Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HCL stuck in U-Boot after update

AJD

Question

I initiated an update of the HCL via the App a few days ago. After that the contact was lost.
I have tried all recovery options I have found with no luck.

I opened up the HCL and discovered the AM3354 module inside.
I then found the console port (3pins: 0V, Rx and Tx. 3.3V level signals) and see that it is stuck in U-Boot:

U-Boot 2011.09-00010-g16f5006-dirty (Dec 18 2013 - 20:28:15)

I2C:   ready

DRAM:  128 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
No daughter card present
Did not find a recognized configuration, assuming General purpose EVM in Profile 0 with Daughter board
NAND:  HW ECC Hamming Code selected
256 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0, OMAP SD/MMC: 1
Error: Bad compare! failed
NAND read from offset c0000 failed -74
*** Warning - readenv() failed, using default environment

Net:   cpsw
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
U-Boot# help
U-Boot# printenv
U-Boot#

It stops in U-Boot as there are some memory failure, but it does not respond to any known command.

It reboots every 8th minute.

The LEDs are flashing as in recovery mode, but HCL is not visible on the net and and it does do not respond on 192.168.81.1 when PC is connected directly.

I find that a bit strange. Is U-Boot really holding the recovery web server?

If command interface had worked, it could maybe be possible to restore the on board flash using TFTP.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:53 AM, raymonvdm said:

I`m trying to recover  a HCL with this procedure and i have had some success 

- First soldered the bridges need

- Then booted into programmer mode by connecting the left side of R9 to the metal of the RJ45 plug

- File Transfer Xmodem Send hcl_u-boot_spl_2011.09.00000
- File Transfer Ymodem Send hcl_u-boot_2011.09.00000_bootdelay.bin

- Push the button to boot into recovery mode

- Send the above files again
- The unit got an ip from my DHCP server and i could reach the recovery portal
- Then recovered using a file 

Please login or register to see this link.

- And again using 

Please login or register to see this link.

0/patch.tar.gz

- Then again booted the recovery portal and performed a Recover System and need to send the X/Y transfers again

- Then logged in to the system and update to 4600

- But when rebooting in need to sens X/Y transfers again

It looks like i`m havind a working system, but it is not booting when applying power, in need to go to programmer mode and send the files for it to boot. 

Which step did i mis to repair the system so it wil boot normally, it is possible that a dead battery on the board is giving al these issues?

I have the same trouble... Can anyone help with this?

Hello, 

my HCL is also dead. It just flashing light until forever. No boot into normal or recovery boot. 

I ordered a PT232 Uart USB device, but did anyone successfully fixed there HCL by flashing the files? 

My PT232 worked fine.
I was able to flash the custom recovery to the HCL. But now, where everything seems to be ok on the system I have the same problem, that it only starts correct when I flash the "boot_spl" and than the "bootdelay.bin" file.
When the system starts normally only the leds are flashing..

Did anyone found a solution? I could do everything and my system is running well, but if I power down and the on, I need to do all again to start. Didn't find answer for that. @jack.daniels can you help please?

Thank you!

On 7/24/2020 at 8:40 AM, jack.daniels said:

Hi, I have managed to recover my HCL using the debug port.

Patching the R9 left side to GND the board started in UART boot.

I have reflashed system and recovery kernels from uart u-boot (using tera term app) . And managed to boot the system.

It was not easy, because HCL has some kind of WatchDog timer, witch restarts the board every few minutes. Its designed to reset system on unsuccessfull boot. When linux is running the timer cleared by the script:

Please login or register to see this code.

But I had no luck to perform it using u-boot gpio commands (as far as I understand, it should be gpio set 2 24)

Attaching the files for you: spl, u-boot and tera term macro for boot the board.

The original u-boot image was patched to add 10 seconds bootdelay (ignoring env value)

Unfortunately, I dod not manage to find the UBI enabled u-boot image to be able to install Custom Recovery rootfs with UART.

Stock recovey has console login disabled, so can only watch the linux log.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi, I'm at u-boot. I need to reflash recovery because it is corrupt on nand. Can you please tell me how to do that on u-boot? I don't know the commands and do you have the original recovery kernel? I can't fing it anywhere. Thank you!

On 7/24/2020 at 4:40 AM, jack.daniels said:

Hi, I have managed to recover my HCL using the debug port.

Patching the R9 left side to GND the board started in UART boot.

I have reflashed system and recovery kernels from uart u-boot (using tera term app) . And managed to boot the system.

It was not easy, because HCL has some kind of WatchDog timer, witch restarts the board every few minutes. Its designed to reset system on unsuccessfull boot. When linux is running the timer cleared by the script:

Please login or register to see this code.

But I had no luck to perform it using u-boot gpio commands (as far as I understand, it should be gpio set 2 24)

Attaching the files for you: spl, u-boot and tera term macro for boot the board.

The original u-boot image was patched to add 10 seconds bootdelay (ignoring env value)

Unfortunately, I dod not manage to find the UBI enabled u-boot image to be able to install Custom Recovery rootfs with UART.

Stock recovey has console login disabled, so can only watch the linux log.

I follow the steps , but whenever i send u-boot file it got stuck on 52%. I tried many times and always stuck at 52%. any ideas? 

Hi,

Any update ? I see exactly the same issue: "NAND read from offset c0000 failed -74". Is there any solution to fix it definitely ?

@jack.daniels did you succeed ?