Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

"Serious problem detected"

marcwau

Was the "Serious problem detected" fixed in the new update? Two weeks ago, Fibaro Support said it would be resolved in the "next update", but I don't see it in the Change Log of 5.092.

yes it should be fixed

On 12/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, marcwau said:

Was the "Serious problem detected" fixed in the new update? Two weeks ago, Fibaro Support said it would be resolved in the "next update", but I don't see it in the Change Log of 5.092.

What where your symptoms?
Did this reset your HC3 every x days? And sometimes crash fully and a reboot would be needed?

• Topic Author
  • @SDeath Yes, the HC3 restarted unexpectedly - 9 times during the past month, with sometimes 5 or 6 days in between, sometimes two days in a row. The Notifications logged the same message every time "Serious Problem detected. System was restarted".

I also had a different crash twice this month, where the web GUI still seemed functional, but devices no longer responded, so nothing worked. The only remedy was a restart. There was no message in the Notifications panel in those cases.

Edited by marcwau

Sounds a lot like the issue I am having with my HC3. But according to support this version doesn’t specifically fix my issue. 
    the last 3 previous versions might have but they didn’t.  So maybe this one does work. 
    I’ll try tomorrow. 

This version didn't fix my "Serious problem detected" issue.
    Had another crash this morning.

I have a ticket open now for this issue for 6 months, nowhere am I any closer to a solution.

• Topic Author
  • That is bad news.

Support told me a few weeks ago that it was on top of their priority list and that it would be fixed in this update.

And A. Socha confirmed...

On 12/23/2021 at 5:58 PM, A.Socha said:

yes it should be fixed

I hadn't upgraded yet, because I am even more scared of Beta updates than of the regular ones, and I wanted to see feedback on this version.

• Like 1

I have quite different problem.

When I reboot the HC3, sometimes system reboot fails.

So I need to re-plugin the power code. Press the power button not works. Only re-power works.

I like how everybody tells something different. ;-)
    I had the problem since I got my HC3 and that is now 10 months ago.
    They where really trying to get things fixed for the first 4 months, after reporting the issue, support had access to my HC3 every time.
    But the last few months I have the feeling they have given up and just tell me to be patient.
    Good for me to know I am not the only one, maybe more priority will be given if more users with this problem show up.

The biggest problem is the HC3 is the center of my burglary, fire and CO alarm. Without it things aren't fully working and this is a safety issue.
    I am going to need a HCL next year to extend into the new garage to be build, to extend the same protection to it.

Not too happy with this big issue, but for me it is the only issue. It's just so damn important for the HC3 to be working.
    I've had a hand full of big crashes where the HC3 was completely locked up, and about a dozen resets where everything came back after a few minutes.

The only plus is the restore procedure is working very good and can be done in a few minutes, I have now done so a few times already.

Edited by SDeath

Very annoying for you.
    But because this is a different issue, it might be better to open your own thread or support ticket for it to keep things clear for others reading the thread.

9 minutes ago, rangee said:

I have quite different problem.

When I reboot the HC3, sometimes system reboot fails.

So I need to re-plugin the power code. Press the power button not works. Only re-power works.

As @A.Socha said, one of the possible reasons is fixed in this version.
    We are still focusing on this one to find every possible reason for this error.

We are fully committed to resolve this one, I assure you. 

• Like 1

I really hope so, because waiting 6 months really is too long to get such a serious issue fixed.

• Topic Author
  • I believe @m.roszak and @A.Socha that this error has the focus and the commitment of the Fibaro team, but I have to say that I am very disappointed in the stability of the HC3. Previously, I had been running the HC2 for 7 years, of which the past 3...4 years were stable and reliable, even with 155 devices.

Because of the bad experiences with updates in the first years of the HC2, I was not in a hurry to make the switch to HC3 when it was introduced. 

But after being on the market for almost TWO years now, I assumed that the HC3 would be stable enough by now to take the plunge and upgrade. 

So mid November, I did a clean install on the HC3, and I have regretted that decision every day.

I was forced to buy an additional HC3L to get all my devices included, I have had 10 "Serious problem" restarts in 32 days, a couple of hangs, lights that are shown to be "on" while they remain off, and half of my windows and doors that suddenly show "opened" while they are still closed, parameters that change themself back to previous settings, fictious heating graphs, etc. And not to forget the app that is so slow, unintuitive and user-unfriendly that it has a WAF of zero.

If it wasn't so much work to go back to the HC2, I would seriously consider it.

I really feel bad about it, because I still think Fibaro has (potentially) one of the best systems and devices, if only the quality and testing of the software would follow. As a loyal customer for 7 years, I have been confronted with this problem over and over again and I don't see much improvement. With every upgrade, I start to sweat before clicking the upgrade button... and hope for the best.

I also have the exact same serious problem detected symptoms with reboot.
    Or reboot without the message.
    I also have a ticket open for a few weeks with some dump attached. The satus is: 2ND LINE VERIFICATION ?

We are several to have this problem I hope that support analysis will soon solve the problem in a Stable version

My story is sort of the same, had a HC2 for 8 years which was very stable, after a few years of firmware updates, and doing all my own programming.
    Beginning of this year there was a problem booting, the GRUB lost it's correct settings and couldn't boot into recovery or upgrade the firmware anymore.
    Just a software issue but I had to send it back to Fibaro to get fixed, I could have done it myself if Fibaro would have given me all the instructions and software tools.

But I eventually decided to upgrade to the HC3.
    Here is where our stories differ a bit, apart from this serious instability issue I am very happy with the HC3 itself.
    I rebuild the entire system from scratch instead of migrating.
    Most of my code required just some minor changes to make work.

1 hour ago, marcwau said:

I believe @m.roszak and @A.Socha that this error has the focus and the commitment of the Fibaro team, but I have to say that I am very disappointed in the stability of the HC3. Previously, I had been running the HC2 for 7 years, of which the past 3...4 years were stable and reliable, even with 155 devices.

Because of the bad experiences with updates in the first years of the HC2, I was not in a hurry to make the switch to HC3 when it was introduced. 

But after being on the market for almost TWO years now, I assumed that the HC3 would be stable enough by now to take the plunge and upgrade. 

So mid November, I did a clean install on the HC3, and I have regretted that decision every day.

I was forced to buy an additional HC3L to get all my devices included, I have had 10 "Serious problem" restarts in 32 days, a couple of hangs, lights that are shown to be "on" while they remain off, and half of my windows and doors that suddenly show "opened" while they are still closed, parameters that change themself back to previous settings, fictious heating graphs, etc. And not to forget the app that is so slow, unintuitive and user-unfriendly that it has a WAF of zero.

If it wasn't so much work to go back to the HC2, I would seriously consider it.

I really feel bad about it, because I still think Fibaro has (potentially) one of the best systems and devices, if only the quality and testing of the software would follow. As a loyal customer for 7 years, I have been confronted with this problem over and over again and I don't see much improvement. With every upgrade, I start to sweat before clicking the upgrade button... and hope for the best.

@marcwau
    Some if the mentioned problems are resolved (like restoring parameters to previous values in Gateway Connection setup), as for including battery operated devices - please to not pin on us Z-Wave protocol issues ;)
    I know that it is frustrating but Z-Wave, although it is the most sophisticated protocol for Smart Home, it still has unresolved problems and some poorly implemented functions.

I would really like to take a look on other things that you experience, if you reproduce something that is annoying please PM me with details.

Going back to the topic, it is really on high priority and I will keep you posted on progress.
    I know that its frustrating but I think its better that gateway can detect the issue and restart itself than to hang.  
    We are also shifted some resources to general maintenance and we would like to keep it that way. 

• Like 1

But why does it have to reboot the entire thing?
    Why can't just the faulty process be restarted?
    Why does it take 3-5 minutes to boot?
    It is based on Linux right?
    How can something be based on Linux and be so unstable?
    Linux is known for it's stability.
    And yet still just the few of us have had major crashes as well, where there hasn't been any response from the HC3.
    We ware talking about reboots every week at least, sometimes several times a week.
    Stability is key for a device that is to be used against, burglary, flood, fire or CO protection.
    Let alone home automation that is a never ending task.

You can and have taken a look in my devices every time it has crashed for the first 4 months, I reported the issue.
    Now nobody takes a look anymore, if you want to get this fixed you will need to see what is happening right?
    So why nobody wants to see anymore what is happening?

@SDeath That is not that simple.

There are few layers of redundancies, if specific process crashed only this one will be restarted - as you suggesting it should be done.
    Gateway fully restarts only when something critical is happening (I think that in cases like kernel panic due the issue with a driver for example, which cripples entire system - not only our processes).

So, that is why this error is called "serious problem detected".

Above example is just an example ( ;) ), I am no developer so I can't tell you exactly what is the cause of this issue but I assure you that really competent guys are working on it. 

Some of the issues you are experiencing are not related strictly with "our part" of the firmware, some of them may.

As I said, I am confident that our team will find a solution. 

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • I had an open ticket with Fibaro Support for the "Serious problem detected"; it had sent log files and the status was "2nd line verification" for a few weeks. But today, the status changed to "Resolved", with a message saying that I should "try to upgrade to the latest Beta; it might help".

We know by now that the beta does not fix the crashes. So "Resolved" is a bit optimistic... but optimism seems to be enough reason to close a ticket.