

Question

Anyone got any detail on release date and features for the HC3?

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_01/HC3.png.72d342f12816006f1555e39aa1762655.png" />

So far ....

• Processor: Quad-core Arm Cortex A53 (1.2 GHz)
  • RAM: 2 GB
  • HDD: 8 GB
  • Power supply: 12V DC
  • Dimensions: 220x140x35 mm 
  • Z-Wave (500): 868.0-868.6 MHz 869.7-870.0 MHz
  • 433MHz (OOK, FSK, GFSK): 433.54-433.92 MHz
  • 868 MHz (OOK, FSK, GFSK): 868.3-868.94 MHz
  • ZigBee 2405-2480MHz
  • Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n/a/ac) 2400-2483MHz 5150-5350MHz
  • Bluetooth Low Energy 2402-2480MHz

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, Thomasn said:

If I can not transfer my scenes and devices to the HC3 through downloading a backup from HC2 I’m not going to buy it. That is for sure. 

I am surprised to learn that there is no upgrade path from the HC2 to HC3. Customer migration is critical to customer retention strategies and if Fibaro is asking those who acquire an HC3 to start again, this will only afford a significant number of current customers to look at alternatives as they all involve starting afresh.

If anyone from Fibaro is paying attention, I recall how Apple's Migration Tool played a significant part in the market growth of the MacBook as people on IBM Compatibles were able to transfer without huge time and knowledge resources.

Like you, this news means that I am in no hurry to consider the HC3 any time soon.

• Inquirer
  • 8 hours ago, K.Drozynski said:

@D-Vine, I can honestly say that when it comes to HC3 and choosing Z-Wave 500 series chip over Z-Wave 700 series chip @tinman hit the nail on the head with his explanation.

Just to confirm, the point I make is that saving energy on the operation of the main unit and life of the device batteries is an advantage, however small some may consider that advantage to be. An engineer at Imperial College confirmed to me that the difference between the 500 and 700 confirm the 700 has energy saving and other advantages. Please understand I do not argue the quantum thereof but if I am going to spend £500 to upgrade from my 2005 Series 300 HC2 device, I would want to upgrade to a device as future-proofed as possible. Fibaro is good at the artwork, design and allure, I think I need it to be good on the technology as well to provide a more complete sense of a solution.

11 hours ago, tinman said:

z-wave SoC is not always sending, read the frequency specs, so the real max difference we talk is 50mW. Fibaro HC3 is mains powered - it is computer based system - always on - consuming 20-30W all the time, and you talk about renewable energy. With 700series, this would be not 70% of consumption reduction, but only 0,2%

The discussion about power consumption caused me to make some enquiries. If I may explain, I am a strategic consultant that advises several of the World's largest companies. One of the projects I currently consult on involves many of the tech giants looking at future homes. I asked techies the question about the power consumption, expecting, as usual, to be more confused that when I started.

I summarise various responses I received during the course of today. Apple Inc. reckons that there is a significant difference in the transmission energy of various protocols (not just z-waves) and that that the greater efficiencies would have marked impacts on the battery life of the individual devices. Apart from the cost of batteries and capacity storage, they indicate that  some devices go to the extent of looking at "energy generation by signal deflection", whatever that means. Ubiquiti reckons that as "Wifi 6" offers 1. Higher data rates, 2. Increased capacity, 3. Seamless performance in environments with many connected devices and 4. Improved power efficiency, they believe that home automation will go the way of multiple wifi devices (raspberry pi, arduino, direct sensors etc) and Imperial College (London) commented on a new type of lighting that outperforms LED and that all energy devices were being revised to go beyond A+++ ratings. They say that even small self-generation units are being prototyped (Zinc Air, Nitrogen or such like) that will do way with much of the need for wiring.

The caveat is that these sorts of organisations have "future room" technologies that often wait for a demand to be identified. The overall sense I got was that with the common introduction of mesh and multiple device wifi, stability and security will mean that wifi will become the common relay and sensor protocol. Apple mentioned that 3rd parties are working on drag and drop interfaces (with standard themes) in Filemaker Pro to control home automation systems, particularly in the social care, medical, building automation areas. One techie at Ubiquiti even reckons with wifi automation systems, simple web-design-like interfaces will overtake the structured interfaces of the current solutions although I think Imperihomes has already started down this path.

Anyway, the lack of an upgrade path has significantly cooled an appetite for the HC3 in the near term.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:01 PM, PepsiMac said:

Anyone got any detail on release date and features for the HC3?

Please login or register to see this link.

So far ....

• Processor: Quad-core Arm Cortex A53 (1.2 GHz)
    • RAM: 2 GB
    • HDD: 8 GB
    • Power supply: 12V DC
    • Dimensions: 220x140x35 mm 
    • Z-Wave (500): 868.0-868.6 MHz 869.7-870.0 MHz
    • 433MHz (OOK, FSK, GFSK): 433.54-433.92 MHz
    • 868 MHz (OOK, FSK, GFSK): 868.3-868.94 MHz
    • ZigBee 2405-2480MHz
    • Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n/a/ac) 2400-2483MHz 5150-5350MHz
    • Bluetooth Low Energy 2402-2480MHz

and the zwave AU frequency? 921.?

• Like 1