Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Sonos QuickApp?

olekenneth

Question

Hi there! 

I'm just returning to Fibaro now, with the HC3 up and running for a few days. I used HC2 from 2012 to 2018 when it died. Using Homey since that.  Now, I'm curious about HC3 and the new possibilities with QuickApps. 

No doubt, Fibaro HC is the best for controlling my 60+ mostly Fibaro z-wave devices. But in the past, integration with SONOS, HUE, Alarm systems, Door locks, Video door bells etc was poor. That integration is better elsewhere. 

Now, with QuickApps, can we expect to see better "plugins" for these kind of IP/API devices? I.e. better than the rudimentary version 1.0 plugins of the past, that's never maintained? 

I'd love to hear that smart speakers, be it Sonos or Google Home or Alexa, could fully intregrate audio output from my smart home system. Both TTS announcements and sound output from scenes. In a simple and usable way. (I know this has somewhat been possible for years through special VDs with much hassle, but I was never able to make it work properly.)

Same goes for Hue, sensors and actors. 

Or IKEA smart products like blinds. 

And connecting Alarm systems with 2-way communication for sensor status etc. 

And a QuickApp for my ventilation system. 

What do you think? Am I too optimistic?? 

Regards, 

Ole Kenneth

Edited by olekenneth
Spelling

10 answers to this question

On 4/4/2020 at 4:19 PM, olekenneth said:

Now, with QuickApps, can we expect to see better "plugins" for these kind of IP/API devices?

i think there is general misunderstand in place. Quick Apps are for us - users / integrators, not for FIBARO. 

That said, if you need a specific implementation, start coding or ask someone else to create such implementation for you.

• Inquirer
  • Well, yes and no... 

So, in your opinion, QuickApps will not bring better integration with non-Z-wave devices? Unless each user makes it himself? 

If that's the case, I feel so sorry for Fibaro and the whole user community.

Fibaro's integration with other devices sucks. 

Wake up and smell the roses! Go check the App store on homey.app for an Idea of what the Fibaro universe is missing. 

I was hoping that QuickApps would start to show up, providing drivers/plugins/apps for numerous smart devices. Not developed by Fibaro, but by advanced users/developers. 

I can certainly wrap my head around simple LUA scripting, but I nor most of us can make a proper Sonos integration. Just ask Krikroff how difficult it is... 

Instead of searching obscure french forum threads for tips and tricks on how to script things together, I would like to go to the Fibaro marketplace and browse through ready made plugins/QuickApps that actually work. If Fibaro is solely for the enthusiastic LUA scripting nerds, then we can just wrap it up and call it a day. 

I think Fibaro is hoping for exactly this development. I can't see how they can survive long without a steady stream of properly made plugins/drivers for other products. 

I don't mind paying for apps, in exactly the same way I happily pay for useful Mobile apps in App Store / Google Play. But of course, every end user don't make them all by themselves. 

I'm cheering on Fibaro. But I won't be so forever unless HC3 becomes a real smart home platform. 10 years ago Z-wave was a good shot at home automation. Today it's only a small fraction. HC3 must bring in the rest. If not through QuickApps, how?? 

Ole Kenneth 

• Like 1

Ole,

1 hour ago, olekenneth said:

Unless each user makes it himself? If that's the case, I feel so sorry ...

I was hoping that QuickApps would start to show up, providing drivers/plugins/apps for numerous smart devices. Not developed by Fibaro, but by advanced users/developers. 

so what's your point exactly?

1 hour ago, olekenneth said:

So, in your opinion, QuickApps will not bring better integration with non-Z-wave devices? 

no, i said exact the oposite - QuickApps are THE way to add - easily - implementations for 3rd part devices. They has been created for user / Integrators, to stop the problem with less powerful VDs which could be created by users and much more powerful plugins which could be created only by FIBARO.

Of course FIBARO can use them as well, they already did, check the KB links.

I can certainly wrap my head around simple LUA scripting, but I nor most of us can make a proper Sonos integration. Just ask Krikroff how difficult it is... 

Sonos implementation is more or less complex, however not because of LUA or QuickApp restriction. The major problem is Sonos API itself. 

I would like to go to the Fibaro marketplace and browse through ready made plugins/QuickApps that actually work. If Fibaro is solely for the enthusiastic LUA scripting nerds, then we can just wrap it up and call it a day. 

this is why there is Marketplace, all we need are ppl who will spend time and develop solutions. The best way is probably to ask these who did it in the past, as you mentioned @Krikroff , no idea if he already started with Sonos QA. I think it does not make sense that other ppl waste resources if he is already working on it. Same for other implementations. Just create new threads and ask others to join the specific project / group. Nothing will get done without involvment.

Edited by tinman
    • Like 2

Yes Sonos QA is in progress (70%) please stay tuned ?

Edited by Krikroff
    • Like 3

8 hours ago, Krikroff said:

Yes Sonos QA is in progress (70%) please stay tunes ?

Good news, @Krikroff! Thank you for your work!

• Inquirer
  • I'm really glad to hear that! Thanks @Krikroff!! 

So, there's a great potential for HC3 becoming a much better platform than HC2 ever was, simply because of QuickApps integration with other devices. 

So, I'll try to contribute as well. Must try to get a group together to develop QA for the best door lock, IDLock. ?

Optimistic then. 

Ole Kenneth

On 4/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, tinman said:

Sonos implementation is more or less complex, however not because of LUA or QuickApp restriction. The major problem is Sonos API itself. 

Why is this complex? Fibaro should hire a good developper then. With Node-RED there are open source modules and with a single click I can control and program my whole Sonos environment with visual tools and this is free, made by people in their spare time.

• Like 1

Hi guys, check this out: 

Please login or register to see this link.

Dear Kirkroff,

The QA works well thanks for that. However somehow I can't seem to play a mp3 file or file from my Sonos Library. Could you please show me which fields need to be put in the actions tab in order to play an alarm over my sonos speakers?

Found this:

-- Play a file available on local network and registrered in SONOS music library
    @param string path
    @param string restore [boolean:true(default)|false] makes a snapshot before and restore after has played the file
    @param number volume : the volume
    -- EX:
    --fibaro.call(1673, "playFile", "WIN-35HTGV34R7S/Musique/CD/Dream Theater/A Change of Seasons/01-A Change of Seasons [Medley].flac")
    --fibaro.call(1673, "playFile", "192.168.1.200/Musique/TTS/Google parle aussi en Français.mp3", true, 10)

fibaro.call(114, "playFile", "192.168.178.XX/LAPTOP-XXX\Users\mauri\Music\Alarm Sonos\AlarmSound2.mp3", true ,10)